SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 08-30-2005, 03:53 AM   #1
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Wrench Code P0301 Troubleshooting

I have seen a recent upswing in the number of folks getting SES lights that reveal the P301 code when scanned. (Misfire) I will toss this out as a quick "general" troubleshooting guide with TWO senarios:

Senario #1.
Upon initial start up, cars runs/idles very rough, though usually sometimes only briefly, and SES light comes on. (Code P0301 generated)
In this senario, odds are that a problem exists in the IGNITION system somewhere. Things to check:
1. Spark plugs (non platinum, correct gap)
2. Spark plug wires (cross firing due to age and moisture or oil flooded plug wells in the DOHC engines only)
3. Coil pack towers (corroded)
4. Coil pack to engine bolts corroded at loop connectors

Senario #2.
Car starts and idles ok, cruises ok, but stumbles, jerks and or "misses" during moderate acceleration or hill climbing, and SES light comes on. (Code P0301 generated) In this senario, odds are that a problem lies in the FUEL or EGR system despite what the code suggests. A fault in one of those other two systems may be leaning out the air fuel mixture briefly and causing the misfire. Things to check:
1. Fuel injectors clogged
2. EGR valve sticking
3. MAP sensor vacuum ports clogged/leaking or poor electrical connection
4. Faulty TPS or TPS wiring/connector
5. Items 1-4 in senario 1 (just to be sure)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Protour
Protour is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Code P0301 Troubleshooting

With scenario 1, would the rough idle go away after warming up if it's an electrical issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Protour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Protour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Protour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Sometimes a scenario 1 will temporarily resolve itself. It has to do with exactly what's causing the problem. If it's a matter of a plug disorder, then many times the plug will begin to fire even though it has failed to contribute to the starting of the engine. It's difficult to light a plug in a rich mixture, such as you would have on a first start. Same thing for the secondary ignition wires.

Though one should look at this bad/okay situation as a severe warning that a tune up is in order and things will only get worse and more costly from this point. If it's just a plug or wire, it will eventually take out the coils as the plugs get harder and harder to fire. That voltage has to go somewhere and even if the system manages to fire the plug, the coil secondary voltage will be far in excess of what it should be, which makes the coils run hotter and live a shorter life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
Tomvich
Tomvich is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

On Senario 1 & 2 , how would one test an injector ?. Haynes recommends
disconnecting electrical connector and measuring resistance, should be
11.5 to 12.5 ohms for 96 and later cars. I`ve not seen Wolfman
recommend this in past posts. He suggests swapping injectors to isolate
tbl to specific injector. If the injector resistance is off, is this a reliable
indicator to pull rail and replace injector with a 301 code ? I have a
301 problem right now so maybe i should continue this in proper
thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tomvich's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tomvich reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tomvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
kellerje
kellerje is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

It is also my understanding that the most common place for an intake manifold gasket to fail is over cylinder no. 1 leading to vacume leak type symptoms and also result in P0301 code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kellerje's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kellerje reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kellerje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
thesalboy
thesalboy is on a distinguished road

Research suggests intake manifold leak is more common problem on SOHC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thesalboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thesalboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thesalboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Puck head
Puck head is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Sometimes a scenario 1 will temporarily resolve itself. It has to do with exactly what's causing the problem. If it's a matter of a plug disorder, then many times the plug will begin to fire even though it has failed to contribute to the starting of the engine. It's difficult to light a plug in a rich mixture, such as you would have on a first start. Same thing for the secondary ignition wires.

Though one should look at this bad/okay situation as a severe warning that a tune up is in order and things will only get worse and more costly from this point. If it's just a plug or wire, it will eventually take out the coils as the plugs get harder and harder to fire. That voltage has to go somewhere and even if the system manages to fire the plug, the coil secondary voltage will be far in excess of what it should be, which makes the coils run hotter and live a shorter life
I think this is my problem. The coils. But u just replaced plugs And coils last year. Didnt do the wires though. But I did just replace the plugs
And wires now. And still have either p0301 or p0303. Could my coils have worn out in only a year. I got them from autozone so I'm sure theyre not that great

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Puck head's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Puck head reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Puck head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Spoofdogg
Spoofdogg is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Wolfman, do you mean I should use platinum plugs?
Or should I stick with copper?

The local Autozone is telling me that the platinum ones will work better.
Is this a sales pitch B.S. or truth?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spoofdogg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spoofdogg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spoofdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
Spoofdogg
Spoofdogg is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoofdogg View Post
Wolfman, do you mean I should use platinum plugs?
Or should I stick with copper?

The local Autozone is telling me that the platinum ones will work better.
Is this a sales pitch B.S. or truth?

Thanks!
Scratch this question, I just came across your article about the ignition system....
Searching these forums on my phone is WAY too restrictive, I need to remember to search on a physical computer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spoofdogg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spoofdogg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spoofdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #10
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Personally the first thing I'd start with on a misfire is a compression check. Bare minimum PSI is 180.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
ErnestoMM
ErnestoMM is on a distinguished road

1991 Astra XE
1991 Astra XE
Default I appreciated

nothing else needs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErnestoMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErnestoMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErnestoMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
sc02
sc02 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

I have a 2002 sc1 SOHC and had a p0301 before. I replaced all plugs and wires and the code was gone for a while. Currently I have been battling with the p0410 code and have done everything short of removing the exhaust manifold to clean the carbon from the inside. Now the p0301 code is back as well.

Since the plugs and wires only have 15k on them, it looks like this code might be coming from the exhaust manifold gasket. Guess while I am cleaning the exhaust manifold I can replace the gasket and hopefully kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

My car did over heat from the engine fan motor going out. Are there any other things to look for that can be causing this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc02 is offline   Reply With Quote