SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2
Default SPS cat-back exhaust

Has anybody got an SPS cat-back exhaust? With or without their muffler? I don't recall ANYBODY claiming to have installed one in the years that I've been here. My dealer didn't think it was very good when I asked them about it a few years ago.

I'm prepared for a deafening silence + Thermal R&D, HKS, and custom shop recommendations.

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
SL2Dreams
SL2Dreams is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1995 SW2
Default Re: SPS cat-back exhaust

http://www.turbosaturns.net/forum/vi...ht=sps+catback

some people's experiences with it.... both good and bad. I'd take note to locations and such.

I bet it'd be cheaper to buy amuffler off of ebay and have an exhaust shop/local mechanic do it with mandrel bends than to get the SPS one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Dreams's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Dreams reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

Thanks, I was hoping that their quality had improved since I first asked my dealer (around 2001). I guess not

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Craig
Advanced Member
Craig is on a distinguished road

I installed the SPS stainless steel cat-back a few years ago in my '95 SW2, topped it off with a Borla muffler. Not a bad system, but I had to rework it to make it fit properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Craig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Craig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
Niteshooter
Niteshooter is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiWire
Has anybody got an SPS cat-back exhaust? With or without their muffler? I don't recall ANYBODY claiming to have installed one in the years that I've been here. My dealer didn't think it was very good when I asked them about it a few years ago.

I'm prepared for a deafening silence + Thermal R&D, HKS, and custom shop recommendations.

Heh heh you must have called Saturn of Thornhill. I just called them today and was planning on going to visit with them tomorrow to see this Thermal exhaust system they have since the resonator on our 99 SL2 is rotting out and the dealer wants.....$450 cdn just for that! So we will have to make a descision on something soon. I posted a question in the S-series forum and got no replies asking about SPS.

The Thermal looks a LOT nicer though one car which I was planning on doing is going to be driven through the winter so that nice polishing job is going to get demoded fast, the second SL2 is not winter driven so might be more of a contender.

Only wanted SS because of it's supposed resistance to rusting but from the link posted (thanks) that might not be the case. Guess my next call is to Speedy and Midas to see how much a cheap resonator is.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niteshooter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niteshooter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Niteshooter
Niteshooter is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1999 SL1

Just a follow up. I went up to Saturn Saab Isuzu of Thornhill last weekend and talked to Victor about the different exhausts. Nice guy and had lots of useful info. I wanted to listen to a system so I went back this morning and had a look at their Ion which has the Thermal exhaust kit installed along with a cold air intake. Nice car.

So to make a long story short my 00 SL2 now has a Thermal cat back system installed. It is louder than the Ion's and my original factory setup but the build quality is pretty nice.

The folks behind the parts counter Roger, Nancy and Victor were VERY helpful as was Jim the tech who did my install and Andrew from the service department.

A more complete set of photos at, http://www.kevinomura.com/saturns/SL2install/ . Will try an add captions when I figure out how to get Indesign to see the pages. This documents the original system and then the newly installed Thermal setup. The stock exhaust system has 160,000 kms on it and was in pretty good shape so we saved it for our SL1 and/or warranty work.

I haven't noticed a major increase in performance yet but then I only have the K&N drop in air filter and have only driven maybe 30 km.

A couple of things to note, I was told to keep my original exhaust system because I would need to reinstall it if there was a warranty claim. The parts have to be shipped back to the manufacturer. There is a lifetime warranty on the system for blowouts and defects in material and workmanship but I have a feeling it does not include labour. Not 100% sure though.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niteshooter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niteshooter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
HiWire

2001 SC2

The Thermal R&D system looks great! I'm trying to figure out if I want the HKS, Thermal, or custom, but I'm leaning towards Thermal for next year's installation.

By the way, the AEM Cold Air Intake is a great power adder, if you're looking for more performance.

The Thornhill crew are great... Victor installed my intake, and also advised me on the Vibrant strut tower bar, cross-drilled brakes, and brake pads. Their performance shop does great work.

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!