SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 08-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
rayw1199
rayw1199 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Class Action Lawsuit

I wonder if enough people have the timing chain problem if a classaction suit will be brought against GM.

GM Piston Slap Case May Become A Class Action

August 15, 2005

Federal Judge Joseph Heaton is expected to decide in the next 30 days whether to grant class action status to lawsuits filed a year ago alleging that General Motors sold defective engines in 800,000 1999-2002 pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles.

The plaintiffs complain of piston slap, a loud noise caused when a piston knocks against the side of the engine cylinder because the clearance between the piston and cylinder is too wide.

The case involves seven V-8 engines installed in pickup trucks and SUVs between 1999 and 2002 with displacements ranging from 3.1 liters to 8.1 liters.

Owners also complain the vehicles use an excessive amount of fuel, and that resale value is adversely affected. In addition to damages, they are asking GM to replace the engines or buy back the vehicles, claiming the automaker knew about the problem before the vehicles were sold and did not inform consumers.

As many consumers are discovering, piston slap can lower the trade-in value of a vehicle by $4,000 to $6,000.

While Judge Heaton ponders whether or not to grant class action status to the piston slap case, complaints from consumers stuck with the GM trucks continue to arrive at ConsummerAffairs.Com.

"I asked the service representative about my truck making the so-called piston slap. He smiled and said that it was a normal sound on some trucks," said Robert of Birney, Minnesota. "He went on to say that he had heard that if you switch to the synthetic oil that it will take care of the problem."

"On the next oil change I switched to synthetic oil. The noise is getting louder."

"I have one of these noisy trucks ... and I get the same answer: 'it is normal for a truck to sound like that,'" said Cherrell of New Iberia, Louisiana.

Lawrence of Hartsdale, New York has a 2000 GMC Yukon with 115,000 miles on it making the piston slapping noise.

"I am told the engine has to be replaced. This noise has gone on for some time. GM denied knowledge of any such problem," he said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rayw1199's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rayw1199 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rayw1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Lafarga
Lafarga is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Class Action Lawsuit

800,000 engines is alot more then the 20-ish timing belt issues that have been posted about on the board. I don't think a class action law suit would really work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lafarga's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lafarga reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lafarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

If they didnt start one for the loud lifters on ALL of the 4cly Dodge engines made from 1980-1995 I do not think they would even consiter it for this......damn those dodge cars were loud...I drove one for 10 years....every one wondered how I got a diesel in it

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
wrg813
wrg813 is on a distinguished road

And this affects saturns how? Shouldn't this be posted in the off topic/other vehicles without the first paragraph?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrg813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrg813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wrg813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

I think people need to live with the fact that machines arent perfect. If they cant handle it buy a new pair of nikes and find a reason to sue them
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
jessy0780
jessy0780 is on a distinguished road

I know there are a couple of people who are looking into filing lawsuits. Just because it's only that many on this website, doesn't mean that's the only people who have had this problem. Looks to me like this problem is getting more and more common. I don't want to sue Saturn, but it does make me very angry that this is caused by a timing chain kit that they put out a TSB on to upgrade. Obviously they knew that it was a potential problem, and let people drive around with it anyway. Not to mention the fact that I had to pay over $2000 out of my pocket to get it fixed. If I had known about the possiblity of this happening, I would have gotten the upgrade and saved myself the time, money and frustration. Unfortunately, I wasn't given the chance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessy0780's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessy0780 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessy0780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
wrg813
wrg813 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780
I know there are a couple of people who are looking into filing lawsuits. Just because it's only that many on this website, doesn't mean that's the only people who have had this problem. Looks to me like this problem is getting more and more common. I don't want to sue Saturn, but it does make me very angry that this is caused by a timing chain kit that they put out a TSB on to upgrade. Obviously they knew that it was a potential problem, and let people drive around with it anyway. Not to mention the fact that I had to pay over $2000 out of my pocket to get it fixed. If I had known about the possiblity of this happening, I would have gotten the upgrade and saved myself the time, money and frustration. Unfortunately, I wasn't given the chance.
I certainly understand the frustration associated with mechanical breakdowns. However, there seems to be some confusion on a "TSB" people keep mentioning. I have found no "TSB" on L series timing chains(meaning a specific symptom and repair recommendation). The service manual update I have seen is merely a revision of procedure for a redesigned part. These are issued all the time as parts are redesigned. Without these updates, there would be alot of confusion when trying to install a redesigned part using an outdated procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrg813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrg813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wrg813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Hey, it could be worse. Honda refused to pay one cent for CR-Vs destroyed by fire, you either had to eat the cost, have your dealership pay for the replacement, or go through insurance.
<------

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780
I don't want to sue Saturn, but it does make me very angry that this is caused by a timing chain kit that they put out a TSB on to upgrade. Obviously they knew that it was a potential problem, and let people drive around with it anyway.
Saturn knows NOW that it's a problem, but they didn't know at the time they were producing the engines. If Saturn knew about the problem but continued to allow defective engines to be produced, it would be a different story. But they made the engines in good faith, and I don't see how a lawsuit could be successful. Bad luck is different from negligence.

2002 L200
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

They're suing because of "loud engine nosie" and "piss-poor gas mileage"? It's a friggin truck, already.
Gimme a break.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote