SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 06:11 AM   #1
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Saturn Helps Pull up GM's Quality Ratings

From USATODAY Money section. Look at last paragraph

General Motors has captured a spot among the top three automakers in a respected quality rating.

In a new survey by J.D. Power and Associates, GM passed Nissan to rank third among big automakers behind Toyota and Honda.

Here are J.D. Power and Associates quality rankings for the major automakers done in May and this month. Power does not make the list public. USA TODAY obtained it from another source.
May 2001 October 2001
Toyota Toyota
Honda Honda
Nissan General Motors
General Motors Nissan
DaimlerChrysler Ford Motor
Volkswagen DaimlerChrysler
Ford Motor Volkswagen

The survey, which is not made public, is an interim report to Power's Initial Quality Survey (IQS), which comes out each May. It's based on surveys of new car buyers about problems during the first 90 days of ownership.

"I believe it's the first time since the IQS study began (15 years ago) that GM has been in the top three," says Tom Kowaleski, GM spokesman for product and brand communications.

"We track our quality internally, and if their report says we are improving, I would say that is consistent with our internal measurements," says Brian Akre, another GM spokesman.

GM trailed Nissan by 1 point, statistically insignificant, last May. But the ranking is symbolically important to a U.S. auto industry that has been playing catch-up to the Japanese in quality for 20 years.

GM was helped by its Saturn division, which climbed to No. 4 from No. 13 among brands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2001, 11:22 AM   #2
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I just hope the introduction of the Vue doesn't drive the ratings back down. I know the quality ratings during the L's introduction could not have been very good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2001, 01:41 AM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I don't think they'll make the same mistake with the Vue. They seem to be taking their time to get things right. That unproven CVT is cause for some concern, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2001, 06:16 AM   #4
ricksLS1
Master Member

They will have bugs with the VUE. Most posts here say not to buy a first year car .. Any company. I agree. Why would this be different for Saturn. You can say they won't make the same mistake as the L. But ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS. Maybe they won't make glaring errors (Ex. 13.2 gas tank) but I'm sure the suppliers are the same on for the L's (Door trims etc.). Ask BOBL what he's been through. So if they make half the errors that BOBL had that is still to many. BOB what is the total # of problems (Include repeat) you have had.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2001, 05:47 PM   #5
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

Early production quality issues...we won't know until the VUE comes out. Hopefully, they have resolved most of them. However, some glitches with the L dealed with consumer tastes...like that 13 gallon tank. I think that they have given the VUE enough press and direct consumer input to have a good final product (design-wise) from the start.

I certainly hope that's true.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2001, 08:01 AM   #6
ricksLS1
Master Member

I think the 13 gallon tank is a big mistake. No other company has a 13 gallon tank on 6. Several issues (Purge Soleinoid - Nosie when cold - no fix, wipers scraping - Saurn can not fix, molding strips falling apart or discolor etc.) that they had were way to many. Don't buy a 1st year car from anybody. Ask BOBL. Unless you have the time to be a tester. Wait till the bugs are fixed (hopefully) after a year that the VUE is out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread