SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would You Buy A Big SUV Like The Outlook With Current Price Trends?
Yes. 16 30.19%
No. 27 50.94%
Maybe. 4 7.55%
Depends On Market Conditions At That Time. 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE
Question Is There Going To Be A Market For The Outlook?

I know this is a temporary crisis, but don't you think the big SUV has seen its day? There was a good article in the local paper about the introduction of the new Jeep Commander. Jeep Article. I'm sure the Outlook is going to be a nice vehicle and probably will sell decently. I just think GM isn't going to make any profit on it. Anyone wanna flame me or post any other comments on this

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Is There Going To Be A Market For The Outlook?

The outlook is a unibody FWD minivan wannabe as far a fuel milage is concerned. The Jeep commander on the other hand is a real truck and will suck down fuel in comparison.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

The Outlook (and GMC/Buick crossovers) is expected to be mentioned in the same breaths as the Pacifica and Freestyle. Even if they flop (which I doubt) the architecture won't go to waste, it's being used on the new GM minivans that come out near the end of the decade.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

There might be a market because there are always people with a lot of passengers to haul around who don't like the look of vans.
I answered no to the question because I'd buy a Suburban. I don't trust the longevity of large vehicles with FWD based drivetrains.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:38 AM   #5
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

GM can build whatever it wants,but IMO the market will belong to the most fuel efficent vehicles. There will always be some buyer who can afford 300 Horsepower rides and mamoth SUVs and some who will even pay thousands in gas guzzler taxes just to have them.But the average American car owner just cant afford these toys and the company that gives the public what it needs in time of crisis will have the most success with its products.The corporation to be hit hardest IMO will be Chrysler who is bent on building Hemi V8s in many of its products and large trucks leaving itself little room for the current market demands.Many at Chrysler/Benz still think its the 1960s.If Saturn can make a fuel efficent Outlook(upper 20smpg highway wont be concitered fuel efficent much longer) they will sell a bunch of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
ssn
ssn is on a distinguished road

Until Saturn's image changes from bland family car to stylish car that the masses actually say wow that's a nice car. All Saturn's will fail. Image matters. You make a car people want and people will buy it. You make a bland car that inspires nobody then almost nobody will buy it. L-series was a nice car that was very bland. ION was a nicer car than 10+ year old s-series, but still bland with the exceptions of classy accent rail and center dash (those were great ideas . VUE was a decent offering, but CVT doomed it to be known a unreliable. Relay should have been viewed as what it is...a van. You don't call a horse a dog just because somebody might not like horses. The outlook will do fine if it is a style that people go...WOW. Like the SKY, otherwise it will fail like the others have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Idea Re: Is There Going To Be A Market For The Outlook?

Folks with larger families are going to need some type of vehicle to transport themselves around in. I think we'll see large SUVs like the Tahoe, Yukon, Sequoia, and Expedition fall as those families move to more fuel efficient midsize SUVs like the the Outlook, Pilot, and Highlander.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

I agree with Charlie. I think we'll see the segment for the "bigger than a minivan, smaller than your TANK" suv's expand rapidly, and put the big gas guzzlers out of their commission for good.

Lol, I always hated Excursions anyway, and now Ford's replacing even it with a larger one called the Everest. Morons. Have they SEEN gas prices? They must be nuts.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

I think the Outlook's target market will be fine. It's in that "just right" size category for an SUV/crossover, and I'm sure it will get better gas mileage than your typical Explorer/Expedition/Yukon/Suburban.

My reality check bounced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:37 PM   #10
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Uhh...

If the average American car buyer can afford the $35k Sienna XLE Ltd's and +30k other Siennas and Highlanders and Honda Ody's and Pilots that I see running around here, without rebates...I don't think the SUV's that are going for $28k on Employee discounts are a huge affordability problem.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #11
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt
GM can build whatever it wants,but IMO the market will belong to the most fuel efficent vehicles. There will always be some buyer who can afford 300 Horsepower rides and mamoth SUVs and some who will even pay thousands in gas guzzler taxes just to have them.But the average American car owner just cant afford these toys and the company that gives the public what it needs in time of crisis will have the most success with its products.The corporation to be hit hardest IMO will be Chrysler who is bent on building Hemi V8s in many of its products and large trucks leaving itself little room for the current market demands.Many at Chrysler/Benz still think its the 1960s.If Saturn can make a fuel efficent Outlook(upper 20smpg highway wont be concitered fuel efficent much longer) they will sell a bunch of them.
VERY perceptive.Chrysler once again with the wrong cars at the wrong time. And apparently there will be a several month gap between the last Neon and the Caliber, the Neon replacement [and as ugly as it gets from the pictures I have seen ]. $3.50 a gallon gas and nothing economical to sell ? [I don't classify the Jeep Liberty Diesel as economical; at least not in the way a Neon is] Smooth move. Advantage Chrysler.... NOT.
The full size SUV market peaked a couple of years ago and has been trending downward ever since, according to The Car Connection. August alone was down 33 %.
It was only a matter of time. Fads come and go : compacts, hatchbacks, pony cars, mini vans, station wagons, personal luxury coupes..... then the cycle repeats. There will always be a market for a certain # of each of these types of cars, but, yes, Bertillion, I think the traditional SUV market has peaked. But lets drop our other plans and pull the full size SUVs and trucks forward, eh GM ? A little more massaging of the corporate vision to squeeze some short term gains out of the SUV market share, I guess. Just in time for Honda to bring out the new Civic..... go figure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:05 AM   #12
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADEDSL2
Lol, I always hated Excursions anyway, and now Ford's replacing even it with a larger one called the Everest. Morons. Have they SEEN gas prices? They must be nuts.
The Excursion is awesome. People complain too much about it. What other vehicles can haul 7 people in comfort, a bunch of stuff and tow a 10000lb trailer? The Suburban is an awesome vehicle also. There will always be a market for ultimate capability vehicles. It might not be 200K units per year, but it will be enough to make producing the vehicles worth it.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #13
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

That's true. The mini van market peaked, but there is no denying the importance of having one available. Saturn won't be selling 100,000 SKYs, but does anyone think it doesn't have an important place in the line up?
I am not interested in a large SUV, but there are thousands out there who are. And a lot of those may just LOVE the way Saturn serves it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:37 AM   #14
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I agree that the days of the big SUV are numbered. Fuel efficient cars will be the wave of the future for most Americans. However, I see one trend emerging in the small van market. The Mazda5 and the new Subaru van will be fuel efficient people haulers. Have you noticed all of the first generation Toyota vans still on the road? The current crop of minivans have, IMO gotten too big, too bloated, too expensive and not fuel efficient. I hope that GM gives us something in this small van category.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:52 AM   #15
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
I agree that the days of the big SUV are numbered. Fuel efficient cars will be the wave of the future for most Americans. However, I see one trend emerging in the small van market. The Mazda5 and the new Subaru van will be fuel efficient people haulers. Have you noticed all of the first generation Toyota vans still on the road? The current crop of minivans have, IMO gotten too big, too bloated, too expensive and not fuel efficient. I hope that GM gives us something in this small van category.
AMEN. Time to revisit the original Voyager/Caravan concept. All the new products are ridiculously over sized for what they're called on to do.
I LIKED the new Mustang till I saw one up close and realized what a bloated pig it is. Same with the Mitsubishi Eclipse. 3500 lb "sports car" ???? WTF.
A minivan the size of the VUE would be very close to the original mini van concept. But that will be yet another market that GM will hand over to the Koreans and the Japanese. A "portfolio" so heavily weighted towards gas hogs is going to cause GM's market share to implode.Even the compact pick ups were replaced by even larger "mid size" trucks.
It's a shame, but they've had 20 or more years to be prepared for another gas crisis and have taken steps in the OPPOSITE direction while Toyota was hedging it's bets with fuel efficient vehicles being sold right alongside it's largest models.
Nothing was learned from the 70s or the 80s it seems.

Last edited by Citation84; 09-08-2005 at 08:59 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #16
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
The Excursion is awesome. People complain too much about it. What other vehicles can haul 7 people in comfort, a bunch of stuff and tow a 10000lb trailer? The Suburban is an awesome vehicle also. There will always be a market for ultimate capability vehicles. It might not be 200K units per year, but it will be enough to make producing the vehicles worth it.

Ay ay! I rode in a V10 Limited Edition Excursion for a 19 hour trip! I didn't ever really get uncomfortable. I think there was 6 of us in there. 13 mpg going 85 mph at ~1600 rpm.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #17
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADEDSL2
They're not nuts, just poor planners. The Everest, though due as a 2007 model, was conceived well in advance of $3/gal gasoline prices. GM had no way of knowing that a Category 4 hurricane would wreak havoc on the Gulf Coast refineries within a half-year before the GMT900s were due to enter the marketplace, are they dumb*, too? (just a rhetorical question) Please don't think that I am defending them. Poor planning is just that -poor planning. Ill-timed launch is another euphemism that comes to mind.

Anyway, car-based crossovers are the future as far as I'm concerned. DaimlerChrysler and the Japanese Big 3 are well along paving this road. Ford will have the Lincoln Aviator, Fairlane and Mercury Freestyle (some "M" name, perhaps Montclair or Monarch?) as car-based alternatives to the ginormous Everest. At least with the Saturn Outlook and its Buick/GMC variants, GM won't be as late to this party as they have been in the past.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #18
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't buy a big SUV no matter what fuel costs.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:35 AM   #19
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

All true Gr898SL2.
Can't believe though that there wasn't one long term planner in the organization that could see another gas "crisis" coming and a market change brewing. It was only a matter of time for either. Short term profits over long term profitability rules, I guess.
Let's hope the Outlook is sensational and not just an "offering" or "prescence" in the market like the Relay or GM's other mini vans. They can at LEAST make it as attractive as Saab's version of the corporate small SUV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!