SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
Larry Horne
Larry Horne is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default 1996 SL@ Headliner w/sunroof

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=3&catalogid=2

I have a 1996, SL2, 4DR, w/sunroof. I am having the headliner redone and repairing the sunroof. I am looking at roof (interior) parts for the headliner. Saturnparts.net has a nice diagram showing a "trim ring" or lace around the sunroof opening.

Mine did not have this piece around the opening, rather the foam and material were pulled through the opening and tucked/glued.

Can anyone with a 1996 SL2 w/sunroof tell me if you have the trim ring or lace as its called on the parts lists?

If the link does not work you can go to saturnparts.net/collision catalog, roof, interior trim, lace and view the diagram.

Any help is apprecitated.

Lar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry Horne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry Horne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 1996 SL@ Headliner w/sunroof

Are you sure you have an OEM sunroof? It sound to me like you have an aftermarket one. Do you have map lights and sunroof controls just above the rear view mirror? Or one switch for the sunroof all by itself? On the roof, does the glass lay even with the roof or is there a plastic trim ring around it that sits about 1/8" higher than the surface of the roof?

From what you are describing, it sounds like the aftermarket ones I've had on two of my Saturn and will have on my current one. I just need to get a sheet metal nibbler so I can install it. Its been sitting under my bed for almost a year now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

If you have a 1996 - up Saturn SL2 with a sunroof you will have no moulding ring around the sunroof area on the headliner. My 1998 SL2 is exactly as you describe.

1991-1995 SL, SL1, and SL2 models with a sunroof had the headliner fabric "tucked in" as you describe.

This is true if you have a factory sunroof...like Low Saturn said, check to see if you have maplights and a switch that says "close" and "vent/open".

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clemsonsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Larry Horne
Larry Horne is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I'm very certain its an OEM sunroof. Its the crappy plastic frame and mechanism everyone on the board complains about. Headliner has light and switch console directly over the rear view mirror with vent/open and close. I've gotten the sunroof to function nicely but before I reinstalled the headliner I wanted to make certain the trim ring or lance as it's called on saturnparts.net had not been removed and not reinstalled when the headliner was recovered last time. It plainly shows it in the parts diagram for the 1996.

So by Clemsonsaturn, it does not belong there.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry Horne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry Horne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonsaturn
If you have a 1996 - up Saturn SL2 with a sunroof you will have no moulding ring around the sunroof area on the headliner.
This must not be true on the SC2. My '96 has a non-working sunroof and it has the moulding.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
This must not be true on the SC2. My '96 has a non-working sunroof and it has the moulding.
Right, that's why I mentioned only the SLx did not have them. The SC1 and SC2 kept this moulding until 1996, and ALL Saturn S's past 1996 had no moulding.

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clemsonsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote