SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
JEG510
JEG510 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Default is this the sign of a bad alternator?

Driving home from work, I hop in my car and go to target. Simple. Then I get in traffic, and the car completely DIES for about a second, I see all the idiot lights come on like the car was just started (you know, check engine, SES, airbag, and they all turn off. But then I noticed my clock light is fluxuating really badly. Anyhow, the car dies and restarts itself one more time on the way home. I think "ok, this has to be an alternator going out." but I do one more test. I park the car and pull the e-brake at home, and then I turn on the car lights, and the RPM's drop and everything is really very dim.

Is this an alternator going out? I don't wanna deal with doing it myself, so I will go to the shop. Hopefully it isn't more then $300 to fix.

Any ideas?

John

Well, all I can say is "Hakuna Matata!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JEG510's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JEG510 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JEG510 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
justin_zink
justin_zink is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Re: is this the sign of a bad alternator?

Test the output voltage. I'm not sure what is acceptible but its probly about 13-15 volts. also check and make sure the battery connection is tight and uncoroded. If the altonator is fluctuating in the voltage alot then you might just need to get a voltage regulator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justin_zink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justin_zink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justin_zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
pilon
pilon is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

To Test an Alternator;
- measure battery voltage with engine at normal idle, all electrical loads turned off, and
- measure battery voltage with engine above 2,000rpm, with all electrical loads on.
In each case the voltage should be ~14.5v. If it is less than ~13.0v the alternator is no longer charging the battery. This is either a loose connector, or bad alternator in need of replacement. You can't buy a separate voltage regulator as it is intergral to the alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pilon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pilon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Sounds pretty good so far for a bad alternator.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Have it checked out at Pep Boys. Think there is one not far from you. If it is either altenator or battery, they got it & should be able to install for a reasonable price.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
sdward
sdward is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

One other simple check before you spend big money is to make is to make sure the GROUND cable & connection from the negative side of the battery is good. I had a car do the same thing one time and the ground cable was loose at the engine ground connector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdward's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdward reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
JEG510

1997 SL

Pretty sure its the alternator. I turned on the lights on the car, and they are as bright as ever. But as soon as I TRY to start the car, it'll start, run for about a minute, and as soon as I pop the lights on. BAM! Dead car. I don't think it's trying to run off the battery at all. Or since the alternator is gone, it's pretty much drained the battery of all available juice while it was running. The funny thing is, if I let the car sit about a minute, turn on the lights, turn them off, and then try to start the car, it'll do the same thing, all over again. So I am pretty sure its the alt. not doing its job.

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JEG510 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:57 AM   #8
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Sounds like the alternator to me. The battery has enough juice to keep the lights on nice and bright but not enough umphf left in it to run an engine

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

Save yourself a lot of guessing and just have the alternator checked out. Simple process. Then, if the Pep Boys wants $300 to replace, think about doing it yourself and save at least half that amount. There's a detailed write-up in the "How To" section on how to do the job. I did it and it was simple, even for me with zero experience. Good luck,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
Save yourself a lot of guessing and just have the alternator checked out. Simple process. Then, if the Pep Boys wants $300 to replace, think about doing it yourself and save at least half that amount. There's a detailed write-up in the "How To" section on how to do the job. I did it and it was simple, even for me with zero experience. Good luck,

Jerry
Make sure you get a quality BOSCH Alternator, they are very good, and they have road side assistance, so in case this happnes again, they cover fee's

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #11
JEG510

1997 SL

Tomarrow she goes in the shop. It's going to cost me $280 and I am getting a BOSCH installed. Since I don't have jack stands or a floor jack, and it would cost me well over $100 for the tools, I am just going to have it done, and warrentied.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:55 AM   #12
dansl2
Advanced Member

2000 SL2

What kind of tools are you talking about? Don't think any are specialized for that job. Even if you don't do the R & R yourself, you probably should pick up a good set of work tools, ALWAYS good to have around just in case.
BTW, do you have a shop around here that you trust?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #13
JEG510

1997 SL

yeah, San Lorenzo Auto Repair on the corner of Grant Ave. and Channel St. in San Lorenzo, across from Arroyo High. Been doing work on my familys cars for years. And I know I should have the tools, but seeing as how I rent, I dont have room to store all that.

Later.

Oh, and when I dropped off my car (at 7:45 this morning) I let it run a minute when it got to the shop. As soon as I hit the brake, all the dummy lights came on for a second, and I hear a really loud rumble from by where the alternator is too. Maybe that is it.

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
poorboy
poorboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

May want to put a trickle charge on the battery or get a new battery. Todays alternators are not to be used to recharge a weak or dead battery.

94 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poorboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poorboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

^^^ Yeah, what he said. ^^^ Plus, the trickle charge puts the battery in a better charge state than the alternator would.

BTW, rather than a jack & stands, if you're not removing a wheel, you're better off with ramps. Easier, faster, safer, more stable. But I hear ya wrt. the space issue. I spent years as a renter, trying to score space for tools, ramps, jacks, etc. If by chance you live in a cool neighborhood, maybe you could start (or maybe there already exists) a "cooperative" among renting neighbors, to cost-share on tools and the space to store them. A lot of small groups do this with things like office equipment (copiers, fax, etc.). Oh, and a lot of the big parts chains (AutoZone, Checker, etc.) lend tools for free (with a deposit), but I dunno if they have anything as major as ramps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #16
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

You're right about the ramps being safer for most jobs, but the passenger side wheel is going to have to be off to get the alternator out. At least that's the easiest way to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #17
JEG510

1997 SL

Ok, more information now. I just can say "HUH!?!?" Because I went to my shop this morning, and the guys there tested the alternator and battery. They said everything was in tip top shape. Wha?! And so no charge there (price wise) and so I have been driving the car most of the day and no issues at all. No pulsing lights, no stalls or cut outs. Huh?? What happened here? I asked the boys if they charged my battery and they were like "um, nope! We just tested the system to see if everything was ok." So I just thanked them and slipped them a $5 each (2 guys did the work) for their time and went about my way. Should I be wary for this? Lemme know!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #18
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG510
Ok, more information now. I just can say "HUH!?!?" Because I went to my shop this morning, and the guys there tested the alternator and battery. They said everything was in tip top shape. Wha?! And so no charge there (price wise) and so I have been driving the car most of the day and no issues at all. No pulsing lights, no stalls or cut outs. Huh?? What happened here? I asked the boys if they charged my battery and they were like "um, nope! We just tested the system to see if everything was ok." So I just thanked them and slipped them a $5 each (2 guys did the work) for their time and went about my way. Should I be wary for this? Lemme know!
seriosuly you believe them? thats like listening to canadian tire.... ouch...

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #19
dansl2
Advanced Member

2000 SL2

I guess it's POSSIBLE that a cable or connection was loose, or gummed up & when they tested, they knocked off the gunk & formed a better connection. That could explain it, I'd go over your battery cables REALLY carefully & look for corrosion, both at battery & altenator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #20
JEG510

1997 SL

Well she's been runnin good even more so, now. Although I now know I need to get a new PS pump sometimes in the near future. I let the car sit with all the accessories on, and a/c and let it idle for 10 minutes. Hopped in, and we were off. Had this been yesterday, as soon as I would have touched the brake pedel, well, dead in the water we would have been. Oh, and my battery needed a little water (distilled) so I added a bit, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!