SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #81
97SC2-5SPEED
97SC2-5SPEED is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

I just did this to my 97 SC2. I took off the valve and sprayed a good amount of carb cleaner in the ports and replaced the EGR valve. But when I started it up it idled at around 2500 rpm and when i drove it for about 20 minutes the idle speed finally went down to its normal rpm around 800-900 but it idled very rough. I didn't replace the gasket, could this be my problem?

Thanks in advance for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97SC2-5SPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97SC2-5SPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97SC2-5SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #82
envoid
envoid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

Thanks for the writeup sunshn1972!

Had thought about cleaning it on my wife's SC1 but after your posts showing where it was i spent only about an hour taking it out, cleaning it, and putting it back in. At first I did notice the torx head was sticking in the breather hole a bit, but after some scraping of the encrusted stuff it no longer sticks. It wasn't too dirty overall but seems to have made the idle a little smoother than before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to envoid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help envoid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
envoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #83
Labradoofis
Labradoofis is on a distinguished road

Ok today was good.

Did a "full tuneup" Had my brother in Chicago get a tb gasket.
I replaced the following:
pcv valve
plugs
wires
fuel filter<--------that was fun
egr gasket
TB gasket
ECTS<-------It was brass already but still changed it.
Air Filter
Oil Change
I cleaned the egr valve, iac, and cleaned the throttle body. The throttle body was completely gunked up.
So all in all it was good. She idles smoothly, no more hesitating at stop lights or stop signs. The only problem I have now it make a noise when you put in reverse or drive so I kinda thinking it might be the idler pulley making noise. I know it needs some motor mounts though. That will be next. Just wanted to say thanks to this forum.
Thanks all.
Brian
1997 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Labradoofis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Labradoofis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Labradoofis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #84
jimpennjr
jimpennjr will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L

Just cleaned mine. It sure was carboned up. The gasket was still good, so I reused it. It took about 10 minutes. Hopefully it will clear my code P1406. Will respond if does or doesn't. Thanks to the OP for posting.

jimpennjr
'96 SL1 5-speed--Traded in for an '09 HHR
2008 Vue XR V6 Trade in the '04 Vue for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimpennjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimpennjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimpennjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #85
jackbenimble
jackbenimble is on a distinguished road

Dear God, I thought my car was a goner the way it was acting. Thanks so much for this post!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jackbenimble's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jackbenimble reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jackbenimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #86
mostlyvw
mostlyvw is on a distinguished road

Very helpful. Had mine out in about 5 minutes, spent about 20 cleaning off an ungodly amount of carbon, and scraping off the disintegrated gasket. For those with excessive buildup like mine had, pressing the valve down while using a small screwdriver to scrape the edges of the hole will allow the valve to seat fully again and move freely- mine was stuck in place when I started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mostlyvw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mostlyvw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mostlyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #87
lveliz
lveliz is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

Hey fellow saturn owners!! Thanks so much for the advise! I drive a 1997 Saturn SL1 with 138,000 miles, and just last week I got the "check engine soon" light (P1404).. turned out to be an EGR valve problem. The local Autozone sells this valve for 89.00 bucks....had I not read this forum I would've bought the part and spent more! It all took me little more than an hour and my satty runs like new!!! Total spent: $10 bucks, new gasket included.. what a deal!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lveliz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lveliz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #88
megsaturn
megsaturn is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

My gearhead friend just told me that if I cleaned, not replaced, the egr that I was an idiot and my car was going to die. Why did he say this???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to megsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help megsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
megsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #89
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsaturn View Post
My gearhead friend just told me that if I cleaned, not replaced, the egr that I was an idiot and my car was going to die. Why did he say this???
I'd guess your gearhead friend inferred that you'd be cleaning the dirt from outer shell of the EGR valve, rather than cleaning off the carbon build-up from the holes on the underside as well as around the area where the movable thing ("pintle?") is located.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #90
Cyprus
Cyprus is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Saturnfans.com to the rescue once again!

After a sudden bout of crappy gas mileage my SES came on last week. Autozone told me I needed to replace my EGR valve (about $90) after receiving a P0404 code. Found this forum, followed the directions, and solved the problem.

This was the first time I'd ever had a problem with the EGR valve, which is the original at 204,000 miles (never cleaned) on my 96 SW1! It was massively dirty though. The pintle was stuck shut as well. The SES light remained on after a few starts and a little driving, but went out later in the day. Replaced the plugs, wires, and PCV valve as all needed replacing. Runs great!

Will be interesting to see if my mileage goes back up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cyprus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cyprus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cyprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #91
sk8ter161
sk8ter161 is on a distinguished road

My EGR was badly carboned and the pintle was stuck--I cleaned it and it works better but still seems to stick--idle is high,then settles @800rpm's,but,at stops the idle slowly drops to 800,and sometimes almost stalls.The pintle takes some force to depress and returns slowly--could this be holding my idle high? When I depress the pintle and block the intake it holds vacuum so i assume that the diaphram is intact.I don't have electical tools to test the EGR solenoid--could this be faulty,or should I try cleaning the valve better/replace it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sk8ter161's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sk8ter161 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sk8ter161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #92
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Hey, I was getting some stumbling/sputtering from 2500-3000 rpms and someone suggested I clean my EGR. Well, I did today. Reused the old gasket (so I wasted $1.69 oh well). It looked okay and didn't come off easily when I barely pulled on it and didn't want to spend the day scraping it off. Anyway, I started it while apart for 2-3 seconds and let it hit the rev limiter a few times (after taking it for a 10 minute drive to warm up).

I did not spray any in the two holes, only on the torx screw pintle and the other hole and made sure to let it all drain out afterwards. I got the toothbrush out and cleaned the torx head, then depressed it with a torx screwdriver and turned it while spraying and it turned and depressed more easily than expected. No hard carbon to be found, no scraping required but I was ready with a dental pick and even tried it but didn't get anything with it since the build-up was so minor. Pulled the ECM B fuse then put everything back together.

Took it on a 20 minute cruise and tried to duplicate the stumbling and it didn't happen, but the true test will be tomorrow when I go on a long ride with hills that I take while in the 2.5-3k range. The problem never happened while cold, so tomorrow I'll see and if I still get problems I'll edit this to let ya'll know and I'll continue hunting down the problem.

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #93
JOE PA
JOE PA is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

I did the cleaning with my car-nut 15 yr. old "helping" so he can see what to do in the future. I did the torx procedure that d_rock suggested on page 4. It was a good thing I did. I don't think I could have accomplished all that much without doing that step. When I did push the pintle down cautiously, it did stick for a few seconds, then popped up. I pushed it down harder the second time, and it stuck down until I could completely clean the hole where it is supposed to seat when closed. When I twisted it to pop it back up, I had some carb cleaner in the valve, and it freed up the pintle, as I was able to push it down several times and it would no longer stick. The whole thing took less than 20 min. and I was very careful with the process. To those who are going to do this, I would strongly suggest using the torx head screwdriver to help completely clean the valve and pintle. Good luck, and thanks to all who posted this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JOE PA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JOE PA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JOE PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #94
mjoekingz28

1998 SC2

Another word of caution. Mine moves freely but I was going to clean around the pintle so there would be no problems. Well, my toothbrush lost a few bristles cleaning the rim of the pintle hole. I had to open the pintle and pull em out with needle-nose pliers.

The hesitation is gone for the most part, but I decided to try it again and am getting an engine light now, since I ran it for a few seconds w/o the valve installed.

btw, 2-3 seconds w/o the valve didn't cause an engine light, but 5-10 did. fyi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 AM   #95
JOE PA
JOE PA is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

Just reporting in on my results. Did the cleaning yesterday. This car will be going to one of my 19 yr. old twins (both will have a '97 Saturn now) and we were all over looking for a car for us to replace it. The '97 ran flawlessly today and the car we found to replace it was a 2003 Ion. Really liked the way it drove.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JOE PA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JOE PA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JOE PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #96
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Cool Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

I think it is great that so many people with Saturn S-Series are able to follow this procedure and get a good outcome with just a little time and not much money.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #97
mjoekingz28

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoekingz28 View Post
Hey, I was getting some stumbling/sputtering from 2500-3000 rpms and someone suggested I clean my EGR. Well, I did today. Reused the old gasket (so I wasted $1.69 oh well). It looked okay and didn't come off easily when I barely pulled on it and didn't want to spend the day scraping it off. Anyway, I started it while apart for 2-3 seconds and let it hit the rev limiter a few times (after taking it for a 10 minute drive to warm up).

I did not spray any in the two holes, only on the torx screw pintle and the other hole and made sure to let it all drain out afterwards. I got the toothbrush out and cleaned the torx head, then depressed it with a torx screwdriver and turned it while spraying and it turned and depressed more easily than expected. No hard carbon to be found, no scraping required but I was ready with a dental pick and even tried it but didn't get anything with it since the build-up was so minor. Pulled the ECM B fuse then put everything back together.

Took it on a 20 minute cruise and tried to duplicate the stumbling and it didn't happen, but the true test will be tomorrow when I go on a long ride with hills that I take while in the 2.5-3k range. The problem never happened while cold, so tomorrow I'll see and if I still get problems I'll edit this to let ya'll know and I'll continue hunting down the problem.

thanks

WELL, the stumbling and hesitation came back after I got the car good and hot. It feels like the car just can't accelerate in teh 2.5-3k range. I just put in a purolator pcv valve and the problem went away, although I haven't got it good and warm yet, I put the old one back in and got a sloppy pull from 2-3k going down the street in 2nd or 3rd gear....put the new Purolator unit and tried a duplicate pull and it pulls so cleanly and strong now.

Worth a try at under $2, but the rpms will take longer to drop when coming to a stop. Worth it to me anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #98
bytehd
bytehd is on a distinguished road

I am confused about a few things before I do this:

1) Using Carb Cleaner or Throttle Body Cleaner on the EGR.

2) Starting the engine the first time with the EGR valve off or not.

3) Does the code reset itself after a while or manually with the ECM B fuse?

4) If I do this, im going to post better pictures.

thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bytehd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bytehd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bytehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #99
bytehd

2001 SL2 DOHC.

I Found a can of Carb/TB cleaner...in the same can.
Had to clean it twice.
Code came back after first day driving around.
Code went away after second cleaning, used toothbrushes.
Worked fine.
10mm Kobalt socket with extention from Lowes.
Bracket did NOT need to be moved, nor the battery.
Saved $75 diagnostic fee and other non-needed parts from
local wrench (Firestone Dealer).
Thanks Saturnfans!

Now next problem, why cant the car rev past 4k at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bytehd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #100
bytehd

Code came back plus 341 camshaft sensor
oh joy

ive cleaned this thing 5 times.

time for a new part?

advance and zone dont carry it anymore per local dealers
pep boys and napa have it for $158

should I spring for it?

mileage is down to 25 from 32

REWARD EXCELLENCE!