SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 AM   #121
keithreed
keithreed is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

I son't know how to clean my EGR valve.. please help me thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keithreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keithreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keithreed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #122
Guys2nv
Guys2nv is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I love this forum, I signed up last year but I haven't had any problems with my 2000 sl1-until today when it started to sputter alil while driving between 2000-2500 rpms, Looks like I got some work ahead of me. I'll be doing a full tune up and replacing the coolant temp sensor and cleaning my egr.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Guys2nv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Guys2nv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Guys2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #123
narfoner
narfoner is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Thanks for the help! I combined cleaning my EGR with putting on a new valve cover and my engine runs a heck of a lot better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to narfoner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help narfoner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
narfoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #124
vincentj
vincentj is on a distinguished road

cleaned my egr, runs great, cute pictures btw. I suggest cleaning throttle body while you have your supplies out as well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vincentj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vincentj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vincentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #125
Moms Car
Moms Car is on a distinguished road

Ain't the internet great. Searched for "Trouble code P1404 1999 Saturn" and zoomed right into to this forum and thread.

The instructions at the top page worked perfectly. I just thought I'd add a few details relating to the 1999 model.

The bolts holding the EGR valve are still 10mm, but there's no bracket on top of the rear bolt on mine. You'll still leave a deep socket to get the back bolt out since the extension to hold down the missing bracket is still there.

Removal is simple. Pull off the hose between the valve cover & the plastic air inlet pipe. Use pliers or channel lock to squeeze the bands holding the inlet pipe onto the filter housing and the mass air sensor then pull it off. Remove the plug & wire on the top of the EGR valve, then take off the bolts.

Once off the underside has what looks like a torx head in a hole. That's the solenoid. It should move in and out freely. Mine was stuck shut with carbon. I used carburetor cleaner, but something more suited to carbon rather than hydrocarbon gunk might be better. Some curved & straight tools with careful scraping did the heaving lifting for me. The carb cleaner kind of washed the debris out.

Cleaning and reassembly done the engine went from barely choking around to smooth and powerful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moms Car's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moms Car reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moms Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #126
steveg4432
steveg4432 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

i have a 2000 sl1. the egr value is on the front left? is this correct?

thanks,
steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steveg4432's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steveg4432 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steveg4432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #127
JohnBo
JohnBo is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Got a P1404 trouble code on my 1997 SL2 so Google took me here. Just cleaned the EGR with ease yesterday, thanks to the 1st post in this thread - well, and I kept looking a bit more and also found the RichPin YouTube that made it sooo simple. Thanks!

Some time after getting off the freeway this morning the idle (5 speed manual trans) was crazy high, about 2K. Luckily I was almost to work so I just got in and parked ASAP. Just started it to find out, idle was much more sane, 800 rpm or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critik View Post
I just cleaned my throttle body and EGR valve today, as it was getting stuck open and throwing an SES light.

The pintle on mine became completely stuck the first time I depressed it, and spraying carb cleaner had no effect. I was horrified as I needed my car later that day for something. Finally I figured out that I could tap (hard but not too hard) the bottom of the valve (the one with the ports) with a screwdriver and it would pop back out again.

The engine idled real high and generally just acted funky after I did it (which may also be because of the throttle body being cleaned), but it eventually settled down after driving it some time. The SES light stayed on for awhile, but it eventually went off.

Very easy repair. Takes maybe 10 minutes if everything goes right. Thanks for the writeup!
So I guess this high idle is normal? I just read elsewhere that killing the engine and starting it back up should cure it, if not some other part is busted, so I'll check back later to say how this went.

Well, off to look for more info on cleaning up a SL2, throttle body sounds like a good idea. Plus I'll probably have to do more emissions improvements to get it to pass my next smog check... Then heater and AC are broken...

Anyway, just got here but looks like a great forum, thanks all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #128
JohnBo
JohnBo is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBo View Post
So I guess this high idle is normal? I just read elsewhere that killing the engine and starting it back up should cure it, if not some other part is busted, so I'll check back later to say how this went.

Well, off to look for more info on cleaning up a SL2, throttle body sounds like a good idea. Plus I'll probably have to do more emissions improvements to get it to pass my next smog check... Then heater and AC are broken...

Anyway, just got here but looks like a great forum, thanks all!
Idle hasn't gone that crazy high again, it still seems a little off now and then, but appears to be settling back down, so all is well there.

