SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Paulapoohcarr
Paulapoohcarr is on a distinguished road

Question Starts but won't stay running

I'm having major issues with this Saturn SL2. We have spent 800.00 on getting this car to stay running. The O2 sensor was replaced first. The car would run and able to drive for 4 days, then it would start and die out. We sprayed starter fluid in the throttle and it would start and stay running. We replaced the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pump was pressured at 40 so we changed it even though it was only a year old. The flex pipe was bad and muffler so that was replaced also. The s belt has been replaced. The throttle was cleaned out. The final part was the EGR valve. Please help me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Paulapoohcarr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Paulapoohcarr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Paulapoohcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Starts but won't stay running

What is the year/mileage of your SL2? Sounds like the fuel filter, maybe some more advanced members can give better advice. Side note: stay away from starter fluid.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by romzek
What is the year/mileage of your SL2? Sounds like the fuel filter, maybe some more advanced members can give better advice. Side note: stay away from starter fluid.
Not to hijack the thread, but what is so bad about starter fluid? I've never used it myself nor plan to, but curious as to its negative effects.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

ECTS maybe? SEARCH!

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
Paulapoohcarr

It is a 1991 it has 188,000 miles. The fuel filter was replaced last year when the fuel pump was replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Paulapoohcarr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I think to provide any better answers we need more info:

Is the SES light on? If so, what codes are being generated?

When the car dies, is it like you turned off the key or more like a sputtering death?

When it dies, does it die hot?

Can you restart it once it cools down?

When you get it started, does it smoke a lot?

Can you get a smell of gasoline when you're behind the car when it's running?

How's your mileage been lately?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
Paulapoohcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
I think to provide any better answers we need more info:

Is the SES light on? If so, what codes are being generated?

When the car dies, is it like you turned off the key or more like a sputtering death?

When it dies, does it die hot?

Can you restart it once it cools down?

When you get it started, does it smoke a lot?

Can you get a smell of gasoline when you're behind the car when it's running?

How's your mileage been lately?

No lights coming on or I should say staying on. It starts and runs for about 5 seconds and sputters out, sometimes backs fire from intake. The car will restart every time. It doesn't die hot it, it does it whenever you try to start it. No smoke, no smell of gasoline. The mileage has been pretty good. The codes I got was a 45, 22, and 32. The last time I was driving the car it died out after driving it for about 30 minutes. We haven't been able to get it to keep running since. The fuel filter and fuel pump was replaced last year. The fuel pump pressure is 40 psi, so the pump was just changed again and it still says 40 psi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
classic_racer
classic_racer is on a distinguished road

Okay, first off starter fluid id only bad in deisel motors because the glow plugs can egnite the fluid prematurely and because there is no air restriction on the motor so you can overrev very easily and blow something up, it is near impossible to do such with a gas motor, other than that it is very safe.

Onto diagnosis, you need to test your pressure again, but this time you need to test your VOLUME, it isn't a common test but you can have it done, your pressure can be good (40 is just right for your car I have the same motor and mine sits right at 40) and your flow can be bad. If your flow is bad, it is usually only one of three things, a pinched fuel line, a bad fuel pump, or a bad fuel filter, sorry to say it but you might have gotten a bad pump. I would check the lines first, then get a new filter and then see about maybe getting a new pump. Have a volume test done first though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you HANDY"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to classic_racer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help classic_racer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
classic_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #9
Paulapoohcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_racer
Okay, first off starter fluid id only bad in deisel motors because the glow plugs can egnite the fluid prematurely and because there is no air restriction on the motor so you can overrev very easily and blow something up, it is near impossible to do such with a gas motor, other than that it is very safe.

Onto diagnosis, you need to test your pressure again, but this time you need to test your VOLUME, it isn't a common test but you can have it done, your pressure can be good (40 is just right for your car I have the same motor and mine sits right at 40) and your flow can be bad. If your flow is bad, it is usually only one of three things, a pinched fuel line, a bad fuel pump, or a bad fuel filter, sorry to say it but you might have gotten a bad pump. I would check the lines first, then get a new filter and then see about maybe getting a new pump. Have a volume test done first though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you HANDY"

Thanks for the information, I hope this helps and gets my car running again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!