SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
chicagomike
chicagomike is on a distinguished road

Default 1997 SC2 - sudden rough idle, car shakes in "D"

Automatic trans. No check engine light. I had this problem once before and the tech said maybe it was bad gasoline. I only use BP gasoline. This happened after I exited the tollway, and the car has not recovered since. The car was down to less than a 1.4 tank and I topped it off with Valvoline synthetic fuel cleaner and BP "clean" 93 octane to help clean anything. After 20+ more miles it's still bad.

In the past 3 months changed PCV valve, oil, air filter, spark plugs, oil change, trans fluid change. Throttle body was cleaned recently, and new fuel filter. All seems okay.

Car starts a little funny, idles high at first.

1. Idles higher than normal when shifting into neutral, idle seems to "hang"

2. When in DRIVE, the car shakes when at a complete stop, and the idle is fighting to keep the car alive. Let off the brake and roll forward, the shaking is a little more violent it seems. In Neutral, the problem stops because it idles higher. When you gas it, the shaking stops and it seems normal, but the shifts seem "off" like it's shifting late (it pulls to higher RPMs before shifting than it used to).

3. When slowing down, the throttle decay seems a little weird and the transmission seems "confused" while downshifting.

Is there a throttle sensor you can recommend changing before I go to Saturn to have them scan it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chicagomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chicagomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chicagomike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: 1997 SC2 - sudden rough idle, car shakes in "D"

Sounds like motor mounts-at least you described pretty much my car before I replaced upper mount. After, it was so smooth, I couldn't tell it was running sometimes. Now the shaking is back a little & I am replacing the other mounts also. If you haven't checked at least your upper mount it is worth a second to look at. If you can slip a finger (any of them) between the metal & the rubber, it needs to be replaced. Also, if that one is gone probably the others need to be replaced also. On a difficulty scale of 1-10 about a 3 max!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
chicagomike

Top motor mount is brand new. Bottom was never replaced. Doesn't seem like a motor mount issue since it rides a little strange and starts funny. In neutral at a stop it runs fine. The idle seems to be all over the place, like when slowing down from speed or popping it in neutral it will rev up to 2000 RPMs all by itself and hang there for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansl2
Sounds like motor mounts-at least you described pretty much my car befor I replaced upper mount. Now the shaking is back a little & I am replacing the other mounts also. If you haven't checked at least your upper mount it is work a second to look at. If you can slip a finger (any of them) between the metal & the rubber, it needs to be replaced. Also, if that one is gone probably the others need to be replaced also. On a difficulty scale of 1-10 about a 3 max!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chicagomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
SW1philly
SW1philly is on a distinguished road

1994 SW1

Check for vacuum leak and clean the EGR valve. I am surprised no codes are present.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW1philly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW1philly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW1philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
chicagomike

I was just at Saturn. They checked it out.

No codes.

They said it's either a bad Idle Control Sensor or the EGR is getting stuck, they don't know, and they told me to wait until it gets worse or throws a code.

How do I clean the EGR? Where is it located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1philly
Check for vacuum leak and clean the EGR valve. I am surprised no codes are present.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
SW1philly
SW1philly is on a distinguished road

1994 SW1

It's not where mine is. I believe yours is on the engine just before the tranny near the ECTS sensor. Two bolts. Clean well making sure pintle moves. Clean with a good carb cleaner. Try not to get the solenoid on the top wet. You can use a soft toothbrush. Try to clean out egr holes on the engine with valve removed. These are "dirty" burning cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW1philly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW1philly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW1philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
dansl2
Advanced Member

2000 SL2

If you changed your ECTS (yet), it is right above that. If not, drivers side approx half way back, attached to block, just below cam cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
chicagomike

come on guys, I can change my air filter, spark plugs and oil and that's about it. I don't know where these things are or what to do!

suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
chicagomike

What's ECTS? argh I have no clue about this stuff

Quote:
If you changed your ECTS (yet), it is right above that. If not, drivers side approx half way back, attached to block, just below cam cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
dansl2
Advanced Member

2000 SL2

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. There are a lot of posts about it on this board. The older version (2000 & earlier) had a resin tip. It tended to crack after a while & caused all kinds of problems. It was replaced in 2001 w/ a metal tipped one. It is recommended that you change yours out. Simple (easy) proceedure & cheap part. There are instructions (& pics) in the "How to" section). This might/probably could help your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #11
chicagomike

Ok, but I am not changing my ECTS, saturn has actually changed that a couple of times when it throws a code. I have no code.

My car has 205,000 miles on it, just trying to keep it alive. I seached HOW TO and found nothing on the EGR for my car. I just want the idle fixed. Throttle body is clean. ...

Quote:
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. There are a lot of posts about it on this board. The older version (2000 & earlier) had a resin tip. It tended to crack after a while & caused all kinds of problems. It was replaced in 2001 w/ a metal tipped one. It is recommended that you change yours out. Simple (easy) proceedure & cheap part. There are instructions (& pics) in the "How to" section). This might/probably could help your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
highwaystar
highwaystar is on a distinguished road

My son's '97 is doing the exact same thing. I can't figure it out. How did you resolve this??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to highwaystar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help highwaystar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
highwaystar is offline   Reply With Quote