SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Wrench "S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing

NOTE! These instructions will only work for "S" Series cars built BEFORE 2000. If you have an "L", ION, or VUE, or 00'-02' "S" Series, you MUST go to the dealer to have Key Fobs programmed.

Remote RKE Key fob and option programming for "S" series cars built up to 1999 with Factory OEM Keyless Entry.

NOTE:ALL remotes MUST be programmed at the SAME TIME

Find the Diag connector to the left of the column attached to the dash below the steering wheel. (The thing a scan tool plugs into)
You will see two rows of little sockets or pins. Counting from left to right, TOP ROW, Jumper pins 4 and 8 (a paper clip bent into a "U" works well for this) .
The door locks should cycle and trunk pop open.
Depress lock and unlock button AT THE SAME TIME on the remote you want to program until locks cycle again. (This can take up to 1 minute)

If you have more than one remote, you will need to reprogram it at the same time. You do this by pressing the lock unlock buttons at the same time on EACH remote within 5 seconds of the other one acknowleding programing as described above. Every time you program a remote it clears the memory of ALL remotes. On the 97'-99' cars you can also program some handy options (like whether the horn chirps on "ARM" or you can even enable or disable the OEM alarm altogether.) Get the remotes programmed and working first, if you want to make any changes after that, SEE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

NOTE: If the programming does not work on one remote, remove the rear cover on the remote and clean the battery contact areas, check or change the battery and try again. Most often it is just a bad battery or dirty battery contacts on the remotes themselves that cause problem. Keep in mind you MUST program ALL remotes at the same time, each and every time.

Saturn "S" Series RKE and Security system OPTIONS programming up to 1999

Options are how the CAR will react when commanded by ANY remote programed and working for the CAR. You DO NOT need to reprogram a functional remote to change the options!

With the #4 and #8 pins jumpered, as described in the remote programing instructions above, you program the options by "cycling" (turning to ON and then back OFF) the ignition key a specific number of times as listed below.

#of key cycles
1..active.. horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill enabled
2..active..horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill disabled
3..active..horn enabled..alarm disabled..ign kill disabled
4..active..horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill enabled.
5..passive..horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill disabled
6..passive..horn enabled..alarm enabled..ign kill enabled
11..no horn sound.. all parts of security system disabled.. Will just lock and unlock vehicle

"Horn enabled" means horn will sound on on second press of lock button on remote in active or passive mode.

"Passive mode" will arm alarm after 1 minute. It will NOT automatically lock doors.

"Active mode" requires the use of the remote OR PDL door lock switch on the inside of the car (by pressing "LOCK" TWICE and then closing the door) to arm the security system, it will not self arm after 1 minute.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
n2stc
n2stc is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: "S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing

I tried this buy using the following

- closed door
- jumpered pins 4 & 8
- cycled key 3 times
- unjumpered pins

the alarm still arms itself after 1 minute . Did I do something wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n2stc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help n2stc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
n2stc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Hm, what wolfman didn't specify (which is unlike him...) is whether by "ON" he means "ACC" or "RUN". It might make a difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...00/ppuser/3528

Right from the FSM (Factory Service Manual)

To program the RKE module with a new transmitter, use the following instructions:

Have all the transmitters that will be programmed to the Saturn Present, even if only one is new.

1.Put your key in the ignition, and keep it in the OFF position.

2.Locate the DLC. It is fastened to bottom of the left side of trim panel under the steering column.

