SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
phealy
phealy is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 Ion w/MP3 6-disc Changer - Aux Inputs

I asked about this a while ago, and was told that a Peripherals PXGM24 adapter would add two aux inputs to my radio. Given how much I want this, I was eager to do it, and got the parts ordered. Today I take the radio out to plug in the adapter... and it doesn't fit! Argh! After calling Peripheral/AAMP, I discovered that the adapter is made for a Class 2 Databus system, while my car has a "LAN system". Guess I need to do more research next time.

Anyway, the real question is this: does anyone know of an adapter or method to add aux inputs to my radio? I really would prefer not to replace the stock system, but I'd really like the aux ins.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phealy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phealy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phealy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2005 Ion w/MP3 6-disc Changer - Aux Inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phealy
I asked about this a while ago, and was told that a Peripherals PXGM24 adapter would add two aux inputs to my radio. Given how much I want this, I was eager to do it, and got the parts ordered. Today I take the radio out to plug in the adapter... and it doesn't fit! Argh! After calling Peripheral/AAMP, I discovered that the adapter is made for a Class 2 Databus system, while my car has a "LAN system". Guess I need to do more research next time.

Anyway, the real question is this: does anyone know of an adapter or method to add aux inputs to my radio? I really would prefer not to replace the stock system, but I'd really like the aux ins.
To the best of my knowledge, ther's no ESAY way to do it. I have head someone was successful using the C2 connector on the Onstar version of the radio and using the OnStar remote audio inputs somehow, but I've never pursued it myself. Another option might be upgrading to the 2006 radio which has an regular 3.5mm Auxiliary jack socket that will allow playback of audio signals from remote devices (e.g., portable tape player, IPOD, MP3 playback device, etc.)
HTH
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
delivery man
Advanced Member
delivery man is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I tried the same adapter and it would not work. I finally just took out my 6 disc changer and went with an aftermarket Sony with an aux input. I have been very happy with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delivery man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delivery man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delivery man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
ygor
ygor is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-3
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I just had the same disappointing result with my new Relay -- after the news from a few months back that GM was going to start putting aux-input plugs on the face of the factory head units AND THEN finding out that it was only on the Ion for now.

I tried to research it and could find very little on the GM-LAN and how to "play nice" with it. I suspect it is too new for any third party folks to have done anything with it.

Personlly, I plan to be patient. I got a well-reviewed FM transmitter unit for my iPod (DLO's TransPod FM). If we all make polite and persistant requests and inquirys, either GM or a third party hardware vendor will produce a solution.

Good lick to all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ygor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ygor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

There are no options for an aux input. Does anyone know if the 06 radios will fit in an 04-05?

2008 BMW 328i
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
ygor

2005 RELAY-3
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I may have an answer, but I am still researching. Stand by !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ygor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ygor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygor
I may have an answer, but I am still researching. Stand by !!
If you're thinking of the OnStar audio input...unfortunately it's only a single channel (left)
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
ygor

2005 RELAY-3
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour
If you're thinking of the OnStar audio input...unfortunately it's only a single channel (left)
WOT
Close, but no cigar. My solution uses the XM radio connection. I do not have the XM radio, but I am told this solution will even work if you do have XM (but it requires additional hardware)

Stay tuned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ygor's Reputation
Old 11-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

The relay radio is not GMLan but class 2. Its old school like the van its based off of
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygor
Close, but no cigar. My solution uses the XM radio connection. I do not have the XM radio, but I am told this solution will even work if you do have XM (but it requires additional hardware)

Stay tuned.
ygor, did you ever manage o make this work using the line level inputs on the XM connector??
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #11
ygor

2005 RELAY-3
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I have an appointment with my Saturn Dealer to get it installed next Saturday. According to directions, you need to tap into power from somewhere. I'd rather that was done by someone who knows how -- not me !!

Stay tuned. I'll let y'all know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ygor's Reputation
Old 12-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #12
phealy
phealy is on a distinguished road

Any news, ygor? I'm still interested in this, even though I'm considering rigging something up aftermarket in the future. I've got no need for it right now.

Edit: Any need for the aftermarket, that is. I'm getting sick of my FM modulator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phealy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phealy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #13
ygor

2005 RELAY-3
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

OK. The box in question does NOT work. If you have XM Radio, there is still hope, but without XM Radio, forget it.

I have an extra one I got from eBay for $20. Anyone want it ? Asking $20 plus your choice of shipping cost with receipt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ygor's Reputation