Also after posting that I clicked on the S series forum so saw that big thread on common maintenance and issues - it is giving me plenty more to look into.

Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #129
pooty
pooty is on a distinguished road

Sorry for posting on something so old, but thank you very much for this tutorial

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pooty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pooty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #130
silverblackjoe
silverblackjoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshn1972 View Post
1. Find the EGR valve. Since I had never heard of such a thing until about a month ago, this was an interesting task.
don't know if I'm responding in the right spot, but here goes.....just like to thank all associated with SaturnFans.com......just inherited a 1997 SW2 station wagon....ran like crap....... EGR Was virtually encrusted!!!!.....Removed at least an ounce of crud.......after affects were amazing.....other vehicle...F-350 4X4 Diesel.....500 + a month as daily driver....SW2 26 bucks to fill up....running like a champ at 312,000 miles....you guys are life savers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks a million...if I hit the lotto I'll remember all of you. LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblackjoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblackjoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverblackjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #131
Saver78
Saver78 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you want to list the name brands or what, but what Carb Cleaner would you guys recommend or did use for this job? May have to do this very soon and just want to make sure I get the right stuff...I have PB Blaster but not Carb Cleaner right now. Any help would be great. I too thank goodness for this forum and friends!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saver78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saver78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saver78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #132
saturnhusker
saturnhusker is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Car has 240k and ultragauge was showing pending code 0404 so I just cleaned my egr valve and pintle wast stuck closed. Now it moves freely I am excited to see what my mpg will be, it's all ready @ 45 mpg hwy going up would be priceless. I did notice that there was oil on the exaust side where the pintle sits over. Is that normal or cause for alarm?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhusker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhusker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #133
randyblough
randyblough is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

thanks. i was quoted $302 for EGR replacement to clear the Check engine code, but, thanks to this forum, fixed it for ZERO Dollars!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to randyblough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help randyblough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
randyblough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #134
m4gician
m4gician has a spectacular aura aboutm4gician has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2000 SL1

Bumping this. Wondering if I can only get the gasket at the dealer or does the auto parts store have one?

2005 Black Saturn Vue AWD V6
Aftermarket additions:
- Webasto Panorama Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m4gician's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m4gician reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m4gician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #135
mattfluck
mattfluck has a spectacular aura aboutmattfluck has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
Bumping this. Wondering if I can only get the gasket at the dealer or does the auto parts store have one?
I just one at autozone for 1.69, saw on a few posts people were saying that the autozone felpro gasket was fine. Compared with a 10$ ac delco. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattfluck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattfluck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattfluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #136
analogthought
analogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the rough

1995 SW2

Thanks a ton for this thread! I took my car in for a 65 point inspection and was told the egr valve was throwing codes and was the worst of issues showing up. I was told by the mechanic I'd need to have it replaced... After doing some research I found that most mechanics will suggest this rather than taking time to see if being in need of a good cleaning is the culprit. After calling around and getting quoted almost $300 for a full on replacement ("electric ones are more costly" was the explanation) - I went to autozone and got quoted $79 for a new egr valve, or $1.99 for a new gasket if i was going to attempt cleaning it myself and replacing the gasket. After taking it apart to clean it the part of the pinktle with the indention in the center was coated in so much carbon that it had formed a mound of build up. I put it all back together with the new gasket in place and a cleaned egr and now the car (for the first time since I've owned it) runs insanely better. Pickup is twice what it was. The only question I have now is that while at autozone they showed two gaskets for my year/make/model, one with a screen for $29 and the one I bought without a screen for $1.99. The one I replaced had no screen. Is there any benefit to having a gasket with a screen other than the obvious longevity and filtration? Is this something recommended over not having one? Is it worth it to take it apart and buy the one with the screen? My thinking was to clean the screen that was in the old one and pair it with the new gasket, assuming you could do that. I'm a total noob with this stuff. You guys are awesome, and yet again this site has saved me tons of money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to analogthought's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help analogthought reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
analogthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #137
Troubleman313
Troubleman313 is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

2005 Vue 5 speed 2.2, cant locate EGR. Anyone have a picture of the Location of this thing. it would be most helpfull.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Troubleman313's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Troubleman313 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Troubleman313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #138
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You won't find an egr valve on your engine because it doesn't need one. From the service manual; The intake manifold incorporates a distribution and control system for PCV gases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote