SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2005, 07:31 AM   #21
Jldet5
Jldet5 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: HOW TO: 3.5 Auto Trans Fluid Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harleyson
Based on the color of my fluid at 32000...yeah thats BS! At least for those of us who tow trailers in TX in the summer. Just too hot for too many months a year.

The reasons for NOT doing a Full change out...Amsoil (and all quality synthetics for that matter) is fully compatable with regular oil and fluids. That has been the case for about 30 years or so. Rumor has it that Honda DOES NOT recomend a power flush on this trans. I have been told two different stories by two different Honda dealers. One said power flushing was OK but they didn't have a machine. The other said they do multiple fill and drains to "get as close as they can". Posts here and on Honda boards seem to indicate that the trans. is kind of "the weakest link" so I decided NOT to pump out the old fluid by running the engine with the cooler line undone. Just a bit too risky on the Honda I decided. So...I got about 40% of the old fluid out on this change, I'll be at about 60% next time, close to 85% the time after that, and so forth. Is it a perfect method? No. But, at 100000 miles I will have changed the fluid 4 times and be running virtually all synthetic fluid.
Thanks! Makes sense. You should have some pretty clean fluid changing it that much. I hate to have to wait until 4 changes to get over 85% but I'm not looking forward to messing with cooler lines. What is the risk of using the cooler line method? Getting air in the system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jldet5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jldet5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jldet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #22
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jldet5
Thanks! Makes sense. You should have some pretty clean fluid changing it that much. I hate to have to wait until 4 changes to get over 85% but I'm not looking forward to messing with cooler lines. What is the risk of using the cooler line method? Getting air in the system?

Not so much air in the lines, but the thought (fear) of the pump sucking air and scoring itself and loosing pressure over time. I work for a hydraulic engineering co. and we see dammaged gear, vane, and gerotor pumps all the time. The dammage occurs because they suck air, or the fluid is allowed to get too hot. Not knowing exactly what kind of pump this auto has, I decided to play it safe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David Harleyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #23
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harleyson
Not so much air in the lines, but the thought (fear) of the pump sucking air and scoring itself and loosing pressure over time. I work for a hydraulic engineering co. and we see dammaged gear, vane, and gerotor pumps all the time. The dammage occurs because they suck air, or the fluid is allowed to get too hot. Not knowing exactly what kind of pump this auto has, I decided to play it safe.
I'm gonna go with the multi changes based on your recommendation. Just not worth the risk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jldet5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #24
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Changed the trans fluid on my 3.5 VUE but its not clear on the dip stick where the level should be. Manual says cross hatch area but that doesn't exist. There is a bend in the stick so I'm assuming as long as its below the bend thats where is belongs?

My current level is below the bend but above the two holes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2005, 05:48 PM   #25
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jldet5
Changed the trans fluid on my 3.5 VUE but its not clear on the dip stick where the level should be. Manual says cross hatch area but that doesn't exist. There is a bend in the stick so I'm assuming as long as its below the bend thats where is belongs?

My current level is below the bend but above the two holes.
Finally found an illustration elsewhere that it should between the two holes. Wondered about that but the holes are pretty darn close together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #26
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

I'm surprised at how much metal I got off the magnetic plug when I changed the oil. The fluid looked a bit dark so I'm glad I changed it. Starting to think I should have changed it earlier than 29,000.

I had a hard time getting the level check done right. One tip I got from the service manual I bought was to turn off the engine before the check. I thought that was odd as I always checked with the engine on but I did get a cleaner and easier read. The check has to be done immediately after turning off the engine or the fluid will rise after a while from the converter draining a bit.

Another problem I had was running the car too much...ideling raised the temp and fluid level. Not sure what the trick to that is except to check the level after a normal trip for a final check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #27
wbloomfield
wbloomfield is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: VUE 3.5L Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

I tried to use your suggestions on changing the trans. fluid. Its a good thing that before I went out and bought the supplies need, that I double checked to see if 3/8 inch fuel line hose would work on the dip stick.. It didn't. I tried even scoring the inside end of the hose, put oil on it too, so it would slip on. No luck!! I am going to get something a little bigger and try it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wbloomfield's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wbloomfield reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #28
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: VUE 3.5L Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbloomfield
I tried to use your suggestions on changing the trans. fluid. Its a good thing that before I went out and bought the supplies need, that I double checked to see if 3/8 inch fuel line hose would work on the dip stick.. It didn't. I tried even scoring the inside end of the hose, put oil on it too, so it would slip on. No luck!! I am going to get something a little bigger and try it...
I just removed the fill cap and used the basic walmart transmission fill tube with on/off twist. Worked great though I do admit it was slightly harder to get to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #29
wbloomfield

Thought I would update you on my ordeel... Yes, how come it always works out like this. Got the problem of getting the fuid in solved but now a new problem. I broke my ratchet trying to loosen the bolt. The bolt is torked on there pretty good. I bought a new ratchet and will try again tomorrow when the trans. is cold. I might also put on some penitrating oil too beforehand. Any other ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wbloomfield reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #30
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thought I would update you on my ordeel... Yes, how come it always works out like this. Got the problem of getting the fuid in solved but now a new problem. I broke my ratchet trying to loosen the bolt. The bolt is torked on there pretty good. I bought a new ratchet and will try again tomorrow when the trans. is cold. I might also put on some penitrating oil too beforehand. Any other ideas?
Hi,

Are you talking about the drain bolt or the fill cap? Penetrating oil will not help. It was on pretty tight though.

Are you sure your turning the right way? Counter clockwise...pushing towards the back of the car from the front.

Also, I used my leg with constant pressure while holding onto the underside of the car.

Getting loose while cold sounds like a good idea. I seem to recall that is how your suppose to do spark plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2005, 09:45 PM   #31
wbloomfield

Well, after trying for an additional hour, I just gave up. I have owned Honda's before and they all have been difficult to loosen the first time. This one is the hardest of them all. I even tried using a pipe(long)over my ratchet handle to give me extra leverage with no success. I am now affraid that the threads of the bolt might be stripped if I try to be more forsefull with it. I will wait until I get the dealer to change(flush)it for me. I will just have to suck it up and pay the $150.00 price!! Anyways, thanks for the suggestions.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #32
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Well, after trying for an additional hour, I just gave up. I have owned Honda's before and they all have been difficult to loosen the first time. This one is the hardest of them all. I even tried using a pipe(long)over my ratchet handle to give me extra leverage with no success. I am now affraid that the threads of the bolt might be stripped if I try to be more forsefull with it. I will wait until I get the dealer to change(flush)it for me. I will just have to suck it up and pay the $150.00 price!! Anyways, thanks for the suggestions.....
If you park the car on cement, no jacking,
and put a quality metric socket that fits tight,
and place the ratchet at a angle towards the front just a couple of inches off the cement,
and put your foot on the ratchet while holding onto the front underside,
and slowly build pressure pushing towards the rear,
it will pop no problem.

I also did this while the trans was warm, not that it probably matters. I easily used 100 foot lbs. Pun intended!

Just be sure your on the drain bolt and not a case bolt. I seem to recall the case bolts were different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #33
wbloomfield

I might try again.... It's the drain bolt. I have owned 2 Hondas and 1 Acura before. All of them were difficult but this one takes the cake!! The rachet fits directly in the bolt. Thanks for the suggestion..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #34
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I might try again.... It's the drain bolt. I have owned 2 Hondas and 1 Acura before. All of them were difficult but this one takes the cake!! The rachet fits directly in the bolt. Thanks for the suggestion..
Thats right. I forgot about the 3/8 drive fitting in and no need for a socket. How easily I forget the small details! Anyways, it did make quite the pop noise when it let loose. Not doubt it was tight. Not sure if it should be a warm or cold trans at this point. Spark plugs with aluminum heads were always suppose to be taken out cold as I recall. Not sure if the same applies here but I did mine when the trans was slightly warm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #35
wbloomfield

Thumbs Up Re: VUE 3.5L Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Sorry for me delay in updating you on how my trans. fluid change went. The only time I am able to work on my Vue is during the weekend. Today, I am proud to say, I was able to get my oil bolt loose and preformed a successful trans. oil change. Thanks for your suggestion on how to get it loose. It worked like a charm. It still was the toughest Honda bolt(trans.)that I have ever removed before. It took me about 10 minutes to free that thing up. Anyways, the next time will be a lot easier.

FYI I drained just shy of 5 Quarts of fluid. Honda fluid went in meeting the Z-1 requirements. Paid $4.25/quart at the Honda dealer. Saturn wanted $5.50/quart. They did not even know it was a Honda trans. Figures, I still wonder where this great Saturn service is......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #36
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Sorry for me delay in updating you on how my trans. fluid change went. The only time I am able to work on my Vue is during the weekend. Today, I am proud to say, I was able to get my oil bolt loose and preformed a successful trans. oil change. Thanks for your suggestion on how to get it loose. It worked like a charm. It still was the toughest Honda bolt(trans.)that I have ever removed before. It took me about 10 minutes to free that thing up. Anyways, the next time will be a lot easier.

FYI I drained just shy of 5 Quarts of fluid. Honda fluid went in meeting the Z-1 requirements. Paid $4.25/quart at the Honda dealer. Saturn wanted $5.50/quart. They did not even know it was a Honda trans. Figures, I still wonder where this great Saturn service is......
Glad you were able to work it out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #37
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

My trans is draining as I type this. One trick I found for us K&N Intake owners...

Use the rubber vent tube from your 77 series intake as a fill tube for your transmission! I'm about to go outside and do that, and I can attach my funnel+hose to the tube also.

I have some old syntec bottles laying around. I'm going to use them to measure how much fluid came out. I have 5 quarts of Z1 waiting!

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #38
pachucoboyx
pachucoboyx is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

ok, for some strange reason i found this article wanting to find info on how to check the transmission fluid on a '04 Saturn Ion. I have read all this and gone outside to see if I can find the dipstick for the transmission fluid in the spots mentioned, and I cant find anything, i feel like an idiot now. I'll keep searching for that dipstick, but in the meantime, does anyone have a picture of where i might be able to find the dipstick for the transmission? the only one i can find is the yellow one that goes to the motor oil. on my '97 SC1 it was a red dipstick, and i was hoping it would be the same color on the Ion, but no luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pachucoboyx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pachucoboyx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pachucoboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #39
HomeBase
HomeBase is on a distinguished road

Has anyone used the Amsoil ATF fluid in your Vue? It's Z1 rated now. Just wondering if performance is any better than the standard Honda or Saturn bottled Z1 product.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HomeBase's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HomeBase reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HomeBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:15 PM   #40
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBase
Has anyone used the Amsoil ATF fluid in your Vue? It's Z1 rated now. Just wondering if performance is any better than the standard Honda or Saturn bottled Z1 product.
Yes, I don't think you'll notice an immediate difference. Won't know for sure until I change it a few more times and see if the color stays like new or ages like the stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!