SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #21
AQuinn19
AQuinn19 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Window Regulator Replacement

When it comes to this, I have the manual crank windows. This will be my third one in a year in a half. I think the issue is the teeth in there keep grinding down for some reason. I am looking to save some money, curious if the power is the same as the manual crank basically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AQuinn19's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AQuinn19 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AQuinn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #22
tinker
tinker is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy155 View Post
Try
"home.comcast.net/~David93SL2/regulator/"
I would like to replace my front driver's side manual window regulator on my Saturn. The posts here are encouraging, however I notice David93SL2 ' s tutorial is not available at the link given. It would be a greatly appreciated to see what this looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 93 SL2m
The manual windows with cranks use a regulator to make sure the window rises and lowers evenly.
Is there a new link to your tutorial?

many thanks, ~tinker

Last edited by tinker; 09-05-2010 at 06:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tinker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tinker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
RobinSnyder
RobinSnyder is on a distinguished road

Default Possible fixes and issues with all 4 window failure.

We have all 4 windows in our SL2w nonfunctioning. Possible issues or issues?

Also blinker are not working.
Robin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobinSnyder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobinSnyder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobinSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #24
roadie5
roadie5 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My window is messed up. I don't know what the problem is but I just want to unhook my window from regulator and prop up. I have a LS 2000. I can't figure out how to get my window away from regulator arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be great too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to roadie5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help roadie5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
roadie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #25
jcoov1104
jcoov1104 is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

what is the window doing or not doing? Is it power or hand crank?

JCoov

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcoov1104's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcoov1104 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcoov1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #26
roadie5
roadie5 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie5 View Post
My window is messed up. I don't know what the problem is but I just want to unhook my window from regulator and prop up. I have a LS 2000. I can't figure out how to get my window away from regulator arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be great too
I finally gave up and took to get fixed thanks

A woman who doesn't want to get taken advantaged at repair shop. Trying to build my armor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to roadie5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help roadie5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
roadie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #27
summerscheifer
summerscheifer is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Window Regulator Replacement

newbie here and found out this thread. i really need to replace my window regulator and luckily saw the solution to my problem. thanks guys also thanks to one who posted it. godbless peepz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to summerscheifer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help summerscheifer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
summerscheifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
Abigail
Abigail is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I need to install a new window regulator and motor in my 1995 chevy caprice classic 4.3Lv8. GM wants $500 for a new part but I found a used/repaired one online for $150. I need to know if its worth it to do it cheaply myself with the repaired one or should I have my mechanic do it through GM. Also I can't seem to find an installation guide online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abigail's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abigail reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #29
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Window Regulator Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
Hello,
I need to install a new window regulator and motor in my 1995 chevy caprice classic 4.3Lv8. GM wants $500 for a new part but I found a used/repaired one online for $150. I need to know if its worth it to do it cheaply myself with the repaired one or should I have my mechanic do it through GM. Also I can't seem to find an installation guide online. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
If you are only going to keep your car for a little while longer then you can install a used and/or rebuilt window regulator with motor, otherwise I'd recommend getting a new window regulator with motor installed.

For a 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic a new AC Delco window regulator with motor can be purchased from http://www.rockauto.com/ for $360 to $380, or from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ for $275 to $300. Plus shipping. There are also many GM dealerships that sell parts over the Internet for little or no markup - search for "discount GM parts" or something similar.

For directions I'd suggest either a Chiltons manual or a Haynes manual. Both are okay and each has their strengths and weaknesses. They cost about this same. If you are going to keep your car for a while then these can show you how to do other things such as change oil, coolant, radiator hoses, thermostat, and even harder stuff such as the alternator, water pump, radiator, spark plugs, etc. Sometimes these can be found at the local public library. Another option is to use free online repair services, offered at http://www.autozone.com/ or perhaps again at your local public library. The last option would be to seek out an automotive forum similar to this one that focuses on the 1990s GM B-body cars (Chevrolet Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, Chverolet Impala SS, etc.) where you'll find many people with the same or similar cars to yours - and they will be able to help out with power window troubleshooting, parts, tools, and directions. And more. Hmmm, maybe this should be your first option.

One thing to keep in mind is instead of a window regulator and/or motor failing, on this car there is a higher chance that the issue is actually with the window regulator rollers or guides as they fail more often. These are inexpensive, maybe $2 each, and can be bought at places that sell common auto parts and maintenance things such as Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, PepBoys, NAPA, O'Reilly's, Checker, Schuck's, or Kragen, etc. depending on your region.

Whether to pay a mechanic to do this job or to do it yourself depends on many things such as the amount of time, if you have the tools, if you have the space, if you have the desire, and so on. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 would be increasing the air pressure in the tires and 10 would be rebuilding the automatic transmission, I'd guess fixing a power window problem rates around 4 or 5 depending on the vehicle.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #30
keithreed
keithreed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this link!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keithreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keithreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keithreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #31
susan10
susan10 is on a distinguished road

I am about to oder my replacement window regulater and replace it. This is a great write up and I will use it to guide me on my way. I was able to score a window regulater off Ebay for 65 bucks shipped!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to susan10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help susan10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
susan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #32
jollymoon
jollymoon is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1

glad to help...

with the tips and tricks I found here... I was able to replace my regulator with very little trouble...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jollymoon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jollymoon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jollymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #33
texas3000gt
texas3000gt is on a distinguished road

Thank you for uploading this step by step instructions, I have replaced the window regulator and I can say to myself that I am proud to know how it's done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to texas3000gt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help texas3000gt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
texas3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #34
38TransAM
38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
1999 SL2

Part number for regulator guides is 21172105 at GM part sites. 5-6$ each need 2 a window. This is the piece the regulator arms push up/down on to raise/lower the window.

Have to tear into mine to see if that is all I need, can save a lot of money this way.

Also to person with the B body, the regulator guide/rollers fail on them left and right 99% of the time it is the issue for like 15-20$ u can get a set to do all 4 doors.

Saturn OEM GM reman. engine NO LONGER AVAILABLE (SOLD OUT)
96 SL2 still kicking at 182k (now with updated mileage)
99 HCE 63k Now at 97k and new GM Reman engine due to road debris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 38TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 38TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
38TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #35
Mystic_Cobra
Mystic_Cobra is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

The wife says she's tired of pulling up the driver's side power window in her 2000 SL2.
RockAuto lists the motor for $30 from AC Delco, Cardone, and Dorman. They also list the regulator WITH motor assembly for $90 from Dorman.

I want to do the job right and I don't want to have to work on this again.
I've done this job several times on Mustangs. The plastic bushings inside the motor always go after about 10 years or 100K miles.

What's the best way to go?

thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mystic_Cobra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mystic_Cobra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mystic_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote