SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
TurboTuna
TurboTuna is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Oil Pan Removal

Hello,

I searched the entire board and I couldn't find any info on this topic. I have dent in the bottom of my oil pan on my 2002 SL1. This is not a puncture! Just a, too large for my comfort, dent. What caused it or even when it happened, I don't know. My concern now is how to fix it. Can the oil pan on a 2002 SL1 be removed with the engine still in the car? If so what is involved? Last, can the pan gasket be re-used?

Being that the pan is made of steel I can remove it and pound out the dent. I am afraid that the dent may have lessened the critical gap between the oil pump pickup and the pan's sump bottom. I don't want to be running the risk of oil starvation in the engine. This car has been too good to let it go to a small problem like this. Any help is so much appreciated.

Later,

TurboT

2002 Silver SL1, 5-speed: 177K mile daily driver (consuming oil @ 1 quart per 2000 miles minimum).
Living proof that platinum spark plugs DO work on S-series Saturn engines! Ask me how!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TurboTuna's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TurboTuna reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TurboTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Civic&Saturn
Civic&Saturn is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Oil Pan Removal

I have yet to do this job myself but from what I've read here it involves removing a bracket and then disconnecting and dropping part of the exhaust before you can remove the pan. And if you're going to all that trouble, why even attempt to recycle a pan gasket and risk a leak? I'd clean the pan thoroughly and put on a new gasket. Come to think of it, Saturn oil pans might not even use gaskets -- the experts around here can clear that one up, I'm sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Civic&Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Civic&Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Civic&Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
TurboTuna

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic&Saturn
I have yet to do this job myself but from what I've read here it involves removing a bracket and then disconnecting and dropping part of the exhaust before you can remove the pan. And if you're going to all that trouble, why even attempt to recycle a pan gasket and risk a leak? I'd clean the pan thoroughly and put on a new gasket. Come to think of it, Saturn oil pans might not even use gaskets -- the experts around here can clear that one up, I'm sure.
Point well taken. What's the cost of a new gasket as compared to a messy leak. Where have you read this "how to" information? Can you provide a link(s)?

2002 Silver SL1, 5-speed: 177K mile daily driver (consuming oil @ 1 quart per 2000 miles minimum).
Living proof that platinum spark plugs DO work on S-series Saturn engines! Ask me how!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TurboTuna reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Taking the oil pan off of a 2002 shouldn't be too hard (less rust on bolts). I can only provide insight based on the fact that I own a 1992 sl1.

-The oil pan uses RTV for the gasket. You will want to scrape off all the old gasket, clean with brake parts cleaner (carb cleaner leaves a residue), and apply new bead of GREY RTV.
-You will need to remove the exhaust downpipe.
-If you have an automatic, you will need to remove the transaxle-to-engine stiffener plate.
-Depending on design changes from 92 to 02 (remember, I am working on the basis that they are similar), you might want to remove some other things to help you like the passenger side wheel and splash guard.
-I found it helpful to jack the engine up a bit and put some blocks in between the lower engine dogbone mount and the frame. This helps in getting the pan out...kinda tricky.
-Before you apply the RTV to the pan, do a couple dry runs on getting the pan back in.

Have fun...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dixonba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

The gasket as mentioned already is RTV. It needs to be replaced. If you want it to seal properly the old RTV needs to be cleaned off of the pan and the block so that any one could eat off of the surfaces and not worry. No RTV or oil or any other kind of residue at all.

The lower crank pulley will ned to come off. The exhaust pipe, the engine to trans bracket, the tin shield at the trans.

Once the pan is back in place, bolted and torqued up check to see if the drai hole from the crank seal area into the pan is not blocked. If so then remove the pan and start all over again. Test it by dripping oil in behind the front crank seal until it should overflow. It should not. It is supposed to drain away into the oil pan. If it does not then you crossed the line and used to much RTV and have blocked the drain hole.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
TurboTuna

2002 SL1

Sorry about the long response time. Thanks for the helpful insight into my query. I will have to get under the car and see if I think I want to undertake this challenge or cough up the dough for my Saturn dealer to do it. Taking off the crank pulley with so little room doesn't seem in the realm of my capabilities.

One more question, is the 1.9L nuetral balance or is the crank pulley also a harmonic balancer?

Thanks again,

TurboT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
BlackBirdRacing
Advanced Member
BlackBirdRacing is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTuna
One more question, is the 1.9L nuetral balance

YES is the crank pulley also a harmonic balancer? NO it's a harmonic dampener, not balancer

TurboT
good luck...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackBirdRacing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackBirdRacing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlackBirdRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
TurboTuna

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBirdRacing
good luck...

Thank you very much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTuna
One more question, is the 1.9L nuetral balance or is the crank pulley also a harmonic balancer?

Thanks again,

TurboT
On the SOHC engine the crank pulley is just that, a pulley. On the DOHC engine the crank pulley is a harmonic balancer style pulley. Inner center rubber dampener bonded to the outer part.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
BlackBirdRacing
Advanced Member
BlackBirdRacing is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
On the DOHC engine the crank pulley is a harmonic balancer style pulley.
I am pretty sure the DOHC engines are internally balanced...
therefore it is a harmonic dampener in a harmonic balancer.

The 400 small block chevy, unlike the 350 and it's family members, are externally balanced hence the large weight on the flywheel and the notch in the harmonic balancer.

Again our engine are internally balanced that why we can use any other saturns dampener not just the one that was factory "balanced" for our engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackBirdRacing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackBirdRacing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlackBirdRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:24 AM   #11
Scott
Scott is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

I just removed the oil pan on my 95 SL1. 42 nuts to remove and reinstall in all:

4 on the passenger side wheel
3 at the exhaust manifold flange
3 at the catalytic converter flange
2 on the exhaust hanger
6 on the engine to transaxle reinforcing plate
3 on the flywheel cover
1 on the crankshaft pulley
20 on the pan itself

Stay organized as you proceed. On my car I replaced the exhaust gaskets and nuts as well as the studs on the catalytic converter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scott's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote