SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Information Jill Lajdziak on Saturn

For anyone interested, I posted the transcript of Jill Lajdziak's speech from last week's Traverse City Automotive Management Briefing Seminar. Its a great read with some very interesting facts!

http://www.saturnfans.com/Company/20...ersecity.shtml

Enjoy,
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Jill Lajdziak on Saturn

I hope we dont loose that personal touch at Spring Hill when things start to get mixed up with Saturns being built all over the country with Chevys and stuff.I know from personal experance how wonderful the folks at Spring Hill can be when I was having trouble with my vti back in 03 they took care of all my concerns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

That's all well and good, but unless they bring back the dent resistant panels, or something equal or better in terms of resiliency, and offer me a reliable, class leading car that isn't identical to a Chevy or Pontiac under the sheetmetal (or polymer!), I won't be buying into the marketing bs of the "new Saturn".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
BlkVue04
BlkVue04 is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: Jill Lajdziak on Saturn

I guess I just don't share the fascination and attraction of the polymer panels. Everyone has their own opinions and likes. But, if Saturn can build a reliable and durable car with a more upscale interior like the 06 Vue then I am happy. Some of the new designs like the Sky and the Aura really appeal to me, polymer of not. I think if we can still get good customer service and competetive pricing, Saturn will survive. Just my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlkVue04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlkVue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlkVue04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

After the last parking lot ding on my parents' brand new Honda Accord, I vow never to buy another new car until someone builds one with a body at least as durable as my Saturn's. I won't spend 20 grand or more on something that's going to look like crap after a few trips to the supermarket parking lot. And why should I have to, when my SL2 clearly illustrates that it's possible to build an affordable car that will look good for years?

Anyone who cares more about "panel gaps" than durability is an idiot, imo. My dent free 8 year old Saturn looks a lot better than it would with a ding filled metal body that had slightly smaller gaps between the panels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
NSAP
NSAP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHOKIE97SL2
After the last parking lot ding on my parents' brand new Honda Accord, I vow never to buy another new car until someone builds one with a body at least as durable as my Saturn's. I won't spend 20 grand or more on something that's going to look like crap after a few trips to the supermarket parking lot. And why should I have to, when my SL2 clearly illustrates that it's possible to build an affordable car that will look good for years?

Anyone who cares more about "panel gaps" than durability is an idiot, imo. My dent free 8 year old Saturn looks a lot better than it would with a ding filled metal body that had slightly smaller gaps between the panels.

Then you are going to have to drive your SL2 forever, becuase (to my knowledge) no car maker has dent resistant body panels. Saturn will loose them altogether by early 2008. The Vue will be the last Saturn with polymer panels.

There are two ways to look at it. You can have sheet-metal with tight body-gaps that makes the vehicle look well built, or you can have polymer panels with larger gaps- but no dents. It's really a toss-up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NSAP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NSAP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NSAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAP
Then you are going to have to drive your SL2 forever, becuase (to my knowledge) no car maker has dent resistant body panels.
What I'm saying is that if I can't buy a car that will hold up as well as my SL2, I'll buy a used steel bodied car. At least that way, it won't be as painful when it gets the inevitable dings. I'll still be annoyed, but it's a lot less annoying when you spend $10 grand or less for a car as opposed to $20,000+!

Quote:
There are two ways to look at it. You can have sheet-metal with tight body-gaps that makes the vehicle look well built, or you can have polymer panels with larger gaps- but no dents. It's really a toss-up.
It's not a toss-up to me. I'll take a body that still looks new for years over "tight body gaps" any day!

Saturn is obviously not what it once was, but it's a shame that they couldn't at least retain the polymer panels. The stuff I see now is unoriginal and could just as easily be sold with a Chevy badge. Heck, the Relay is a pure rebadge, and these new SUV's are nothing buy uninspired cookie-cutter clones. And with gas prices on the rise, a larger SUV now seems like a poorly timed move.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

VTHokie...

1) Have you seen these new SUV's (I figure you're talking about the Lambda's)? Up close? In person? And driven them? If no...quiet.

2) A larger SUV you call it. These are crossover vehicles in the vein of the Pacifica and Freestyle. Both of which are the size of a minivan. Have you seen the gas mileage figures for the Freestyle? It's very good, something like 20/27 with FWD and 19/26 with AWD. Gas prices may be on the rise but it doesn't mean the fuel consumption is. If it has an optional V8 it's likely to have cylinder deactivation. The base engine probably isn't going to be poor with fuel economy either.
Crossovers are a growing breed increasing in popularity. It's better to call it a crossover or we'll have people asking the same question every day..."i thought these weren't suvs, It's gonna be a gas guzzler, GM stinks."

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #9
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

All I heard were large vehicles. No mention of the ION at all. Looks like the future is going to be expensive, non polymer, and with not so good mileage. I wouldn't consider the green line as it is using new, unproven technology and GM/Saturn's track record isn't too hot on that. Also, it is only in the VUE, which is nothing I'd be in the market for anyway.

By the way, I can get a new 2005 Dodge Caravan for under 16k.
It gets 20 city 26 highway and can carry 146.7 cu ft of cargo.

Relay is 2 mpg less than the Caravan and 6 cu ft less cargo. All for $10k more.

The Vue gets 2 mpg better, but can only carry 64 cu ft of cargo.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:40 PM   #10
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
All I heard were large vehicles. No mention of the ION at all. Looks like the future is going to be expensive, non polymer, and with not so good mileage.
Exactly. Even with the Aura, they're emphasizing power and performance. 5 years ago, I thought my next car would be a midsize V-6 performance oriented sedan. Today, with gas prices likely to reach $3 per gallon near term and possibly twice that before too long, fuel economy is more important to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #11
NSAP

Quote:
All I heard were large vehicles. No mention of the ION at all. Looks like the future is going to be expensive, non polymer, and with not so good mileage. I wouldn't consider the green line as it is using new, unproven technology and GM/Saturn's track record isn't too hot on that. Also, it is only in the VUE, which is nothing I'd be in the market for anyway.
The ION is not going anywhere. The new one is coming in 2007 and will be a lot like the Opel Astra, which in my opinion is great! Large (or even performance) vehicles don't mean poor fuel economy. There are plenty of technologies that GM uses that will reduce the fuel consumpsion of future vehicles; such as VVT, DOD, direct injection, and even an upcoming two-mode hybrid system that will alone lower fuel consumpsion by 25%!

Look at GM's new LS4 (5.3L V8) engine. It's EPA ratings are 17/28. That is better than many V6's and you get 303 HP with 323 lb.-ft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NSAP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NSAP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
spork

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Look at GM's new LS4 (5.3L V8) engine. It's EPA ratings are 17/28. That is better than many V6's and you get 303 HP with 323 lb.-ft.
There aren't EPA ratings for engines. It's for the vehicles that have that engine. A light, streamlined vehicle will get much better mileage than a heavy brick. And I don't care which vehicle it's in, if you drive it like it has 300hp, you are going to get terrible mileage.

That being said, conventional engines are about at the peak of efficient design now. It's amazing that a big v8 can get decent mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 AM   #13
NSAP

Quote:
There aren't EPA ratings for engines. It's for the vehicles that have that engine. A light, streamlined vehicle will get much better mileage than a heavy brick. And I don't care which vehicle it's in, if you drive it like it has 300hp, you are going to get terrible mileage.

That being said, conventional engines are about at the peak of efficient design now. It's amazing that a big v8 can get decent mileage.
Well, EPA ratings for the LS4 Grand Prix GXP..

Drive it like it has 300 HP? It has DOD, so you are running it like its a 4-cyl unless you just floor it all the time. You just use the other 4 cylinders when you need them. Like, interestate driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NSAP's Reputation
Old 08-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #14
spork

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Well, EPA ratings for the LS4 Grand Prix GXP..

Drive it like it has 300 HP? It has DOD, so you are running it like its a 4-cyl unless you just floor it all the time. You just use the other 4 cylinders when you need them. Like, interestate driving.
Interstate driving is one of the times you'd run on only 4cyl. It doesn't take that much to maintain 70 mph on the highway. As a matter of fact, the only time you'd use the power was if you were towing, merging or passing on a 2 lane highway.

Shutting down cylinders sounds great in theory, but to me it sounds like someting that would not be reliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #15
NSAP

Quote:
Interstate driving is one of the times you'd run on only 4cyl. It doesn't take that much to maintain 70 mph on the highway. As a matter of fact, the only time you'd use the power was if you were towing, merging or passing on a 2 lane highway.

Shutting down cylinders sounds great in theory, but to me it sounds like someting that would not be reliable.

I swear I read that it runs on all 8 cyl. on hgihway driving.

DOD has been on the market since 2004 in the Trailblazer EXT and Envoy XL. They have not had any problems with them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NSAP's Reputation
Old 08-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #16
FL ION BY
FL ION BY is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

The new products are exciting. I am, however, one of the firm believers in polymer also. I have to go with VTHOKIE on that one. For me, I decided to buy an 05 ION, and I plan to keep this one around a long time. The dent resistance and lack of door dings are just a huge factor for me. I hope Saturn is making the best decisions so that they will be around a long time. But I personally think polymer is a great asset of these cars, and one which may not have been marketed as well as it should have in recent years. Whatever the case may be, I am sure glad I have an 05 in polymer!!!!

Previous Saturn cars: 1993 SL2 Blue/Green, 1999 SC1 2-Door Dark Blue, 2003 ION3 Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL ION BY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL ION BY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FL ION BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #17
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
VTHokie...

1) Have you seen these new SUV's (I figure you're talking about the Lambda's)?
Yes, in spy photos. Like the ugly, uninspired Saab 9-7x, it looks like a Chevy with different lights and a different label.

Last edited by VTHokie00SL2; 08-08-2005 at 11:10 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:10 AM   #18
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:

By the way, I can get a new 2005 Dodge Caravan for under 16k.
It gets 20 city 26 highway and can carry 146.7 cu ft of cargo.

Relay is 2 mpg less than the Caravan and 6 cu ft less cargo. All for $10k more.

The Vue gets 2 mpg better, but can only carry 64 cu ft of cargo.
No, a Relay goes for about $24k and a Caravan Base about $18k. This is before the rebates. Note that with the Relay you get more features, and the Caravan is a four cylinder vs. the Relay's V6. A Grand Caravan SE with the V6 goes for $21k and gets 19/26.

The VUE is shorter than the Caravan and has a longer front hood area (since it's not a minivan).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #19
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
A larger SUV you call it. These are crossover vehicles in the vein of the Pacifica and Freestyle. Both of which are the size of a minivan.
Everything Saturn does is in the vein of something else. How about doing something original for a change?

Quote:
Have you seen the gas mileage figures for the Freestyle? It's very good, something like 20/27 with FWD and 19/26 with AWD.
That's not bad, I guess.

Quote:
Gas prices may be on the rise but it doesn't mean the fuel consumption is.
Well, all I see from Saturn is talk of 250 hp V-6 engines these days. They don't even offer a car that matches my SL2 for fuel consumption. How the inefficient, slow, overweight ION ever got approved is beyond me. With peak oil likely upon us, it might be a good time to start thinking about fuel economy.

Quote:
If it has an optional V8 it's likely to have cylinder deactivation.
I keep hearing about this, but I haven't seen it. Will it be another triumph of quality and reliability along the lines of the Saturn CVT? I'll believe it when I see it, and I'll trust it after they get the bugs worked out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #20
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHOKIE97SL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
VTHokie...

1) Have you seen these new SUV's (I figure you're talking about the Lambda's)?
Yes, in spy photos. Like the ugly, uninspired Saab 9-7x, it looks like a Chevy with different lights and a different label.
Reread what I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
1) Have you seen these new SUV's (I figure you're talking about the Lambda's)? Up close? In person? And driven them? If no...quiet.
So far, Chevy isn't getting a Lambda. The disguised spy photos only give a general idea of what the car will look like. If you have seen them up close and personal, and driven them, then it's not valid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!