SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #21
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnchap View Post
I guess mine is due!I've had it 5 years and never cleaned it.I guess that's why she's getting lazy in hills.
yeah a good cleaning of the throttlebody won't hurt either

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #22
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Anyone clean the throttle body and take pictures so I can see how to do it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #23
_alez_
_alez_ is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1

Thanks for the instructions, they made it very easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to _alez_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help _alez_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
_alez_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #24
TW1
TW1 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

This is great news I recently failed emissions and the guy said I needed a new EGR valve so now I know what must be done ,however i recently did a head job and now I have to put a quart of oil every week ,can anyone help or do I just change the motor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #25
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile View Post
Thanks! My 1992 SL2 was running like goat manure. I took the EGR valve off and cleaned it. Runs perfect!

Q: How, exactly, does goat manure run?

A: Poopy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #26
DrPimper
DrPimper is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2009 Outlook XR

oh man thanks allot for posting on this subject. I was watching my favorite TV show since 1984, MOTORWEEK and they were suggesting to clean the EGR on older cars to keep on top of fuel economey. They were generalizing all cars, but said that most cars and kinda complex and they should be cleaned professionaly, screw that, I have less of a chance of screwing this up than some punk kid paid to wrench on cars.

Thanks again
Erik
drerikpimper@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/drpimper

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrPimper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrPimper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrPimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #27
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Cleaning EGR Valve (with Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPimper View Post
oh man thanks allot for posting on this subject. I was watching my favorite TV show since 1984, MOTORWEEK and they were suggesting to clean the EGR on older cars to keep on top of fuel economey. They were generalizing all cars, but said that most cars and kinda complex and they should be cleaned professionaly, screw that, I have less of a chance of screwing this up than some punk kid paid to wrench on cars.
Here is the transcript:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2633.shtml
Quote:
Hot Flush
Pat Goss

It seems a lot of the preventative maintenance on automobiles these days involves keeping things clean. Now a prime example of that is the E.G.R. system.

E.G.R. stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and what it does is, it takes exhaust as it leaves the engine and recirculates it back into the cylinders to reduce the burning temperature of the fuel and air mix in each cylinder. The reason for that is if the fuel burns too hot the emissions go up and the fuel economy goes down, so this has to be done on a regular basis.

If we look at an E.G.R. valve off of a new Honda, for example, we would see that the passages are clean and unobstructed. But when you look at an older E.G.R. valve - one that hasn't been maintained with a passage that is completely blocked - that would have a significant effect on both emissions and fuel economy. So how do you prevent it?

About every 30,000 miles or so you look for an E.G.R. cleaning service. It uses a canister like we see here, and in that canister are some extremely strong chemicals that are fed into the E.G.R. system to clean away the cooked on carbon and everything that's in the passages. There are special adaptors for the different makes and models of vehicles, and it does an exceptionally good job.

The next thing that we need to keep clean is the transmission cooler. This is especially important following the failure of an automatic transmission. When that transmission fails, it fills the oiling system full of little bits of debris, and that can get trapped up inside the transmission cooler. There is no way to get that out except with a tool like this Hot Flush machine.

The Hot Flush machine uses a heated chemical that gets circulated in and then back, in and back. Through a process of going through this continuously for an extended period of time, it removes all of the debris out of the transmission cooler. That means you don't have repeated failures due to debris that has collected in the cooler and then moves back into your new transmission. If you need transmission work, this is the tool you should look for!

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #28
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

If you do the throttle body at the same time you can blast compressed air through the egr tubes and really clean out the system. Be warned you get soot in the air you should probably wear safety glasses too. Add some new plugs into the car at the same time and you will think you have a new ride.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #29
tfphoenix
tfphoenix is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tour. Got a p1404 and a p1406 on my girlfriends car hopefully this will fix them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tfphoenix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tfphoenix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tfphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #30
Critik
Critik is on a distinguished road

I just cleaned my throttle body and EGR valve today, as it was getting stuck open and throwing an SES light.

The pintle on mine became completely stuck the first time I depressed it, and spraying carb cleaner had no effect. I was horrified as I needed my car later that day for something. Finally I figured out that I could tap (hard but not too hard) the bottom of the valve (the one with the ports) with a screwdriver and it would pop back out again.

The engine idled real high and generally just acted funky after I did it (which may also be because of the throttle body being cleaned), but it eventually settled down after driving it some time. The SES light stayed on for awhile, but it eventually went off.

Very easy repair. Takes maybe 10 minutes if everything goes right. Thanks for the writeup!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Critik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Critik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Critik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #31
bboynowee
bboynowee is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW1 View Post
This is great news I recently failed emissions and the guy said I needed a new EGR valve so now I know what must be done ,however i recently did a head job and now I have to put a quart of oil every week ,can anyone help or do I just change the motor?
Hey I also failed the smog test...they guy at the smog place said that it may be my EGR...if i clean my EGR would I pass smog? And should I go for his advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bboynowee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bboynowee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bboynowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #32
Viperoni
Viperoni is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnchap View Post
I guess mine is due!I've had it 5 years and never cleaned it.I guess that's why she's getting lazy in hills.
Unless the EGR valve is sticking open, it's not your performance problem.
You would know if it was sticking open.

1995 SW2 (DOHC, MP3) at 15.545 @ 87.81mph:
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2346787/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Viperoni's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Viperoni reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #33
RocketmanVT
RocketmanVT is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Sunshn1972,
Thanks for the post - I cleaned the pintle on MY EGR, and the thing works fine, now! Not to mention that the SES light went out...
I was given to believe that the EGR could not been worked on, that it could only be replaced - this was told to me by a Saturn dealer (hmmm...You don't suppose he was only trying to sell me an expensive part, do you?)

Again, thanks alot for the post - looks like it'll be in my best interests to scour this site...I ned the kind of info you folks offer! (And the price is right, too!!!)

"Oh, bother," said Pooh, as the tripwire clicked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RocketmanVT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RocketmanVT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RocketmanVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #34
SlipKid
SlipKid is on a distinguished road

Speaking of cleaning EGR valves, I got a code on my 02 SC2 saying the EGR valve wan't working. I disassembled and like you it was as clean as a whistle. I checked the pneumatic valve and the blower motor, all components work fine manually but I have never seen the blower motor run or the valve actuate on its' own accord. What gives? Something in the electronics being fooled? Could the O2 sensor be triggeriing the code?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlipKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlipKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlipKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #35
tenn734
tenn734 is on a distinguished road

where can i pick up an egr gasket besides the dealer? does autozone carry them? whats the size/shape? thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tenn734's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tenn734 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tenn734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #36
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn734 View Post
where can i pick up an egr gasket besides the dealer? does autozone carry them? whats the size/shape? thanks
Probably AutoZone will have the gaskets. So will most other car parts stores. Tell them the year and model of your Saturn. They might ask which engine (DOHC or SOHC) or they might ask for the VIN to see the engine code. The price should be only a couple of dollars. Don't let it bend. Compare the new gasket to the old gasket before installing. I don't think it matters which side of the gasket faces up.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #37
David 93 SL2m
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

At AutoZone the part number for the EGR gasket for a 1999 Saturn SL2 is 70789. Do a product search for part number 70789 and you'll see it. For my ZIP code the price is $1.09.

http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,70789/sh...allResults.htm

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #38
goSL2go
goSL2go is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the pictures. It definitely prepared me for the extraction.

I got an error code of P0404 recently and autozone confirmed that it was a pintle position error. I bought the gasket and some WD40 and the autozone guy told me to run sea foam through the gas tank and engine when I was done with the EGR Valve cleaning. He said it was to help get the gunk out of my intake. I've never used that stuff before, what do you guys think? Should I do it? will it hurt? Or should I return the sea foam?

I removed the EGR Valve today and it was really simple as long as you have a deep socket for the screws. I didn't have to remove anything around the EGR valve as the intake and the rubber hose connecting the intake with the head case was flexible enough to get the EGR valve through.

So the pintle didn't look that dirty. Yes it was covered with soot, but the valve opened and closed quite easily. I appears to close all the way and there was no trouble with the travel. I used WD40 and brushed it with a toothbrush. What else should I do to clean it? Should the thing be really squeaky clean? Hopefully it's not broken and this "cleaning" will take care of my error code.

I'm capable of doing engine work, I'm just not experienced. I've taken apart lawn mower engines and rebuilt them to spec before and yes they started up and ran fine afterwards.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goSL2go's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goSL2go reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goSL2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #39
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goSL2go View Post
Thanks for the pictures. It definitely prepared me for the extraction.

I got an error code of P0404 recently and autozone confirmed that it was a pintle position error. I bought the gasket and some WD40 and the autozone guy told me to run sea foam through the gas tank and engine when I was done with the EGR Valve cleaning. He said it was to help get the gunk out of my intake. I've never used that stuff before, what do you guys think? Should I do it? will it hurt? Or should I return the sea foam?

I removed the EGR Valve today and it was really simple as long as you have a deep socket for the screws. I didn't have to remove anything around the EGR valve as the intake and the rubber hose connecting the intake with the head case was flexible enough to get the EGR valve through.

So the pintle didn't look that dirty. Yes it was covered with soot, but the valve opened and closed quite easily. I appears to close all the way and there was no trouble with the travel. I used WD40 and brushed it with a toothbrush. What else should I do to clean it? Should the thing be really squeaky clean? Hopefully it's not broken and this "cleaning" will take care of my error code.

I'm capable of doing engine work, I'm just not experienced. I've taken apart lawn mower engines and rebuilt them to spec before and yes they started up and ran fine afterwards.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

Many people here have used seafoam in various ways so you're ok there. I've put it in the gas tank and run it through the hose that comes off the pcv valve and goes into the intake...both with success....the pcv hose method probably cleans the intake a bit better than running it through your tank...do a search if you feel froggy enough to try. I don't know about WD40 but I have used SeaFoam deep creep to clean my EGR and it worked.....get it as clean as you can.....run the engine briefly to knock any crap out of the EGR ports on the engine...clean it real good in there with some seafoam and you should be ok. You'll get an SES code that should go away once you put the valve back on.

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #40
Carl26
Carl26 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2

I just cleaned my EGR valve and throttle body today with carb cleaner. My SC2 has 105k on it and I'm not sure if it was ever done before since I just bought it. There wasn't too much build-up in the ports. Everything went smoothly except that the Napa gasket was made wrong. The big hole and small hole were reversed. If I flipped it over then the bolt holes wouldn't line up. So I ended up reusing the original gasket.

Also I forgot to re-attach the electrical connector to the valve before I started the engine and it had a hard time starting. The Service Engine Soon light came on. I stopped the engine, re-attached the wiring and the engine fired right up the next time I tried to start it. I drove the car around for about 10 minutes and the SES light is still on. The car doesn't drive any differently - better or worse - than it did before I cleaned the valve and throttle body.

I'm going to read and clear the code tomorrow. I'm not sure what caused the SES light to come on. I read in the Haynes manual that the EGR valve should not be cleaned with solvents or degreaser because "both agents will permanently damage the diaphragm." I hope this is not the case with mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carl26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carl26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carl26 is offline   Reply With Quote