SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #61
annedeslongcham
annedeslongcham is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
2001 SL2
Default Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

Yes I am getting a egr code. I brang it to the shop for the engine light being on and it can back that it is the egr valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to annedeslongcham's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help annedeslongcham reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
annedeslongcham is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #62
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by annedeslongcham View Post
Yes I am getting a egr code. I brang it to the shop for the engine light being on and it can back that it is the egr valve.
What is the code? P???? (Description)

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #63
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Attention Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

How-To Questions and Forum Issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Attention: If you have questions about "how-to" do something that's not already explained this forum, please post your question in your car's respective forum:
Answers to your how-to type questions will be moved into this forum if appropriate.

Update: The on-going "new thread" issues in the "How-To" forum for the past few months have been resolved. All new threads that are created will now be placed in an administrator queue awaiting for posting approval. I will be notified anytime a new thread is posted, and will be receive an email from the system alerting me of new posts. I will approve posts generally within 24 hours.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for your cooperation!
Charlie

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #64
d_rock
d_rock is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Just want to add something about cleaning the pintle.

I've cleaned the EGV valve many times on my SL2 and SW2, I do it as a routine maintenance a few times a year, actually.

What I do is:

First spray the inside with carb cleaner, and use a wire brush to scrape the deposits off the tip of the pintle.

Then, I use the corresponding sized torx bit to turn the pintle counter-clockwise and clockwise...at the same time, I am pushing it in to its recess. At first it will keep getting stuck when you push it in, so I gently tap the valve until the pintle pops back up.

I will keep doing this process of turning the pintle and pushing it in until it cleanly pops back out on its own and doesn't get stuck.

I have done this many times and have never had an EGR-related trouble code.

"Pessimists see the glass as half empty, optimists see the glass as half full. Engineers see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

2005 Saturn Ion-3 Quad Coupe, Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d_rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d_rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #65
Jimbo Dude
Jimbo Dude is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Thank you everyone! 1st time visiting the site and hit a home run. Daughters96 SL1- little money - intermittent SES - free code read - EGR fault - I never heard of the thing before so obviously never touched it - phone call with Dad Help! $300 estimates from four places to R&R. i bought one at the Zone for $98 plus $1.26 gasket. Cleaned the old one as several from this forum suggested, spent 20 mins total job, final cost $1.26. Now that's what I'm talking about!! A big $300 thank you to all...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jimbo Dude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jimbo Dude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jimbo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #66
KSabo
KSabo is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Just wanted to thank everyone here for giving me my SC2 back. My poor SC2 was hurting -- poor power and acceleration, and the gas mileage had dropped off from 30mpg to 22mpg in a matter of months.

Cleaning the EGR valve gave me my car back! THANK YOU!

Now if I can just get up the guts to try what d_rock suggests....

-Kristin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KSabo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KSabo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KSabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #67
Vision
Vision is on a distinguished road

2001 SL

Another thank you post. You saved me hundreds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vision's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vision reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #68
Lenny_ViDiViCi
Lenny_ViDiViCi is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Decided to do this today and it almost turned into a disaster. On my 93 SC2 The nuts were 13mm. What went awry was the vacuum tube from the t/b breaking. It was still long enough to reconnect after I was done though. Off to the smog test

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lenny_ViDiViCi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lenny_ViDiViCi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lenny_ViDiViCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #69
saturno1999
saturno1999 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

Thanks a lot, I cleaned mine and it was dirty enough!
I used a deep well 10mm socket and an extension so it was pretty easy to get the nuts out and assemble it all back.

My saturn always had oil burning/lots of smoke emissions, i never really cared, but yesterday it started to have serious troubles, the engine was quitting on idle or low rpms, needed to drive with both feet to keep rpm high while stopping at a traffic light! I took it to the auto zone and the diagnosys was faulty egr valve and also something about air pump, so i decided to clean the EGR like you explained and it works way better now. Great pictures and step-by-step, Thanks a lot!!

My saturn also burns a lot of oil so i bought an oil additive that apparently "seals the gaps and reduce oil burn and smoke".
For now, its doing the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshn1972 View Post
6. Put it all back together inteh reverse order.

It was easier that I expected. Except for dropping the 10mm socket under the air filter and taking it off to get the socket back. Also, it would have been nice to have a deep well 10mm socket to get the bolt off that was under the bracket. I was able to do it with a standard socket, but not easily.

Let me know if I missed anything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturno1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturno1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturno1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #70
bdobraj
Advanced Member
bdobraj is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

how long can/should i leave the car running with the EGR valve off? should i leave it off and let it run for a while after i spray carb cleaner in it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdobraj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdobraj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdobraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #71
dmrispoli
dmrispoli is on a distinguished road

Good info in the post, thanks. Can it really be two years since anyone got enough out of this thread to post???

And a question - I bought the gasket at Napa and while talking to the guy he said carb cleaner could be harmful to some of the parts so I should use throttle body cleaner. Anyone know if/why he is right/wrong? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmrispoli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmrispoli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmrispoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #72
dmrispoli
dmrispoli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno1999 View Post
My saturn also burns a lot of oil so i bought an oil additive that apparently "seals the gaps and reduce oil burn and smoke".
For now, its doing the job.

See the how-to thread for the mmo treatment....... I had better results the 2nd time I did it - I got my '99 SL2 on the cheap b/c it was burning 1 qt/300 miles. First mmo cut that to 500 miles, 2nd mmo to 1 qt every thousand.

And I answered my own question....... 4 pages of threads! Never drive drunk and never post tired.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmrispoli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmrispoli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmrispoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #73
Seņor Ramos
Seņor Ramos is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

So I cleaned out my throttle body and EGR valve today. Well, I wanted to clean the EGR valve, but it didn't have much buildup on it, and it moved extremely easily. Hardly any pressure needed to move it with my pinkie. After reinstalling everything, I turned the car on. It hung at 2k RPM for a few seconds then leveled out. The idle was very very smooth, and it picked up quite a bit quickly. I felt a tiny bit of Gs lol. I love this forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seņor Ramos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seņor Ramos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seņor Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #74
TeacherHolly
TeacherHolly is on a distinguished road

So any thoughts on an inexperienced female taking on this job? I'm a relatively handy person around the house and friends call me macguyver but I have never tried my hand at auto mechanics. My check engine light came on and I took it to the auto parts store to have it tested. The code was for a closed egr valve. I suspected itwas the egr valve before I took it in as I had experienced this my previous '94 Saturn. I was dating a mechanic at the time so he did the removal and cleaning for me. I'm currently on my own and am thinking about tackling this job myself on my '99 Saturn sl2 manual dohc as it is seriously hurting my gas milage. Any thoughts?! Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TeacherHolly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TeacherHolly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TeacherHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:42 AM   #75
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

I recommend that you remove the battery to gain easy access to the EGR valve, as Richpin shows in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MUUY2EE38c

You need a 10mm wrench. You need an 8mm wrench to remove the battery terminals. You need the 10mm wrench again to remove the EGR valve bolts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRq2Xl58Oo

You don't need to use the soda can that Richpin shows in his video if you just want to clean the EGR valve. Another person has reported a structural failure of the soda can gasket, so he has pieces of shredded aluminum in his engine now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:46 AM   #76
tenn734
tenn734 is on a distinguished road

edit: oops i see someone beat me to the punch with richpin's video links. ha!

i'll just add that i didnt need to take the battery out when i did my 99 sl2 and
a torque wrench for tightening the bolts is advisable. torque spec for the egr bolts is 19 ft-lbs.

needle style torque wrenches can be had for about $10 and ensure you tighten the bolts down enough without breaking anything. good luck and the key is preparation.

oh and a socket extension may make it easier to access the bolts, and don't do it on a hot engine for safety sake.

Last edited by tenn734; 05-25-2009 at 02:59 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tenn734's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tenn734 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tenn734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #77
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

Removing the battery makes it easier to access the EGR valve. I find it easier to remove the battery than to remove the air intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #78
bryme
bryme is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Happy Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

My 98 SL2 was bucking and sputtering when I would accelerate with low RPM's. After doing common tune up's (fuel injectors, spark plugs, etc.) I looked into this site.
I found out about the ECTS. I changed it, but problem persisted.
I found out about this thing called an EGR. I fixed that too, which fixed the problem.

Taking the EGR off is very simple. I had so much built up carbon that it is no wonder it wasn't working. The pilet was barely moving and getting stuck when it did. I scraped all the carbon out of the EGR and the holes. Sprayed carb cleaner and PB blaster and cleaned some more. Putting it back together was just as easy. Car works great now.

Job took a total of 30 minutes, tops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #79
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

i restored my bad EGR valve with sticking valve etc...
I had used solvents but problem would keep coming back in a month.
finally, I thought maybe the shaft clearance was too tight causing a bind on the smallest amount of dirt. SO, i made a slurry of equate toothpaste, (use toothpaste with grit not gel), filled up the cavity, took a power drill and torx bit and spun that valve around till it was good and free. I have not had to do anything to it for about a year now.

My gasket eventually wore out so I just used some silicone gasket maker for the gasket. I whacked out all the slippery soft graphitic stuff out of the metal gasket and smeared some silcone into it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #80
DrGonzo
DrGonzo is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I just did this on my 00 SL1 with 135k miles and man oh man was that thing full of gunk and carbon! I used a toothbrush, half a can of carb cleaner, and several little trays of lacquer thinner and it was still dirty, but WAY better than before. the valve itself would hardly budge before, but now moves quite easily. I also used a torx bit to move it around (by hand) and everything seems to running smoothly. Thanks for the great how-to!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrGonzo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrGonzo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote