SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
makavelif50
makavelif50 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Wrench Rear Disc Brake Conversion

hi there im really interested in doing a disk brake conversion on my 99 SL2. i have a disk conversion kit. i just have a few questions is it worth it? is there a noticeable different in braking? also is it a difficult conversion to do? i mean ive read instructions on how to do it but its also a lot different when you really rip in to it. and since ive never done anything like this before i was just wondering if i can get through this job without any major problems. when i change out the brake lines is brake fluid going to be pouring out? sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure that i understand what im doing before im knee deep in crap. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to makavelif50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help makavelif50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion

I never even changed the lines. Yes, its easy to do. Yes, there is a noticeable difference, not in power, but in feel and consistency.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
makavelif50

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin
I never even changed the lines. Yes, its easy to do. Yes, there is a noticeable difference, not in power, but in feel and consistency.
oh really you dont have to change the lines? the old ones will work fine? what do you mean by power? stopping power?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help makavelif50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
ProDarwin
Master Member

yes, stopping power. Actually, the initial clamping force is usually higher on drums, meaning they will be easier to lock up. The discs have a solid feel, especially during repeated higher speed stops.

Yes, I used the lines from the drums. They work just fine, and I still cannot find a reason to switch them.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
makavelif50

1999 SL2

really? wow im kind of surprised to hear that theres no difference in stopping power. i thought that there would be a difference in stopping power thats kind of why i was thinking about doing this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Some say there is, but I've only read that it's a difference of 3 feet. Which 3 feet could keep your front bumper out of the trunk of the car in front of you.

For my car, I haven't justified the cost for the increase in stopping power. If after I start doing alot of lapping and the drums gets heat soaked, then I will probably consider it.

The drums also have a higher moment or interia, so theoretically, the rear disc equiped car should accelerate faster as well as slow down quicker.

Unsprung weight, it's probably pretty close. The knuckle for the rear disc car is pretty beefy. It probably has a slight edge though.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin
yes, stopping power. Actually, the initial clamping force is usually higher on drums, meaning they will be easier to lock up. The discs have a solid feel, especially during repeated higher speed stops.

Yes, I used the lines from the drums. They work just fine, and I still cannot find a reason to switch them.

i've been told that the drum lines are a hair shorter and could cause a problem during either full compression or rebound of your suspension. i have no idea if this is true or not, but it came from a source i trust...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
SL2Dreams
SL2Dreams is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1995 SW2

you can only stop as fast as your tires will let you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Dreams's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Dreams reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm

The drums also have a higher moment or interia, so theoretically, the rear disc equiped car should accelerate faster as well as slow down quicker.

--Tom
Studies have shown that drum equiped cars are actually faster in the 1/4 mile. In a disc braking system the pads never let come of the rotor, this causes extra drag. Properly setup drums fully retract.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Discs cool much more effectively than drums. Because of this they are better at repetitive use.

I didn't think the conversion made a huge change in my car untill I drove my wife's SL2 for about 3000 miles. As said before the discs feel much better. Braking seems to be more accurate. I also did SS lines when I did mine though, so some of that feeling could be coming from those. If you think you can swing the SS lines they are about $130 from tirerack. It ran me less than $75 for the rotors, pads, calipers, and E-brake cables, so I figured even with the SS lines it would be a little more than a third of what some of the kits out there can cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819
Studies have shown that drum equiped cars are actually faster in the 1/4 mile. In a disc braking system the pads never let come of the rotor, this causes extra drag. Properly setup drums fully retract.
Good to know!

Thanks
--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #12
makavelif50

1999 SL2

thanks guys for all the great info. and does anyone know how to install the e brake cables? do you have to pull up the console? i read this somewhere and wasnt too sure about it. are the e brake cables under the car. and well i think that disk brake system is a much better system then drums and id rather have disks all around i think just a lot easyer to deal with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #13
ShaunSL2
ShaunSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

If stopping power is what you're looking for, I'd suggest a big brake kit up front.

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/shaunsl2[/url]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShaunSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShaunSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #14
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

It still won't increase stopping power. Bigger brake just increase heat storage ablity. It makes it much harder to overheat your brakes, meaning they are less likely to fade. Pick up any magizine where they compare braking before and after a big brake upgrade. You will see that most times the upsized brakes never improve stopping distance. Many times you will fine braking distances increase; Of course the big brakes will be a lot better after then the stock ones in high heat, repeatitive braking.

Stopping power is only increased 3 ways.
Tires (allowing you to break harder before locking the car up)
Weight (either changing the balance or making the car lighter)
Brake balance (changing the percentages of braking force from the front or rear)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
makavelif50

1999 SL2

really is that so? i didnt know that. what about having better calipers? wouldnt that increase stopping power too? how can you change the brake balance on the car? it sounds like it would hard and difficult to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #16
ProDarwin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR
i've been told that the drum lines are a hair shorter and could cause a problem during either full compression or rebound of your suspension. i have no idea if this is true or not, but it came from a source i trust...

s3aturnr
They are longer as far as I can tell.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 AM   #17
emailer33
emailer33 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819
On a normal disc braking system, yes, that is true. But with GM's quick take up master cylinder, the piston is pulled farther into the caliper. This helps with fuel mileage. I think we have the quick take up master cylinders, so we probably don't have to worry about the drag.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emailer33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emailer33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:02 AM   #18
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by makavelif50
how can you change the brake balance on the car? it sounds like it would hard and difficult to do.
You'll need an adjustable brake proportioning valve. And yes, it is very difficult to do. You can easily make things worse by messing with it. The brake systems were designed pretty well on a Saturn S series. Better tires, better pads, good fluid and SS lines are really the only good improvements to be made on th car.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #19
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
really? wow im kind of surprised to hear that theres no difference in stopping power. i thought that there would be a difference in stopping power thats kind of why i was thinking about doing this.
the 1st cold stop might be the same, but when you're doing hot laps and need to be on the brakes over and over and over and over again, the rear discs cool down faster. the brake pedal feels more solid with rear discs compared to drums. i've done two rear disc conversions myself. the pedal is firmer with rear discs. with the rear drum there's some mush to the pedal. regarding using drum hoses on rear discs, i was told by a saturn brake engineer that there's a risk of the drum hoses popping off the rear discs under hyperextended rear suspension movement. the rear disc hoses have a metal section on the end that the drum hoses lack. oh yeah one way to change the brake bias is with brake pad compounds. one time i put higher mu (.49) pads on the rear discs than what i had on the front discs (.47). it worked ok most of the time but when the car was empty (spare tire and jack removed) and low on fuel, it wanted to lock the rears before the fronts under heavy braking. look in my gallery. there's a picture of tire smoke coming from the rear tires. D'oh! after that event I went back to NS187 pads on the rear.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

Last edited by eRic 02sc2; 08-11-2005 at 08:15 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #20
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Great tip on using pads for controlling Bias, Eric. But would your bias also change when the brakes start heating up?

Tom, I seem to remember the hardlines for the brakes being different sizes too. I would imagine that if you were going to reproportion your brakes you would want to run new hardlines.

emailer33, The disc drag isn't big enough to worry about. But there is more then with drums. Most people doing any kind of motorsport would be best served by discs and their cooling abilties despite the drag. I was just stating want I had seen in tests. I would still rather have discs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!