3.Use a jumper wire to provide a path from the RKE system program circuit (cavity 8) to ground (cavity 4). Use an available Saturn lead kit and splice, to create a jumper wire as shown. Grounding the program circuit causes the horn chirp. Count the number of horn chirps. The number of chirps will correspond to the mode the RKE module is in.
Obtain the desired mode number by referring to the Saturn Security System mode chart.
4.Cycle the ignition key the number of times that correspond to the desired mode, making sure the key ends up in the LOCK position after it is cycled.
The key must be in the LOCK position to program the module.
5.Keeping the program circuit grounded, simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter.
The horn will chirp the number of times corresponding to the mode programmed when the process is completed, may take up to 15 seconds.
If there is no response, repeat this step, making sure both buttons are pressed down firmly.
If there is still no response, check the transmitter battery and battery contacts. If you are only programming the RKE module with one transmitter, proceed to step 7.
6.Still keeping the program circuit grounded, repeat step 5 with the next transmitter. You must not allow more than one minute between programming the transmitters, or the RKE module will exit programming mode and you will have to start over. If you accidentally disconnect the ground wire from the DLC before completing this step, you will have to start over at step 3. If you accidentally disconnect the ground wire from the DLC, after completing this step, only the first transmitter will be matched. If you make a mistake, start over at step 3.

7.Remove the jumper wire.
Test the operation of each transmitter with the Saturn.
Close the decklid or liftgate.

Saturn Security System Mode Chart Number of IGN Cycles (Horn Chirps)
Mode (Active/Passive)

Double Press LOCK button for horn chirp
Content Theft
Immobilization

No Change
No Change
No Change
No Change

Active
Enabled
Enabled
Enabled

Active
Enabled
Enabled
Disabled

Active
Enabled
Disabled
Disabled

Active
Enabled (Single button press for horn chirp Arm 1/Disarm 2)
Enabled
Enabled

Passive
Enabled
Enabled
Enabled

Passive
Enabled (Single button press for horn chirp Arm 1/Disarm 2)
Enabled
Enabled

7-10*
Not Used
Not Used
Not Used
Not Used

Disabled
Disabled
Disabled
Disabled

12-14*
Not Used
Not Used

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
RedLine004
RedLine004 is on a distinguished road

With key off jump pin 8 to ground pin 4 wait for 30 seconds then the horn should sound if not check remote if its ok check with dealer for poss rke replacement.Your rke should be behind rear pass seat on left side.It should not take this long to program remote lol.Caution if this is a 2000 or greater need to take to dealer to program.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedLine004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedLine004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedLine004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
RedLine004
RedLine004 is on a distinguished road

O by the way rid the Scar and geta ION REDLINE better performance lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedLine004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedLine004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedLine004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
n2stc
n2stc is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Thanks Wolfman!! I got it working. Apparently you need to program the remotes last, to confirm the settings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n2stc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help n2stc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
n2stc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
Carlyle
Carlyle is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Where exactly is the RKE? behind a panel? exactly where?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
Carlyle
Carlyle is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Sad Re: "S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing

after gutting my car for painting the panels and dying the carpet, i determined i dont have one...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
UsNsUbSoNaR
UsNsUbSoNaR is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I performed this on my car and I didn't change the alarm functions. I then tried to arm the alarm with the whole horn chirp after second lock deal and there was nothing. When I tried to change the settings to the first set of options (alarm enabled...yatta yatta) due to the horn not chirping, it beep once when jumpered. Tried to arm the alarm again, nothing. I then changed to two chirps while jumpered with reprogrammed FOBs and still nothing. BTW, it worked before I initially programmed the new FOB and the old one. Any thoughts?

1993 Saturn SL 145k miles 5spd (Sold)
2003 Saturn Vue 52k miles V6 AWD (Sold)
1999 SL2 152k miles Auto (Sold)
1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UsNsUbSoNaR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UsNsUbSoNaR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UsNsUbSoNaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
poisonworm
poisonworm is on a distinguished road

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i have a question...

I just bought a 98 Saturn SL, and am interested in setting the alarm to mode 1...All on. My remote currently works, and is programmed, so would I have to reprogram the remote anyways?

Again, sorry to revive the old thread...

Erik

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poisonworm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poisonworm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
poisonworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
beckerboards
beckerboards is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Just letting everyone interested in this thread that I have used these instructions for my 99 sw2 and it worked just fine.

No Bad Days

'99 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beckerboards's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beckerboards reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beckerboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
gokart21jp
gokart21jp is on a distinguished road

im helping friends daughter 98 saturn sc alarm giving big problems replaced alarm it added problems went threw all directions still wont work is there anyway to copletely remove alarm and bypass so it will never get stuck again so she can start car and get to college please help thank you email me if you find anything that can help gokart21jp@bellsouth.net desperate in st augustine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gokart21jp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gokart21jp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gokart21jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart21jp View Post
im helping friends daughter 98 saturn sc alarm giving big problems replaced alarm it added problems went threw all directions still wont work is there anyway to copletely remove alarm and bypass so it will never get stuck again so she can start car and get to college please help thank you email me if you find anything that can help gokart21jp@bellsouth.net desperate in st augustine
Since this is a specific question/issue, and not an enhancement of the "How-To" of this article, please (1) post your question to the "S-Series General" forum, and (2) please use punctuation / capitalization in a manner that makes your statement meaningful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
SiMPiN
SiMPiN is on a distinguished road

Nice tutorial Wolfman ... I lost my gf's set of keys one night when drinking so this will save us a few bucks when we get a replacement fob.

One question, I have a spare key but not a spare fob so when I open the door the horn starts going and the car is immobilized. Will the RKE module reprogram a new fob while it's immobilized? I was thinking no due to the risk of theft but since you need the key in the ignition to reprogram it should be able to.

Thanks for the insight!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SiMPiN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SiMPiN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SiMPiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiMPiN View Post
Nice tutorial Wolfman ... I lost my gf's set of keys one night when drinking so this will save us a few bucks when we get a replacement fob.

One question, I have a spare key but not a spare fob so when I open the door the horn starts going and the car is immobilized. Will the RKE module reprogram a new fob while it's immobilized? I was thinking no due to the risk of theft but since you need the key in the ignition to reprogram it should be able to.

Thanks for the insight!
Putting the key in the ignition and starting the car will silence the alarm and deactivate the system if you do it quickly (the exact time frame I do not recall) enough upon opening the door and tripping the system. If you have the key you can also deactivate the active arming that is now set to on without the fob until you can obtain and program one. You just need to jumper the terminals in the ALDL and cycle the key on/off as appropriate as listed in the directions (No fob needed)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
SiMPiN
SiMPiN is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the swift reply and useful info ... I'm gonna go try it now cause the battery in my Acura is dead so I need to boost it with the trusty old Saturn that's been sitting all winter!

Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SiMPiN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SiMPiN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SiMPiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
94IAcoupe
94IAcoupe is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Question Re: "S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing

Will this work on a 94 SC2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94IAcoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94IAcoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94IAcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
ScottFitzhugh
ScottFitzhugh is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Dizzy Re: "S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing

I have a 1999 SL1. The car seems to be in mode 4 (1 chirp when locks-2 chirps when unlocks). I want it in mode 1.

When I jumper 4 & 8, it honks 14 times. This is weird, since the chart says 14 is not used. I cycle my key 1 time to try to get to normal use, but it makes no change. (I have tried cycling from Lock to ACC & from Lock to Run).

Anyone seen this and know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ScottFitzhugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ScottFitzhugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ScottFitzhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
jarl
jarl is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Hello Scott,

I replied your PM already, but for the public's sake I'm adding my 2 cents here...
Mode 14 is, indeed, not an option for this car's RKE. It's more likely your RKE going south, or being out of commission already.

In my case I never had any problem bringing the car out of mode 14 using these instructions (I actually printed them and carried the page in my glovebox... I threw away the page -and the clip- just recently), but the solution to the problem was to replace the RKE module by a pull-a-part unit.

The funny thing is that I later retrofitted my '94 SL2 with the very same (defective?) unit, and it never failed on that car...

J

//*********************************

'99 SL1
5 sp. manual transmission
100K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jarl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jarl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jarl is offline   Reply With Quote