SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
lone_wolf
lone_wolf is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Is this an option for the Ion?

My gf's dad recently bought an 05 Saturn Relay.. It has command start on the FOB! I'm like ahh, I sooo need this for my Ion! Is this an option that I can get on my car from the dealer? If not, will an aftermarket command start work on Ion's? Winter is fast approaching, and I hate leaving work late at night to get into a cold car!

Red 2005 Ion-3 coupe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lone_wolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lone_wolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
prosys001
prosys001 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Is this an option for the Ion?

Remote starter is only available for the Relay, it's still not offered for the Ion or the VUE. You will have to go aftermarket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prosys001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prosys001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prosys001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
lone_wolf

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Ahh that sucks.. Any idea how much aftermarket remote start is??

Red 2005 Ion-3 coupe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lone_wolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
vlipke
vlipke is on a distinguished road

it depends. Can you install one yourself.

If you can you will need the remote starter/alarm, wich will run you around $80 dollars for a long range good one.

Then you will need the bypass for the "coded ignition. Wich is about $30 dollars.

You will also need a couple of relays and diodes, and about 5 hours of free time.

If you want to have one installed figure about $300 dollars minimum. Atleast around here.

I dont have one in my ION yet, but my 2000 SC2 had one that I installed. It worked so well. I just opened the door to the rear of the plant that I work in, hit the button and it would start right up. Loved it. With the ION I am going to install a Audiovox alarm. They have an upgrade you can get that allows you to call an 800 number (free for life after the purchase) and start the car with a passcode.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vlipke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vlipke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vlipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

Try doing a search, this has been discussed many times. There are supposedly issues with adding a remote start, it might affect the electrical system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 AM   #6
lone_wolf

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Damn.. That's not what I wanted to hear..

Red 2005 Ion-3 coupe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2005, 08:05 AM   #7
vlipke
vlipke is on a distinguished road

I talked with the Saturn dealer about installing a remote start about a month ago. They have an ouside place that will do it for them. They told me it cost about $280 if I remember correctly. THey also said they had no problems with interfacing with the electrical system, and had never heard of such a problem. This was Saturn of South Holland IL. May want to check with your local dealer on that...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vlipke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vlipke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vlipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Make sure you're not trying to do this on a car w/ a Manual Transmission too. While it's possible you will most definitely have a hard time (if you're even able to) getting it installed professionally. Basically it's a safety risk.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #9
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

No

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

I would think that it could be possible on the next ION if they wanted to do so. The Chevy HHR shares the Delta architecture and also uses the 2.2L and 2.4L Ecotecs, which comes with a remote starter when ordered with the four-speed automatic.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #11
lone_wolf

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

My car is an automatic.. I'm going to the dealer and ask about it on the weekend, hopefully I'll get some good news.. They owe me 50$, since I convinced my gf's dad to buy the relay..

Red 2005 Ion-3 coupe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2005, 12:45 AM   #12
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
I would think that it could be possible on the next ION if they wanted to do so. The Chevy HHR shares the Delta architecture and also uses the 2.2L and 2.4L Ecotecs, which comes with a remote starter when ordered with the four-speed automatic.
Every one of the G6's around here has it (technically it's an option) and I think they're gaining popularity. I'm sure we'll see it more and more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:24 AM   #13
blasterguy128
blasterguy128 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 2.2L

I have a remote start viper car alarm installed on my 04 ION. Let me tell you it was no easy install. $400 and 2 days later the "professionals" got the job done. The installer said it was the hardest install he had ever done. He had multiple problems with the elctrical system and had to call saturn.

It was sooo worth it though. Make sure you go to a good/knowledgeable installer cause its a tough job. Also don't get a crappy car alarm, it will only lead to problems. The Viper car alarm has worked great for me so far, here's a link to the one I have.

http://www.directed.com/security/vip..._responder.asp

Good Luck!

Drive it like you stole it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blasterguy128's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blasterguy128 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blasterguy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:35 AM   #14
LIMEQuadC3
LIMEQuadC3 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Man, 400.00 installed is a killer deal!!! I went to a local installer here and asked an estimate on having that same model installed on my 04' and it was going to be 900.00 installed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LIMEQuadC3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LIMEQuadC3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LIMEQuadC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #15
Elsongs
Elsongs is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

My sister drives an '04 Chevy Malibu, that has remote start. Our key fobs look identical except she has the remote start button.
I guess it's a Chevy thing at the moment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elsongs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elsongs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #16
lone_wolf

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Well, I asked my dealer about it.. He said it's not an option, but they have a contract with the windshield place next door to have it done. It would have cost me 300$ Can. And it won't affect the warranty at all if I get it done there he said. I might get it done before winter.

Red 2005 Ion-3 coupe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #17
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs
My sister drives an '04 Chevy Malibu, that has remote start. Our key fobs look identical except she has the remote start button.
I guess it's a Chevy thing at the moment.
Nope, the Pontiac G6 has remote start, and the '07 Aura is expected to get the feature as well.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote