SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #41
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl26 View Post
I just cleaned my EGR valve and throttle body today with carb cleaner. My SC2 has 105k on it and I'm not sure if it was ever done before since I just bought it. There wasn't too much build-up in the ports. Everything went smoothly except that the Napa gasket was made wrong. The big hole and small hole were reversed. If I flipped it over then the bolt holes wouldn't line up. So I ended up reusing the original gasket..
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you got the mounting surface and valve surface nice and clean...and the original gasket was in good shape.
Quote:
Also I forgot to re-attach the electrical connector to the valve before I started the engine and it had a hard time starting. The Service Engine Soon light came on. I stopped the engine, re-attached the wiring and the engine fired right up the next time I tried to start it. I drove the car around for about 10 minutes and the SES light is still on. The car doesn't drive any differently - better or worse - than it did before I cleaned the valve and throttle body.

I'm going to read and clear the code tomorrow. I'm not sure what caused the SES light to come on. I read in the Haynes manual that the EGR valve should not be cleaned with solvents or degreaser because "both agents will permanently damage the diaphragm." I hope this is not the case with mine.
The SES light came on because you started the car with the EGR valve Unplugged....I've had this happen to me and the SES light went away the next day....but it can't hurt to read the code anyway in case there is more than one....

I've used Carb cleaner before with no ill effects......unless you soaked it in it I'm betting your SES light is because of starting the vehicle with the valve unplugged.....

Just a question here....but did you read the manual about not using solvents like Carb Cleaner before or after you did the cleaning?

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #42
Carl26
Carl26 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredawgy View Post
Just a question here....but did you read the manual about not using solvents like Carb Cleaner before or after you did the cleaning?
Ha ha! You're good. I read it after I did the cleaning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carl26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carl26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #43
Carl26
Carl26 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2

Well I started the car this morning and the SES light went off. It ran fine on the way to work this morning. So no problems for the time being.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carl26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carl26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #44
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Well I started the car this morning and the SES light went off. It ran fine on the way to work this morning. So no problems for the time being.
This is one of the few times where saying "I told you so" isn't a bad thing to anyone......

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #45
JFoy
JFoy is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

2002 SC2, steps the same except you do not need to remove the bracket before taking off the EGR valve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #46
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFoy View Post
2002 SC2, steps the same except you do not need to remove the bracket before taking off the EGR valve
I never take the bracket on my 96 off either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #47
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshn1972 View Post
6. Put it all back together inteh reverse order.

It was easier that I expected. Except for dropping the 10mm socket under the air filter and taking it off to get the socket back. Also, it would have been nice to have a deep well 10mm socket to get the bolt off that was under the bracket. I was able to do it with a standard socket, but not easily.

Let me know if I missed anything!
I couldnt get it off, gonna have to get a deep well socket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:45 AM   #48
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
I couldnt get it off, gonna have to get a deep well socket.
I wouldn't even try removing my valve without a deep well socket.....but like I said I don't have to get my bracket off to remove the valve...so I guess I am lucky

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #49
HaroldJohnson
HaroldJohnson is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
I wouldn't even try removing my valve without a deep well socket.....but like I said I don't have to get my bracket off to remove the valve...so I guess I am lucky

I soaked mine in Sea Foam today. Not "soaked" as in "placed it in a bowl full sea foam", but pretty much used half a can of sea foam trying to get my EGR clean. The other half I put into my gas tank.

That EGR was filthy. Black, full of carbon. Looked sticky.

I started up the car with the EGR off after pouring some Sea Foam in those holes (where the bolts go) and cleaning as much as I could with the toothbrushes (yes, toothbrushes -- it took two, and I still don't know if it's truly clean), then I turned the ignition key...whoa, there was alot of smoke! Is that from the Sea Foam or does it always blow alot of smoke? (If you think it's the Sea Foam, is that a good thing or a bad thing, or somewhere in between?) I only ran it for a short period of time; should I run it longer, to see if the smoke will burn off?

I'm going to let it fully dry overnight and then tomorrow I'll attack it some more with a fresh toothbrush (and probably no more Sea Foam) and then put a new gasket on and tighten the EGR down. Sound good?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HaroldJohnson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HaroldJohnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HaroldJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #50
JOBO
JOBO is on a distinguished road

Wow I'm so glad I found this website! I have a 1997 SL w/ 155,000 mi. I too got a P0404 reading today at Checker and I have to have my car emission tested this month so I panicked. Tonight I took the valve off easy enough - but my question is do I actually put the carb cleaner into the two holes at the base? Then do I scrub out the carbon?
Also - how do I get the gasket off?
Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JOBO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JOBO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #51
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

I'm looking to clean the EGR on my 93 SL2...

The EGR in my car is different from the ones in the pictures, however, I presume that the procedure is largely the same.

I was going to use carb cleaner for the cleaning - anyone have any bad effects from this? If so, any recommendations on what I should use instead?

I'm guessing that my EGR has never been touched, as the bolts are rusty, so I'm sure they're going to be a lot of fun to try to loosen. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #52
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldJohnson View Post

I soaked mine in Sea Foam today. Not "soaked" as in "placed it in a bowl full sea foam", but pretty much used half a can of sea foam trying to get my EGR clean. The other half I put into my gas tank.

That EGR was filthy. Black, full of carbon. Looked sticky.

I started up the car with the EGR off after pouring some Sea Foam in those holes (where the bolts go) and cleaning as much as I could with the toothbrushes (yes, toothbrushes -- it took two, and I still don't know if it's truly clean), then I turned the ignition key...whoa, there was alot of smoke! Is that from the Sea Foam or does it always blow alot of smoke? (If you think it's the Sea Foam, is that a good thing or a bad thing, or somewhere in between?) I only ran it for a short period of time; should I run it longer, to see if the smoke will burn off?

I'm going to let it fully dry overnight and then tomorrow I'll attack it some more with a fresh toothbrush (and probably no more Sea Foam) and then put a new gasket on and tighten the EGR down. Sound good?
Sounds good, If you started the car without the EGR and saw alot of smoke,crud getting blown out that's fairly normal....if there's seafoam still in the ports that'll do it too....sounds good so far...you should be ok....

You should see the amount of smoke when you introduce seafoam through the pcv hose while the engine is running!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #53
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kknobl View Post
I'm looking to clean the EGR on my 93 SL2...

The EGR in my car is different from the ones in the pictures, however, I presume that the procedure is largely the same.

I was going to use carb cleaner for the cleaning - anyone have any bad effects from this? If so, any recommendations on what I should use instead?

I'm guessing that my EGR has never been touched, as the bolts are rusty, so I'm sure they're going to be a lot of fun to try to loosen. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Yours looks different because it's probably the vacuum operated one. Use PB Blaster for the bolts...or SeaFoam deep creep ....

If you use the sea foam deep creep you can use that to clean the EGR....or regular sea foam....some have used carb cleaner and not suffered

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #54
JOBO
JOBO is on a distinguished road

DONE!! You guys turned a $200 + job into a $5.00 job! I'm taking it to get emission tested today so I hope there are no other issues.
All the best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JOBO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JOBO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #55
HaroldJohnson

1993 SL2

Quote:
Yours looks different because it's probably the vacuum operated one. Use PB Blaster for the bolts...or SeaFoam deep creep ....
WD-40 may also work for that. I think you just spray or pour some on, let it settle in a few minutes, and then try your ratchet or wrench on it. (That's the way to do it, right?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HaroldJohnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #56
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
WD-40 may also work for that. I think you just spray or pour some on, let it settle in a few minutes, and then try your ratchet or wrench on it. (That's the way to do it, right?)
I like to wipe the crud off then try with the tool but yeah that's pretty much it...if it doesn't work try it again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #57
annedeslongcham
annedeslongcham is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
2001 SL2

thanks any way but it didn't work on my egr valve. engine light came right back on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to annedeslongcham's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help annedeslongcham reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
annedeslongcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #58
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
I have some penetrating oil - would that work on the rusted bolts as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #59
HaroldJohnson

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kknobl View Post
I have some penetrating oil - would that work on the rusted bolts as well?
Yes, that should work. I just ran a quick search and it appears that WD-40 is, in fact, a penetrating oil -- and that penetrating oils are commonly used to loosen rusty bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #60
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by annedeslongcham View Post
thanks any way but it didn't work on my egr valve. engine light came right back on
your getting an egr code?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!