SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default ECTS and Temp Gauge Sensor Wiring

I am installing a 96 DOHC head into a 95 SL2. I do not want to tap a hole into the head for the temp gauge sensor. Has anyone ever spliced the single wire for the temp gauge sensor into the the non-ground wire that goes to the ECTS? Will doing this possibly mess with the PCM? My other possibility would be to tap a hole into the elbow water connection that goes to the intake manifold and install the temp gauge sensor there. If I mess this up it can easily be replaced, but not a head.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: ECTS and Temp Gauge Sensor Wiring

I've heard of at least one person putting a tee in a heater hose and putting one there. It was in a post a while back. Sounded like it would work.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
GRIFF
GRIFF is on a distinguished road

Romzek, This is a crude way to do it, But I just put it here, Screwed it a bit and put a bunch of high temp RTV around it,

I'm sure it's not as accurate as it should be, But it's worked for the last two years.
I didn't want to do the drill & tap method either

[IMG]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GRIFF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GRIFF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GRIFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

The gauge will change the impedance and mess with the computer if spliced into the CTS wiring.

Griff's idea has some merit though mechanics everywhere will assume the worst when they see it. The gauge only has to please you so if it's slightly off, so what? You even have the unique opportunity to get some more of these single-wire sensors epoxied to oil pans, transmission cooler lines, etc, and a rotating switch to flip between them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Great idea Griff. I'm going to try that. Looks like you used a brass sensor. I have a few left over ceramic ones that I am going to try it with. Dealer here charges $25 for the brass sensors so have to order them at Saturnparts.com/net.

And eljefino, good idea on multiple sensors. I may experiment with an oil temp sensor. Who cares what mechanics think, they are not touching my satties anyways.

95 SL2 MT 220K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
WingsOfSaturn

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Update on my temp gauge sensor issue. I went ahead and installed a sensor in the elbow that goes into the intake manifold. So far works great and seems to give accurate temp readings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp Gauge Sensor.jpg (31.6 KB, 135 views)

95 SL2 MT 220K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
GRIFF
GRIFF is on a distinguished road

Romzek,
Nice job on the sensor. I wouldn't have thought about doing that. How tough was it. What size tap did you use?

Again nice job

Greg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GRIFF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GRIFF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GRIFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
WingsOfSaturn

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

I do believe that it was a M10x1.0 tap. Was not too hard. I extended the wire with some solderless crip connectors and used some plumbers tape on the threads of the sensor. Feels a lot better knowing what the water temp is at.

95 SL2 MT 220K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!