SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn has lost their "Customer Service" magic, thanks GM!

Scenario:

'03 Ion, 42,300 miles, have an extended warranty from a non-Saturn company (72mos / 75K miles).

At 9700 miles, the rear window molding separated from the door frame. Fixed under warranty.

At 25K miles, rotors warped, dealer resurfaced rotors vs. replacing them. According to another Saturn dealer, they should have been replaced because Ion rotors are too thin to resurface.

Now the molding is shot again and separating, the rotors are warped again. Not to mention the “creak” in the front end (the bushings, etc. have been fixed five times already).

Saturn of Hartford is quoting me $315 to fix the defective molding stating my extended warranty does not cover molding. The brakes, over $900.

A few years ago, Saturn would have repaired these things without breaking a sweat because that was their "Customer Service" philosophy. I have a case with the 800 number, so I'll let you know of the outcome. I've had four Saturns (Ion 3, Ion 2, VUE and SL2) but sorry to say, once my Saturns are paid off, bye-bye Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
jericspencer
jericspencer is on a distinguished road

2005 ION Red Line
1997 SC1
Default Re: Saturn has lost their "Customer Service" magic, thanks GM!

I couldnt agree more, I have a case with the 800 number now too, I am up 4 levels of the ladder now all with insufficent results. i have yet to have a question answered, I keep getting pointed in directions that really have no basis on my problems. This is my 3rd saturn and will be the last. Its horrible how bad this company has turned around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jericspencer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jericspencer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jericspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

It's the people who make the 'experience,' and it takes only one negative to stand out.

I really think people need to go out there and buy whatever is best for their situation and see what happens. You could very well end up with another make/model and have an superior ownership experience.

Or...

You can end up looking back on all this and think, "I guess Saturn wasn't that bad."

Because both problems are documented problems and were not fixed right the first time I think you are right in demanding them be fixed, especially considering the extended warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

For $900, you could buy a big brake kit. Talk about robbery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

What the hell do they do to brakes that could rack up a $900 bill???

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
prosys001
prosys001 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

What are they smoking for quoting brakes at 900$ here at our dealership it's something like 500$ CAN (should be around 350$ US).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prosys001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prosys001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prosys001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:00 AM   #7
rdalton
rdalton is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

My dealer just quoted me $420 canadian installed before tax for front rotors and pads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rdalton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rdalton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:42 AM   #8
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

You should take your car to a private mechanic for the brake work. They'll do a better job and it will cost less. A good mechanic should also be able to solve the front end/bushing issue. Chances are that the rotors are warping because the wheel lug nuts were overtightened using an impact wrench.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #9
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalton
My dealer just quoted me $420 canadian installed before tax for front rotors and pads.
Well, when you're paying upwards of $100 per hour "shop charge" around here I can see why it's 500 bones out the door.

Why won't the aftermarket extended warranty cover rear door molding?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #10
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Many extended warrantees don't cover "cosmetic" issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #11
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL
Many extended warrantees don't cover "cosmetic" issues.
It's not cosmetic. It holds the rear window in the door frame, it's just not a simple rubber gasket. Most likely due to the way Saturn designs the door due to the polymer.

Brakes, the Dealer was quoting doing the rear too, well, adjusting and cleaning them.

I asked the 800 line to have a manager call me asap. This was as of 1PM yesterday. Still have not heard and I need to get the rental I am paying for back before 12PM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #12
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

If it's a non-Saturn warranty then why are you complaining to Saturn?

And I would be very suspect of the $900 brake job. To me it sounds like they are trying to "fix" things that aren't broken. All new pads, shoes, rotors, drums, and more can be done for way, waaaay less than that. The parts themselves are inexpensive.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
If it's a non-Saturn warranty then why are you complaining to Saturn?

And I would be very suspect of the $900 brake job. To me it sounds like they are trying to "fix" things that aren't broken. All new pads, shoes, rotors, drums, and more can be done for way, waaaay less than that. The parts themselves are inexpensive.
Because Saturn could simply cover it under the BTB warranty due to the fact it failed before and I am only out of warranty by my mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango
Because Saturn could simply cover it under the BTB warranty due to the fact it failed before and I am only out of warranty by my mileage.
Your BTB warranty would not cover it, but I believe all services are warrantied for one year, so you may fall into that.

I've never heard of that problem, so it seems odd that it has happened to you twice. Surely it won't happen a third time.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Your BTB warranty would not cover it, but I believe all services are warrantied for one year, so you may fall into that.

I've never heard of that problem, so it seems odd that it has happened to you twice. Surely it won't happen a third time.
Old thread regarding this...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #16
etbardensc2
etbardensc2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Brakes don't need adjusting unless you got into an accident. If you read your manual, it says that they adjust themselves. If you don't brake hard on occasion, you can make a safe hard (not screetching halt) stop to give it whatever adjusting it may need, otherwise they don't need adjusting. If your rotors are warping then someone isn't tourqing the wheel nuts accordingly.

As for the $900 brake job, you should know that a dealership is going to raise costs over little things.

"If it's a non-Saturn warranty then why are you complaining to Saturn? And I would be very suspect of the $900 brake job. To me it sounds like they are trying to "fix" things that aren't broken. All new pads, shoes, rotors, drums, and more can be done for way, waaaay less than that. The parts themselves are inexpensive."-- couldn't agree more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to etbardensc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help etbardensc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
etbardensc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #17
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbardensc2
If your rotors are warping then someone isn't tourqing the wheel nuts accordingly.
No accidents. The tech said I still have 50% of my pads left, so with 43K on the clock, it's not a matter of me abusing the brakes. It's very difficult to tell the dealer that it's there issue. The only ones taking my wheels on and off is the Dealer when I have rotations / balancing done, but try telling them that...

Still waiting to hear from Spring Hill, so I will let you know the outcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #18
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango
No accidents. The tech said I still have 50% of my pads left, so with 43K on the clock, it's not a matter of me abusing the brakes. It's very difficult to tell the dealer that it's there issue. The only ones taking my wheels on and off is the Dealer when I have rotations / balancing done, but try telling them that...

Still waiting to hear from Spring Hill, so I will let you know the outcome.
1. The brakes. Of course Saturn comes back with BS. The brakes, warping due to "rust". Yes, rust. This is what the service advisor advised Spring Hill. My car is garaged at home and work and we've had very little rain here in the NE. Go figure.

2. The molding. According to customer service, it's not an issue that Saturn is aware of, so no assistance can be provided; I have to pay $300 plus for a product designed by Playschool. Sayonara Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #19
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

does this seem like what you're getting with the door?
Quote:
Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: SATURN
Model: ION
Year: 2003
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Service Bulletin Number: 030864039
NHTSA Item Number: 10005287
Summary Description:
WATER ENTERS PASSENGER COMPARTMENT, CREAKING NOISE FROM DOOR WHILE DRIVING AND/OR REAR DOOR HEADER SEAL PULLS AWAY FROM DOOR. *PH
Point out the tsb to your service adviser.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #20
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwill
does this seem like what you're getting with the door?

Point out the tsb to your service adviser.
Thank you Bobwill, you are my savoir! Now only if Saturn had a TSB on crappy rotors!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!