SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default I've joined the VUE clan

Guess I'll have to start reading and posting in this forum now too.

I officially joined the VUE clan this morning. Bought an new 05' FWD automatic with ABS and Traction control. Onyx with Grey cloth. (Great minds think alike...at least on color...Charlie.) Probably the last 4 cylinder automatic left on the planet, and I just lucked into it. (I SWEAR it was not on the lot 2 months ago!) One of only 2 05's left on the lot, the other being an AWD V6. With the financing offers etc... I could not justify just leaving the Explorer parked and running up the miles on my SL2 in the name of fuel savings.

Even with the slightly higher payment,($35) and massive $6 a month increase in my insurance, if I buy 1 less tank of gas a month, (driving both vehicles) I break even. I gain the advantage of a warranty, which I extended to 5/60 as well, meaing the VUE will be covered bumper to bumper with no deductable for then entire term of the loan. Over 60 months, my total finance charges are $512! This deal was so good, it was nearly 60 months same as cash.

Just wondering from you fellow VUE fans, what sort of MPG I can realistically expect? Though anything better than the average 16 mpg the 99' Explorer I traded in on it was getting will be welcome.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: I've joined the VUE clan

Don't expect to get any kind of solid mileage numbers for the first 5,000 miles. You might get a decent trend... I remember mine being all over the place, however. Right about the time that it starts revving freely and really pulling hard, it will be turning good numbers.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:51 AM   #3
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Guess I'll have to start reading and posting in this forum now too.

I officially joined the VUE clan this morning. Bought an new 05' FWD automatic with ABS and Traction control. Onyx with Grey cloth. (Great minds think alike...at least on color...Charlie.)
Charlie's is black with tan interior. But you do have the same color combination as fotovue's Red Line!

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:33 AM   #4
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the ranks, wolfman! An S-series and a VUE, good combination Black and grey, perfect color!

I've got 4,000 and change on my manual VUE and my mileage has been as low as 23.54 and as high as 29.85. Much like you, a huge gain from the 16MPG I was getting on my previous SUV. If you want to see high numbers, keep the windows closed.

Going from a 5 year old 4WD Cherokee to a brand new FWD VUE, my insurance actually dropped a couple bucks. I didn't think that was possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:42 AM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy
Don't expect to get any kind of solid mileage numbers for the first 5,000 miles. ~D.J.~
Mine didn't really seem to start getting good mileage until about 20K miles. Before that, I was in the low 20s (21-23) for city/highway driving. Lately it's been 27 or so. I've found that driving style with the VUE plays a HUGE role in fuel economy- unlike my SC where I can run it up to 5K RPMs at each shift and still get 32 MPGs or short shift at 2500 RPMs and still get 32 MPGs.

I changed my oil twice with dino oil in the first 5K miles and then switched to Mobil 1. This could have something to do with my mileage not doing all that well until 20K miles. Oil changes really couldn't be any easier on the VUE. If you could get the VUE inside on your wife's brand new white carpet- you could easily change the oil parked on top of it without spilling a drop.

Welcome to the VUEs wolfman. I also traded an Explorer-like (Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0L V8 motor and AWD) on my VUE. I don't think we ever saw mpgs above 19. But man would it get up and go! And oh the donuts it would do in the snow! AH! And I really liked the way the door sounded when it shut too. The large rear area was sure nice for my 3 dogs- have to put the seats down in the VUE to get all 3 in. It was kinda hard at first to go from a vehicle that cost probably $35k new to one that cost $18k, but now I don't even think twice about it and I like my VUE.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
Caprice
Advanced Member
Caprice is on a distinguished road

I seriously thought the title said "Vue-tang clan"

I need to get out more...

~ Simplicity is Beauty.
"Who needs electronic locks and windows, power steering, or automatic sliding
doors if you can trade it all for a little excersise and some spare change?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Caprice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Caprice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #7
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Black on Grey... Great minds DO think alike.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:04 AM   #8
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Congrats Wolfman. I calculated my last tank full at around 26mpg. And that was mostly city/rush hour type of driving. I'm at 36K miles now. I've gotten as high as 30 with all interstate driving, and I have AWD, so your numbers will improve. BTW, I enjoy seeing you and Keegach sparring in the Politics area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
LTS
Advanced Member
LTS is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

With 53K miles on the 03 FWD4 VUE we are getting roughly 28-28.5 mpg in our VUE. Solid as a rock. Just got new tires too.. it's a happy VUE. (well, it will be when the wheel speed sensor gets replaced).

Welcome to the club.

LTS!

<--- My avatar proves that people should be mindful of what they place on the Internet. She's gotta be proud!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LTS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LTS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:39 AM   #10
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

I haven't seen too many numbers with the non-CVT FWD4

Black and Gray is a great combo..

Black and Tan would just make me thirsty all the time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #11
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Welcome home Wolfman.

As far as mpg, my '03 has recorded a low of 24.6 to a high of 29.something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #12
PCF
PCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nicePCF is just really nice

2004 VUE 2.2L
2005 VUE 2.2L
Thumbs Up Re: I've joined the VUE clan

Congratulations, Wolfman!!

Welcome to our world. I get between 24-29 MPG on both of mine, FWD 4 5 speeds.

If you need any information from the factory Service Manual, let me know, I have the 2004 version. You'll love driving the Ecotec.

2005 Vue / 2004 Vue
Both with 2.2L 5 speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PCF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PCF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #13
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Congrads on the new VUE,and thanks for all your input on the S cars,my daughters cam cover is still dry after following your instructions.I never recorded the MPG on my 03 four cylinder,but its amazing. 29 on the highway is very believable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:45 AM   #14
RicksVue
RicksVue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Wolfman, congrats on the new Vue.
Another data point on mileage - over the last 8,375 miles I've averaged 22.26 MPG, almost all with AC engaged. Best per-tank MPG was 26.62, worst was 18.47. I'm a leadfoot (or was when gas was closer to $2/gal).

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicksVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicksVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RicksVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
05vueblue
05vueblue is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I wish mine got as good as some of the others here, I just figured mine to be 19.2mpg, but I drive like my backside is on fire. I need to drive "nice" for a bit to see how mine actully is. I think with the addition of my cold air intake it dropped in miliage, people swear it is suposed to increase. Well I traded mpg for power, with the intake and the exhaust system it has wild migrange which I like. I just turned 14.5K so maybe as it get more miles on it like the 20k posting earlier mine willl get better---hopefully...

PS congrates on the VUE---They are fun....I probably have the most crap on mine in the DC area

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05vueblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05vueblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05vueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #16
GirlWithAVue
GirlWithAVue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Congrats on the new VUE! I also have Onyx w/gray, '06 3.5L and love it! Originally wanted Black and Tan, but I am glad I ended up with the gray. I think it won't show as much dirt as the tan (not that I'll let it get dirty ). I drive it real nice and still at best have only gotten 19.6 mpg. Hopefully it will improve. Only got about 1400 miles on it though.

2006 FWD V6 VUE Black/Grey/Chrome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GirlWithAVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GirlWithAVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GirlWithAVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #17
lawnboy
lawnboy is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Congrats!!

I just ordered a 2006 AWD onyx with gray leather, sunroof and stereo upgrade. The only difference is you have yours now and I have to wait a couple of months Please post photos when you get a chance.

Great choice!!

..lawnboy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lawnboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lawnboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:31 PM   #18
bboyd
bboyd is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

wolfman,

I'd say you made a great choice!

My '05 2.2l FWD now has 4,600 miles on it. I absolutely love the vehicle!

My best mileage was 31.4 MPG doing 99% highway on a long trip and not going over 65MPH. Actually even had a slight head wind too. I'm an easy driver, no jack-rabbit take-offs and I don't stomp on it. 50/50 highway and city, it drops to about 26.5 MPG.

The selling point for me (other than I have been driving Saturns exclusively since '97) is the 2.2l engine. If anyone knows of a better value in a 4 cylinder engine, please tell me about it. Of course, the polymer panels are great too.

'05 VUE's rock!

LIFE is drawing without an eraser!

Semper Fi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bboyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bboyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:37 AM   #19
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05vueblue
I wish mine got as good as some of the others here, I just figured mine to be 19.2mpg, but I drive like my backside is on fire. I need to drive "nice" for a bit to see how mine actully is. I think with the addition of my cold air intake it dropped in miliage, people swear it is suposed to increase. Well I traded mpg for power, with the intake and the exhaust system it has wild migrange which I like. I just turned 14.5K so maybe as it get more miles on it like the 20k posting earlier mine willl get better---hopefully...

PS congrates on the VUE---They are fun....I probably have the most crap on mine in the DC area
The downside to adding go-fast parts is that your foot tends to be a little heavier because you just can't *not* floor it now that it sounds so cool. So if you continued driving the same way you had before, you'd have an increase, but because you're flooring it more now I'm sure, you're losing gas mileage.

I experience this phenomenon with my SC2 every time I add another mod.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote