SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Default A/C drain line

On my 93 SC2 I 've been running the AC constantly, but when I park it I do not notice water draining out like most cars do when the AC has been on for a while. My other Saturns usually leave a puddle of water after using the AC. Where is the line or tube for the water to drain out of? I think mine may be plugged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: A/C drain line

I know this is a smart question, but why don't you look at your other saturns?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
I know this is a smart question, but why don't you look at your other saturns?
I'm not going to drive the car to operating temperature for a while with the AC on, and then come home and crawl underneath a hot car.

I've looked for it everywhere, and even the service manual does not say anything about it. The water has to come from somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

I could be completely wrong here.. but isnt there no "drain line"? I thought the water drips is just the result of the warm air meeting with the cold a/c lines / components. Warm air holds more moisture than cold.. and the cold components cooling the warm air causes the warm air to release moisture (water).

Once again.. i'm not 100% sure on this

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
FL_SL2
FL_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

The drain from the evaporator is on the firewall, about the middle of the car, just below where the heater hoses connect for the heater core.

The search function doesn't seem to be working for me right now, but someone did post an image about this previously. I'm pretty sure I started the thread, but I was at least active in it.

Are you having any water accumulating under the carpet in your front seats? Carpets soggy? The sound of flowing water when accelerating or stopping?

...if Despotism failed only for want of a capable benevolent despot, what chance has Democracy, which requires a whole population of capable voters. -- George Bernard Shaw 1903

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FL_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

For whatever reason, "S" series cars do not generate "as much" condensation drip as many other cars do. The drain is located under the car, below where the heater hoses and A/C lines go into the firewall. It does not protrude very far out of the firewill and resembles a crushed rubber hose end in appearance. A clogged one (if that is what yours is) WILL result in water overflowing the evaporator case and dampening (or soaking) the carpet forward of the center console and the PASSENGER side footwell.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
FL_SL2
FL_SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

try this thread...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52383

...if Despotism failed only for want of a capable benevolent despot, what chance has Democracy, which requires a whole population of capable voters. -- George Bernard Shaw 1903

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FL_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I think this: http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...p/photo/16238/

Is the actual diagram FL SL2 is referring to. To help you find the drain, the cylindrical assembly with the two hoses running into in the diagram is the STEERING RACK (that's how low on the firewall the drain is)

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:13 AM   #9
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Always coming through

Very nice drawing/picture, thanks Wolfman

Would you like your coffee with or with sugar or cream > >

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #10
wolfman

Default Re: Always coming through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Very nice drawing/picture, thanks Wolfman

Would you like your coffee with or with sugar or cream > >
Credit where credit is due Luke... I only found it in someone else's gallery, sierrap615 is the true original poster of that gem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2005, 01:17 AM   #11
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Always coming through

thank for the credit but in all honistly i just scanned from a TSB, gotta love those things. and yes, sticking a pencil eraser in the hole is saturn's recommended cleaning procedure. (i swear the engineers do these things just so they can watch the techs and laugh)

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #12
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Commpliments to Sierrap

Quote:
> Fm Wolfman <
> Credit where credit is due Luke... I only found it in someone else's gallery, sierrap615 is the true original poster of that gem. <
That is what makes this sit/forum the envy of any others. We do have quite a collection of experts on this site. The knowledge developed here can be applied to other cars, in many cases. Simply put = Impressive. This forum's membership has every reason to be very proud. What a classroom

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #13
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
For whatever reason, "S" series cars do not generate "as much" condensation drip as many other cars do. .
Do they actually not produce as much or do we just not see it? I ask this because I know the drain is also right over the exhaust. It is not unusual after you shut the car off and get out to hear the water dripping on the exhaust. Therefor we don't see it on the ground because it hits the exhaust and boils/evaporates. Your thoughts on this Wolfman Luke and others

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #14
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

good point, however i think it a combonation of both(and the fact it likes to stay on the evaporater and make mold) but no matter how you look at it we don't have the lakes under our cars like some people do.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote