SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 09-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
king_tim
king_tim is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn SL head cracked (apparently a common problem)

My 1997 Saturn SL head cracked with only 136,000 miles because a flaw in the engine head, the engine was well taken care of but the Saturn dealer refused to fix it or even help with the cost to fix it. Anyone know a way to fix it cheap or to get Saturn to fix it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to king_tim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help king_tim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
king_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn SL head cracked (apparently a common problem)

There was a warranty extension, but you are beyond it in both time & mileage.

If the engine's otherwise good, a new head may make sense. Otherwise a low mileage wrecking yard engine.

All depends on the condition of the rest of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Get on ebay, I see heads on there all the time for your model. Or you can go to www.lkq.com I've gotten some terrific deals through them as well. They have entire engines as well. You could probably get an engine with the same mileage or less and have it shipped to your house or mechanic for about $500. Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
SaturnTech84
SaturnTech84 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

yes the single cams did have a prob with the head carcking an intermixing if your car is mixing the oil with the coolant you will need new hoses, and the coolant flushed GOOD, the only way to fix it is to replace the head or an engine most of the time i have also see by doing a head gasket on a car with high miles when installed the head could crack but most of the tome you can find a junk yard engine at a pretty good price i know that a saturn head is about 1700$ + labor is a very costly repair, but if you find a cheeper part you will Save big.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
scotsman
scotsman is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2003 VUE 3.0L

Expensive? VERY!! Big job? of course!!
I purchased our current 1996 SL1 from my brother-in-law just after the head cracked. The car only had 54K miles on it (05/2004) and after several calls to Saturn, they came to a resolution. Saturn "paid" for the part (head) and he paid for labor/fluids/other needed parts. Total bill was about $2500 if I remember correctly, minus the $800 for the head.
It was worth it on such a low milage vehicle. Higher milage and it might be time to look for something else.
Best of luck!!

2009 Aura XE
2003 Vue AWD 3.0
2000 SL2 5spd
1996 SL1 Auto
Former Saturns:
1999 SW2 5spd
1997 SL1 5spd (1st Saturn!)
1994 SL2 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

I went through this same situation with my 1997 SL 1 automatic.I bought it off lease back in 2000 with almost 38,000 miles.I took excellent care of this car and so did the first owner.My dealer worked with me to get Saturn to pick up part of the repairs.I was pissed that this happened.At that time I was only two payments away from paying off my car! My dealer Saturn of Livingston NJ came through for me.They did an excellent repair job.My SL is now using about two quarts of oil between changes which I am told is considerd acceptable by Saturn.If that is all that I will have to worry about I can live with it.
If Saturn is such a well engineered car then why should this problem occur? It is especially irritating when you take care care of your car.If Saturn is so well engineered then why do Saturns seem to consume oil? I thought that Saturn would always be my prefered brand of car.My 1997 is running well and still looks fairly new.It will be nine years old this October.That is when it came off the line.It will be nine years old since the road for the first time back in March 1997.I have almost 102,000 miles on it .
If I buy another Saturn it will be due to my dealers service dept.Quite frankly while I still enjoy my Saturn at times I still do not completely "trust" it.Given the poor quality control record of recent Saturns maybe they should concentrate on building a better quality car instead of fancy engineering stuff like a 6 speed automatic.I shudder to think what a quality control mess that will be given the Vti issues.If you go through almost every auto mag all of Saturns current models are

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dennis marshall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dennis marshall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dennis marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

cont from previous post: are not recommended.If I were you I would print Jill L comments{ underline the parts about caring for customers} and send them along with your service records to customer service @ Saturn.If you have taken good care of your care this should not happen.I am sorry I do not buy any excuses.A well engineered car that is taken care of should have this problem.This is not a broken belt.While the S series is in many respects a good solid car one has to wonder why these problems-oil consumption & cracked head should happen.By the way apparently the crack in my cylinder head was real small & the gasket held.What a lovely gift - a cracked cylinder head.I wonder how many well cared for Hondas & Toyotas have this problem? Saturn cannot figure out why the sales are down?
Consumers should not be stuck with this type of expense.I was not only satisfied with my dealer but with Saturns customer service.When they saw that every repair but two were done at the orginal selling dealer & how much care this 97 SL had been given they picked up part of the repair costs. They were very supportive.At the time of the incident my SL had 97,974 miles on it.I think that if you approach Saturn customer care from a creative angle they {hopefully} may pick up some of the costs.Good luck, safe driving & keep us posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dennis marshall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dennis marshall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dennis marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
king_tim
king_tim is on a distinguished road

first I called the corporate offices and they told me to contact my local dealer, so I did and told them the problem, and also told them how I recommended Saturn to my brother and my parents who both bought Saturns from that dealership. They simply told me that it was out of warranty and there was nothing they would do to help. I am so irritated with them right now, I don't think i'll ever be able to buy a saturn again if this is how I am treated. I really loved my Saturn until then, having very few problems in the time I had it, but a cracked head on a well maintaind car at 130,000 is just rediculous, I was considering selling the car on ebay with a big banner that says "Saturn won't fix it, maybe you can" list a really high buy it now and see if saturn is willing to pay to keep the bad publicity away. you think that might work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to king_tim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help king_tim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
king_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Unique Concepts
Unique Concepts is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2005 VUE 2.2L

Did you or the previous owner to it to your local facility to get it maintained?

