SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
schultp
schultp is on a distinguished road

Default Window Regulator Replacement

Here is a link to a great pictorial/tutorial on how to replace the window regulator on the generation 1 S-series. It is not by me but from David 93 SL2m:

David's Window Regulator Replacement Tutorial

It originally was posted by David in the S-series Model Forum.

Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schultp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schultp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
schultp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
3.8TransAM
3.8TransAM is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default Re: Window Regulator Replacement

The link does not work

The car that is to dumb to die: 92 SL1

Fill the oil check the gas

Favorite quote while merging with traffic in the SL1 "I'm gonna die!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3.8TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3.8TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
kilroy155
kilroy155 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Try
http://home.comcast.net/~David93SL2/regulator/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilroy155's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilroy155 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilroy155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
kilroy155
kilroy155 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

FYI, I managed to replace the driver's door window regulator in my wife's 1995 SL2 this weekend. I used a combination of info from the excellent link above along with my Haynes Repair Manual and another thread here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875

Note: I ordered the special Sash Nut socket spanner tool mentioned and it did not fit the sash nuts on our 1995 SL2. I then tried to make one from a brake piston tool as David did but the metal was too soft and the stud broke off when I tried to remove the very tight sash nuts. I ended up having to take my Dremel to the new Snap-on tool as well as using a drill on the sash nuts themselves to elongate a pair of the holes in the sash nut. The combination of these two things allowed me to get them off. I was too frustrated at that point to think about taking a photo of the sash nuts but here is a photo of what I had to do to the tool:
http://www.rsage.com/images/SashNut_Tool.jpg

The tool may work fine for other model years - I don't know, but it didn't work without modification on ours. I'm still glad I ordered it or I would have never gotten the sash nuts off but thought I would mention this for others who might be attempting this job. There may be another version of the tool specific to my model year but I don't know what it is, if so.

Besides getting the sash nuts off, the only other difficult part of the job was reconnecting the metal links and retainer clips to the interior door handle assembly during re-assembly (I had to take several frustration breaks).

Another possibly useful piece of info is the size bolts to use for replacing the original rivets that hold the regulator in - I found that 1/4" width x 1/2" long hex head bolts worked nicely (I used 28 thread count). You'll need four bolts plus a nut, 2 regular washers, and a lock washer (optional) for each. I also used loctite on them. I didn't know what size to use ahead of time, so had to wait until I got the door apart and the regulator removed before running to the auto parts store to get the needed bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilroy155's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilroy155 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilroy155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

What is a sash nut. If replacing the power window motor is what's being removed here, I did it with a drill bit and a big hammer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeCaff2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #6
graysl
graysl is on a distinguished road

According to the Chilton's guide, the correct tool for removing the window sash nuts is SA9148B. In searching for that tool part number, I found that OTC made an identical tool (OTC7827).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to graysl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help graysl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
graysl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Window Regulator Replacement

I need to apologize to many people. graysl alerted me to the errors on my webpage and I updated it this morning with the following:

Quote:
Important update! Although Snap-On says this tool is "for GM and Chrysler cars and light trucks" at their web site, several Saturn owners found this tool does not work with our Saturns. Unfortunately I got the information from the following thread at SaturnFans...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17958

...and I foolishly repeated the information here without checking it out first for myself. In the following thread which mentions this webpage, another Saturn owner points out Chilton's says to use Saturn tool SA9148B and found a tool from OTC (OTC7827) that is compatible:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=864861

I searched for this using Google and the OTC tool appears to be correct for our Saturns. There were over 150 search results and naturally most of them were from tool companies selling this item.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=OTC7827

Here is a picture of OTC7827:

I will upload my pictures to SaturnFans then merge my notes and Chilton's information together into a How-To thread at SaturnFans...

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
mXnewbie
mXnewbie is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Being on an island, no tool shop had the OTC bolt on-hand. Fortunately I came across this wrench held by Mac Tools that fit perfect and made the job run smooth. Between it and the tutorial, it took no time...outside of getting the rivets out.

SWF3, Adjustable Face Spanner Wrench, 3"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mXnewbie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mXnewbie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
dancin4
dancin4 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1996 SC2

I found this repair on my 1996 sl-2 to be relatively easy. I did it during the warm weather in summer. I also took the time to show my 3 sons how to do the repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dancin4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dancin4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dancin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
KevRoath
KevRoath is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: Window Regulator Replacement

ShultP, thanks for the great post. help me a bunch on my wifes 93 SL1. I did nt have to replace the entire regulator. On hers one of the sash nut came free and the window had to be hand guided going up and down. Opened up the exterior door panel with just your pic's and comments (no chilton or haynes), Found the sash nut free on the isndie of the door. Reattached and all is good. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevRoath's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevRoath reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevRoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #11
Combat Medic
Combat Medic is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
Idea Re: Window Regulator Replacement

First, I'd like to thank all of you for your input on this little project. It definitely helped me plan everything before hand so I had everything in place... that is until I had the old regulator out (being all proud and all) and once I began installing the replacement, I put the bolts into their new home and realized that the nuts failed to join them at the store. Woah is me, another trip out, fortunately a relative was visiting and offered to take me instead of piecing the outer panel back together with day light soon coming to an end.

Onto the good stuff. First, a little side note on the spanner for the sash nut. When I removed the old regulator, I left the window in place. I pried (carefully I might add) the actuator from the window support on each side. This left the nylon sliders (I can't think of the technical name off the top of my head) in place.

I did try the brake piston tool at first, but it was too big, so i opted for the above.

The plus side to this is you don't have to remove the window, nor do you have to worry about the sash nut. Just realign everything once you have the new regulator in place and use a good set of pliers to pop the nipples from the new regulator into the sliders on the window support.

To keep the window in the up position, either push it up as far as it will go, or use a 2X4 to support it while your getting the new regulator in.

Works like a charm, saved me at least 25+ minutes of screwing with the sash nuts and pulling the window out.

Hope this helps to relieve a few headaches. :-)

-Combat Medic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Combat Medic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Combat Medic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
bradley547
bradley547 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1

I just finished this repair on my SL1 and I have to say this thread was very helpful.
I'd like to mention that an easy way to keep the window up is to use a strip of duct tape up the side of the window covering the rear edge and the window frame. Holds it up just fine and you don't have to worry about knocking your support out of place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bradley547's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bradley547 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bradley547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #13
Jeremy21
Jeremy21 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

Just fixed a window regulator problem, found a very good "how to", with pic's and all. Solved the problem thanks to this guide.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t735283...ws_replacement

Good job or what?

Hope this will be handy one day,
Jer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeremy21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeremy21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeremy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

Thanks again guys....I just did my first window regulator change and went well.

A few tips from my experience on the 94 SL1.

After removing the inner and outer panels.....

Firstly...you need a good center punch, very good drill bits with a long shaft.

The rivets were the hardest part until I got these tools together. I used a spring loaded center punch...get it exactly centered or it becomes more difficult to get them drilled out. I started with a small pilot hole and then followed by a larger bit.

There is a lot of discussion about removing the unique nuts bolting the window glass to the slider rail. One post suggested prying the nylon wheels out of the slider as an option.

I didnt have the special tool. Prying the wheels out didnt seem to be working well. Check this out.....If you look at the slider rail, the ends have been slightly crimped on each end of the top and bottom of the retaining rails creating a little tip I guess to keep the wheels from running out. However the wheels never really come close to doing that if the window is properly installed and tracking.

I used a hefty screwdriver and 1/2" chisel as a pry tool to carefully reach in and pry the little crimped tab upward and downward to open the track on the front/forward end of the rail. Be very careful and pay attention not to put pressure on the glass, use the inside of the track itself as a prying point. The metal is soft and the tabs moved easily out of the way.

Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the lower smaller rail and massage it out of its mounting postion by sliding it forward...pullout the opposite end and then slide it backwards...comes right out.

center punch and drill the four rivets, pry out the little rivet wings remaining and loosen the assembly. With the window up...you will see an opening or two in the door body aligned with the small structural support bar, I used the rubber handle of a hammer and these support points to chock the window into a stationary up position letting it rest on the handle. Then carefully massage the entire assembly out as you allow the scissor mechanism and wheels to run out the newly opened rail end.....piece of cake.

I went to the parts car...followed the same removal procedure with ease.

I thoroughly cleaned all the old hardened crud off the replacement and relubed everything...all friction points and the rail slides.

The installation is reversed using 4-1/2"x1/4" diameter bolts and nylon lock nuts to secure the replacement regulator..I didnt need washers.

The replacement regulator wheels easily inserted into the opened end of the rail, everything lined up and bolted up perfectly.

I checked to make sure I didnt need to recrimp the slides and really saw no point in it since the wheels never really get that close to the ends of the rail at either full up or down.

Installed the inner door panel first so the lock and handle rods are easiliy accessible. I used a light oil on all the rod connections and plastic retainer/sliders, checked to make sure everything worked right...then reinstalled the outer skin...then the mirror.

The FSM says to use locktite on the skin bolts and to use a special sequence when installing/tightening the door skin.

Works great....smooth and easy, rolls up and down like a new one.

thanks for the tips...please click me a rep point if this helped
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/rep....php?p=1461794

Last edited by kaptnjack; 06-05-2009 at 11:26 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

Alrighty now.
On my 95 SL2 this is what I did.

first off remove the mirror
unscrew one screw holding the plastic
carefully pull it back loosen set screw with small allen wrench, push adjuster out of plastic housing.
Pull back foam to reveal mirror bolts remove mirror.
Take off Mirror plastic paint guard on door panel now or you will loose it. (small thin plastic strip)

remove door handle by only ONE PIN. this pin has two parts a central plastic pin and an outer retainer pin. This pin is located on bottom of colored door handle. Push the inner pin all the way in till it falls into the inner handle. Now take a small screw driver and pry and pull outer pin off handle.
slide handle towards back or front of car 1/4 inch to remove it. If you look at it you will see what I mean. I dont remember now.

Remove outer door panel before inner door panel (you will see why )
take off al 6 torx bolts
Door panel will be loose all the way around bottoms and side and is now held at the top. It will want to fight you. Whack door panel up at bottom with your hand and wiggle and pull and it lifts off door frame.

Next remove inner panel
pry electric window switch off bracket and remove from wire.
unscrew the 2 screws holding the cup handle, the screw holding the door latch.
Goto the outside of door and slide plastic door rod clips clear of inner handle.
(you might be able to get these clips loose but with no access to backside, you will have extremely hard time putting this together without the outer door skin removed)
Pull handle off inner door.
Pull and pry inner door panel free.

Now on replacing the regulator, you dont need to remove the special weird nut holding the glass.
YOU CAN simply take a screw driver and bend back the pinched track at the front with a screwdriver and then slide and whack tap the regulator out of the window track.
A black plastic inner guide that fits in the window track may come free with this. Just note how it goes back in.
When you put it back together, slightly pinch the end shut to secure this piece from sliding out when the window goes up and down.

The regulator on mine was fatigue cracked. I drilled out the rivets holding the motor on. Took my torch and brazed the pieces back together.
The reason it failed is it is cheap stamped thin gauge steel. On my old 1962 Buick, these parts are at least twice the thickness! And they never cracked. The motors would wear out. And you could replace the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

I want to add this, the outer panel at the top is simply keyed by a round plastic protrusion into the upper metal door frame. I managed to break mine off. The plastic knobby thing is sticking out at right angles to the panel, so it should simply pull free meaning you dont need to push up on it. Mine was stuck on. All this does is help you line up the outer panel. you can still do this without the "plastic peg".

I managed to repair my old regulator, the bolts to reattach the motor are 3 1/4 by 1 inch long and use locking nuts. One of the bolt heads will have to be ground down a lot to fit under the driven gear arm.

The black plastic piece inside the window channel where the regulator arm fits into is a spacer that goes between the regulator plastic swivel guides. So start the rear arm first then push in the plastic piece then put the front arm into the channel. You dont need to squeeze pinch down the channel at the end. Just simply leave it as you pried it open before when you removed the regulator.

My regulator was cracked in 3 places but my torch brazed it all together good as new.

If you go my route, study the regulator spring arrangement so you will know how to put it all together again. basically you can put the spring on loose and turn the motor mount part to wind up the spring. At a certain point you will have to put the trailing center guide swivel back into its channel and your ground down motor mount bolt will have to be in its mount hole before you put the spring back in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #17
AquaRegia
AquaRegia is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Holy cow.

I just had to do this on my wife's car, and I hope I never have to do it for my Saturn - it sounds like a nightmare.

While fighting with the dead power window motor/regulator, I had what I think is a fantastic idea: instead of an electric motor, why not have a simple crank that you could turn by hand to raise and lower your windows? It would be much less likely to break, be easier to fix if it does, save gas (every little bit helps!), and give people a bit more much-needed exercise.

I wonder why no one else has ever thought of it - maybe I can patent the idea.

On my 3rd SL2, looking for my 2nd SW2!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AquaRegia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AquaRegia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AquaRegia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #18
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Roll Eyes Re: Window Regulator Replacement

The electric power windows with motors use a regulator to make sure the window rises and lowers evenly.

The manual windows with cranks use a regulator to make sure the window rises and lowers evenly.

It is the window regulator that usually fails, not the motor (or the crank).

Replacing the window regulator in a Saturn is easy because the outer door panel is simple to remove and simple to replace, so we have total access to the area. And since the panel is made of a plastic polymer, it is very lightweight.

I hope I never have to do it for my non-Saturn vehicles!

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
ema02
ema02 is on a distinguished road

Hello!

I have here a site for window regulator with motor replacement. I think it would be a good addition to this very helpful thread. Imagine, this thread has been relived and relived again for almost four years!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ema02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ema02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ema02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
jollymoon
jollymoon is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1

Quote:

sdowney717

"If you go my route, study the regulator spring arrangement so you will know how to put it all together again. basically you can put the spring on loose and turn the motor mount part to wind up the spring. At a certain point you will have to put the trailing center guide swivel back into its channel and your ground down motor mount bolt will have to be in its mount hole before you put the spring back in."
I know this post is over a year old, but the information here saved me about $300 to replace an electric motor. I used a combination of just about all of the posts...and triple thanks to the authors.

However.... I can't get the spring back in. I have no idea how it goes into the "slot". How do you "put it on loose and turn the motor mount part to wind up the spring"?????

I will also try a message to sdowney717 to get some help or hopefully a picture??

Last edited by jollymoon; 04-20-2010 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: change

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jollymoon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jollymoon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jollymoon is offline   Reply With Quote