Dont hate the player.....hate the game?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Unique Concepts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Unique Concepts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Unique Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Your warranty ran out 100,000 miles ago. Quit crying about it, no car will last forever. Something has to break first.

If you otherwise like the car and are willing to fix it some saturn fans will help you source parts and maybe even a mechanic near you if you're lucky. If you just want to go on a tirade that's fine too. If you wanted a longer term warranty on your new car the dealer had one to offer for many thousands of dollars that might have gone to 100,000 miles at the most. You had that choice and apparantly declined so live with it. I'm not paying an extra $2000 for a new saturn so people that whine hard enough can get their stuff fixed forever .

If you're jumping ship to go to another make that may please you better you will live an interesting life with no two cars of the same marque. After all there are 15 or so major manufacturers capable of making cars that last eight years, more or less, until something unforseen happens that offends you and you declare you won't buy from them again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #11
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_tim
"Saturn won't fix it, maybe you can" list a really high buy it now and see if saturn is willing to pay to keep the bad publicity away. you think that might work?
Man, your high hopes are going down, Saturn as a major car dealer of the United states and Canada, they wont do anything for one simple person, I myself used to own a 1987 Dodge aries with 50k on it, (equililant to about 30M) and the head gaskett let go, dear god man, head gasket is a great project to learn more about your car, if you have tools, i suggest you get them out, and buy yourself a damn manual. Life isnt all about quitting, quitting is lame. Go get a manual, and look up head gasket repair, and look around on the forums, im alomost 100% sure Wolfman has a walkthrough for head gasket repair, if he doenst someone else should. Dont quit when the going gets tough.

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #12
slaka8
slaka8 is on a distinguished road

130,000 miles and a head cracked. What is wrong with you. cars break. when would you expect to start having problems with a car. Owning a car is an expense. It must be a defective part if it only lasted 130,000 miles right! get a life
Ray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slaka8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slaka8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slaka8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

King, I’m with you. There is no reason for a head to crack, except for poor engineering. What’ poor engineering? An aluminum head/block engine! A little bit of over heating, they warp and crack. I’ve lived in the deep south (Miami) for 30 years and the first thing I do when I get a new car is pull the thermostat. (New for me is a car with at least 100k miles). I can hear the screams now, “On no, you shouldn’t do that. Your car won’t come up to its operating temp as designed by the manufacture. That’s true, if you live in Minnesota during the winter. I do what ever it takes to keep an engine as cool as I can. Direct-coupled fan clutch, oil coolers, transmission coolers, aux. fans, air ducts, blocks of ice, what ever it takes! The last time I cracked a head was in 72. I got stuck in traffic with a Fiat that had low oil pressure. The engine didn’t seize; it over heated and cracked the water jacket. So don’t get down on Saturn, they’re no better or worse than any another manufacture. And doing the PSM on a vehicle is no guarantee that you’ll never over heat an engine. You must take the initiative. Manufactures design generic cars, to be driven all over the world. Do they consider that where you live is 90+ degrees, 95% of the time? Maybe a little. Ask yourself this, What’s the main goal of a manufacture? Answer: Sell you a new car every year. Question: What does the factory consider as a good service record? Answer: If it’s out of warranty and they don’t have to pay for it. I maybe way off base with this specific failure. I don’t know, because I haven’t cracked a head in 33 years.
I do know that metal fatigue is cause by repeated expansion and contraction. This doesn’t help you out in this situation but at least you can prevent in the future. This just is an opinion and everybody knows they’re just like a-holes, everybody’s got one.
HEAT KILLS!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevestar99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #14
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

^ stevestar is on to something regarding thermal expansion.

Saturn calibrated the cooling fan to come on at a temp well above thermostat temp.

So if one drove in traffic then on the highway then got stuck in traffic, and repeated, the engine would always be swinging between 190 and 220 degrees.

A manual fan switch used and installed properly will ensure that water cooler than 190 degrees will always be available from the radiator: as much as the engine requires as regulated by the thermostat. The 220 setting is for economy, emissions, and to save the alternator but is ultimately stressful on the motor.

But ditching the thermostat entirely is retarded, because then the engine will swing down below the 190 degree minimum on the open road but still come up to 220 sitting in traffic. This stresses the head even more than the stock configuration. Also it'll sludge oil and goopify the piston rings, something especially unwanted in saturns.

The idea that not blowing a motor in 30-some-odd years is attributable to that one modification is like my saying a plastic bobblehead on my dashboard has kept me from getting a flat tire: purely specious reasoning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #15
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

CARS BREAK DONW! THEY DONT LAST FOREVER! You have 130,000 miles on it for gods sake...just because you are pissed it happened sooner than you would have liked it to dosent mean Saturn should fix it for you. As for putting it on Ebay with a banner saying Saturn wont fix it.....grow up buddy....if you dont like that fact that mechanical parts dont last forever...start friggen walking or take the bus.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #16
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Things simply happen. My 95 SL1 had the radiator go and the wheel bearing and I had to replace a clutch at 120,000 miles. Things wear out. I certainly would not expect Saturn to pay for it after all these miles and years. Sounds like life in some alternate universe.
Some cars need their timing belts and water pumps replaced every 60,000 miles at 300-600 a crack. To me that's a built in defect, others call it regular servicing.
Sort of like the woman asking for advice on another site. She had nearly 90,000 miles on her Saturn and the trans went.It was well out of warranty but she was raging that Saturn wouldn't fix it for free. She had "heard" there was a problem with Saturn transmissions and even went so far as to contact a consumer advocate at a local TV station to start an "expose' " on this dealer.
The car had been purchased new, had never been back to the dealer for any service or warranty work [it was too far away] and was 6 years out of warranty. But the dealer was the evil one in all this. She had no record of any servicing, nothing, but it was all Saturn's fault and she was going to ruin a guy's reputation over it. But she's a single Mom, so I guess that was supposed to sway them.
136,000 miles and Saturn won't fix it and you're irritated with THEM ??? You're being ridiculous.
If it's so well cared for, please round up your service records and let us know exactly what that means. And if it was purchased used all bets are off. You have no idea how well cared for or not it was before you got it.
Many claim their cars get the "best of care", but most simply have no clue.
Taking out your thermostat is a great way to void your warranty, BTW.

Last edited by Citation84; 09-11-2005 at 01:52 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #17
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

Eljefino is absolute 100% right. But I noticed he lives in Maine, not Texas or Florida. Around here, when it’s 60 degrees outside, that’s considered an arctic blast. Frying an egg on pavement, child’s play. I can do a whole B.B.Q. from April to Oct. on the black top. My reasoning for tossing the thermostat is: Even when the thermostat is working properly it restricts water flow although admittedly not much. It’s my feeble attempt, among other thing to keep my temp down. You shouldn’t have to do any of the before mentioned in a perfect world, but you know where I live. I would bet none of my engines run under 150 after two minutes from a cold start and I do every think I can to keep them away from the 200 range. I see new cars every day, on the side of the road with hoods up, steam rising, and water pouring out from underneath. As far as gummed up oil and sludge, I got to run 20w40 to keep oil pressure above 10 psi at idle.

76 Vette...........300k+...original engine......rings and valves.......owned since 85
92 Mazda truck......185k.....original engine......no major work.......owned since 98
95 Saturn SL1.......210k......original engine......no major work.......owned since 02

Water, fuel pumps, alternators, etc.. not considered major work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #18
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

... and if you run hotter than 190 (thermostat temp, whether or not you're running a thermostat) driving hours on end on the highway, and are in a safely warm spot like florida, you can run less than 50% antifreeze... eg more water in the mix. I'd hate to have to walk in that heat though.

That mix has better heat transfer. A user on this bbs, SL2Abuser, tows more than the weight of his car and is running a 20/80 mix for his self-created extreme conditions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #19
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

be glad it happened now...Mine cracked at about 80k....Im at 106 now...I think my tranny is goin...

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_skin_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #20
stevestar99

Here’s my last word on this subject and I shut the “f “up. I don’t squat about Saturns, if I did I wouldn’t be here leeching off this form’s knowledgeable techs., who so generously give it up. Great site, great info. “Bravo Zulu”. The point I was trying to make was, I’m shaking my head when I hear a cracked head is normal wear and tear, that “King” should be happy that he got 136k before the head self- destructs, that there isn’t some kind of design or manufacturing defect. If the car isn’t being abused, a head should never crack..
Reality Q&A (Q); Is “King” being a bit of a crybaby. (A); yeah.............(Q); Does Saturn care and are they going to do something about. (A); no............ (Q); Who’s responsible to see that it never happens again, (A); King...............(Q); How does King achieve this lofty goal, (A); by keeping his engine under the manufactures recommend/ programed temps............ (Q); And how does one do this, (A); by any means necessary, which may or may not include ditching the thermostat.
“ Now for the rest of the story” Eljefiino is right on the money. The Saturn needs it thermostat. Don’t pull it. The real problem is with the factory pre-set on the cooling fan. You’re going to have to do some pretty fast-talking to convince me that the factory isn’t intentionally overheating these engines. The PCM is a slave to an intensively programmed eprom. Eproms are chiseled in stone. They don’t change operation info on their own. They don’t ware down and kind of work in some areas and not in others. They work 100% or not at all. So if an engine is normally being run at an overly high temp, the engineer’s programmed that way. And why would they do that? I don’t know, do you? With a couple of keystrokes the engine never sees anything over 190. The final solution is “Wolfman’s fan switch” with one eye on the temp gauge and one finger on the switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!