SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?
Yes 37 12.46%
No 231 77.78%
Don't Care 29 9.76%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #81
nativue
nativue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?

[QUOTE=burnout]Holy Capslock batman...

[[I]B]Anyway: If I was considering to buy a saturn and it was in Mexico... I would definitely give the car less thought to buy. It would take a full run around on the dealer lot, and probably an overnight test drive to get me convinced its a decent product. Now, if the engine was made in mexico, no way. BUT: Because I can be assured that the engine is indeed a honda and not built in mexico, that would sway the decision highly towards 'yes'.

Any of you guys out there old enough to remember when "made in Japan" meant junk? Now we're salivating over getting an engine made by them - because they now make excellent products! Our concept of Mexico and Mexicans might be limited to the relatively uneducated, hard-working folks who sneak across our border to cut our grass and clean our homes. We might be surprised at the depth and sophistication of some of the people living south of the border. I'm not saying the Mexican plant will build a superior or even equivalent vehicle, I'm just saying "let's wait and see".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nativue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nativue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nativue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #82
mjekot
mjekot is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=saturnfreak01]"""It's this attitude that's killing our ecomony. By the time you and the others like you wake up, it will be too late.

That was EXACTLY my point!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Informed.
Do not trust that Governments or Corporations have YOUR best interest in mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjekot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjekot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjekot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #83
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

Here's a nice story that made me proud of Saturn...

I went out to a mall with one of my friends this evening, and we were talking about Saturns while we were driving back. So he says that they may be assembled in the U.S., but most of the parts are imported anyway. Saturn of the Mountain Empire was on the way home, so I said that we would just see who was right. So we pulled in and looked at some of the window stickers. The ION says that it is 95% U.S./Canadian parts, and the VUE V6 says 65% U.S./Canadian. (I'm pretty sure those numbers are correct. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) Our Saturn dealership is actually right beside an Acura dealer, so we went and looked at their window stickers. The RSX is 95% Japanese. He left with a new found respect for Saturn.

Does GM just dislike selling Saturns for some reason?

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #84
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnhater2
I'm assuming that the design will still be done in the US.

So... my thoughts are: The high costs of Union Labor have pushed yet another manufacturing operation outside the borders of the USA. Too bad!
This is, by far, the best post I've seen in this entire thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zborgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #85
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zborgerd
I don't understand why so many people cheer the loss of decent paying middle class jobs. Why is it that someone making $60k a year in a manufacturing job is somehow being greedy, while it's okay for CEO's to be making $6 million a year or more?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #86
angelnut
angelnut is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

If Saturn goes to Mexico...I know I wouldn't consider buying a Saturn again and I know others that feel the same way.

If our jobs keep going to Mexico and China, we won't have to worry about buying anything...because there won't be any money left in the US to purchase anything with! Eventually they will have to either lower prices or bring jobs back so we can afford to buy them again.

It isn't so much a quality issue as it is an issue of keeping jobs here at home. Without those jobs, and all the subcontractor jobs that go with the automotive industry...where do they think people will earn the money to afford to keep buying new automobiles? I lived in Michigan most of my life and worked in automotive related factorys, until the unemployment checks came more regular than my payroll checks...that was when we moved to Colorado and non-automotive related jobs.

Lori
94 SC2

Lori
Evans, Colorado
Red 94 SC2
225,??? miles as of Dec. 3, 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelnut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #87
jcrollins
jcrollins is on a distinguished road

I would not buy a Saturn that was not made in Spring Hill. I have not been impressed with the quality of the L Series and think some of the problem was that there was not as strong a committment to the product in the second manufacturing location. Having bought 4 new Saturns in the past - most recent a 2004 Ion, next to moving away from Plastic side panels, moving out of Spring Hill would be the craziest idea I have heard so far. I really have like my 2001 SC2, the 1997 SL2 and the 1993 SL2 before it. All cars have been true to form with no major mechanical problems. I am concerned that a move to anywhere will result in quality problems. Lets face it, the main selling factor for the Saturns has been quality transportation, that you could run a shopping cart into and not have a problem at a reasonable price that was easy to maintain. These factors helped keep the resale value up and repeat business up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcrollins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcrollins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #88
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHOKIE97SL2
I don't understand why so many people cheer the loss of decent paying middle class jobs. Why is it that someone making $60k a year in a manufacturing job is somehow being greedy, while it's okay for CEO's to be making $6 million a year or more?
Why? Because lazy union works (and that doesn't mean all of them) have pushed factory jobs away from USA. Why is everyone surprised here? Mexicans can do it for less money , with the same level of top American quality, and still make more of them in less time. GM domestic quality control hasn't exactly been top-notch either.

I have family that retired from GM. I *know* what they do in those factories. I've been in them several times.

But, hey... Think of it this way. That union worker, who sits idle eating donuts and reading magazines, gives plenty of work to the repair tech at the local Saturn garage. It's win/win for everyone (this is sarcasm).

It's pretty amazing how the vast majority of people here can complain about a car, but don't give a hint of consideration to the hundreds of other products that they own that were made outside of this country. Oh no! Boycott your Chinese-made computer!!!

You have to put your money where your mouth is. It is *you* who refuses to buy any of the current Saturn lineup. Those that bicker are like the Judas of the Saturn brand. I'm not afraid to pay a few hundred for a nice pair of American made boots, instead of buying some cheap junk from Wal-Mart. The same rule applies to cars. News flash... Americans are buying cheap cars from Mexico. Look at the Focus. Look at the Neon. Look at the Korean cars that people are buying for $9000. Americans love cheap stuff, but don't ever take their factory jobs away!

Those that complained about the ION and its share of design quirks obviously never considered that the plastic dashboard budget had to go to some overpaid union guy that watches widgets move down a factory line. Take your pick. You can't have it all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zborgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #89
Aquarius
Aquarius is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:

has one of the best workforces in the world when it comes to building cars in general - Toyota will be opening a plant in the London (Ontario) area soon - perhaps it has something to do with quality of life; health care and unionized labour - workers that are healthy and earn enough to buy the vehicles they make, not just a bag of rice and a pound of balony. Ingersol (Ontario)is a car making town-and a strong union town- how cool that at the recent folk-festival (free) the parking lot has one foreign car (a Nissan) - the rest were made down the street.

Companies that look after their workers earn loyalty and pride in workmanship. Companies that exploit their workers end up with workers who can't afford the products they make, sick workers, hungry workers and decreasing quality, through no fault of the exploited workers.

Does GM ever think about who is going to buy the cars if there is no one who earns enough to buy one? Looks like 78% of us support good jobs for the average joe. Lets think about tax writeoffs and corporate welfare vs. unionization. The first benefits a few, the second benefits us all. We have jobs because other folks in our communities have jobs to buy the stuff we produce. Stop fighting the little guy, get educated about who profits and stand up for decent wages for everyone to live a basic descent life. My money is going to say support employment and quality of life and quality of product. I am so proud that 78% of us get it - come on folks, lets make it 99.9% - educate a friend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aquarius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aquarius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #90
Caprice
Advanced Member
Caprice is on a distinguished road

There is no freaking way I'd buy a Mexico-built Saturn of any model.

While I'm no big fan of manufacturing work (meaning I wouldn't personally want to do it) our country needs the jobs, no ifs, ands, or buts. I'm absolutely sick of outsourcing, IT or manufacturing, it doesn't matter.

~ Simplicity is Beauty.
"Who needs electronic locks and windows, power steering, or automatic sliding
doors if you can trade it all for a little excersise and some spare change?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Caprice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Caprice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:05 AM   #91
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

Outsourcing = good for other countries, bad for USA. In this case, Mexico benefits, and we lose.

While I think globalization is actually a good thing and helps bring other countries into the mix of more robust economies and better-trained workforces, we need to take care of ourselves first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:36 AM   #92
delivery man
Advanced Member
delivery man is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I'll have to pass on that one!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delivery man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delivery man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delivery man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #93
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy
For those who think that Japanese made cars don't support poor working conditions, look beyond the car company to the parts suppliers. This may have changed since I learned about it, but at least in the late 80's/early 90's, major japanese automotive companies would purchase their parts from small vendors who often had shops in horrible locations & in horrible conditions. Chemicals not handled properly, etc. The companies used these small vendors to protect themselves from changes in economy - market takes a downturn, these small vendors go out of business. As I said, this may have changed, but I don't know...
95% of the parts for the Toyota Camry and other cars built in Kentucky
come from manufactueres that are within one days drive from Kentucky, mostly Ohio and Indiana. Hay, your from Indiana!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #94
cameraboy
cameraboy is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
2002 SC2

Not only would I not buy a saturn made in mexico, if they close down the Tenn. plant and move manufacturing to mexico, if they move ANY manufacturing to Mexico, I will never buy another saturn again.

In fact, I'm more and more open to the idea of buying a car made in the US by Americans under a foreign label than buying an "American" car made someplace else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cameraboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cameraboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cameraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #95
haypops

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnhater2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zborgerd
It is my understanding that the engineering is being done in South Korea. Likewise the plan is for tooling for North American manufactured products to use tooling made in South Korea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #96
haypops

Mexicans have been buying UAW produced vehicles for ever. Haven't they contributed enough to deserve one ********** GM plant. I think Saturn is a special case to all of us here and prefer that some Chevy or Pontiac be built there instead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #97
phinman
phinman is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I dont think i would.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phinman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phinman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #98
kevinthenerd
kevinthenerd is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I will not buy any car built in Mexico or any other cheap labor market, or worse yet, a car built under an oppressive Communist regime like China's! As it is, sometimes we have little or no choice with other products, but I hope it doesn't come to that with automobiles. And even if it does, I will continue to fight the trend, at the very least by voting against the politicians who support unregulated "free trade" at the expense of middle class U.S. jobs and often at the expense of our strategic interests.
That's exactly what I was thinking. If the robots do all the work, why can't they just keep the money home? It's stupid to me that political boundaries have such drastic effects on the money a man makes. Why should a Mexican who's just a few thousand miles south of us bust his #*@ to get a tiny fraction of the money I'm slacking off to get? If GM moves Saturn to Mexico, I don't know what I'd do. The SKY is amazing, but I won't buy it unless it's made here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevinthenerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevinthenerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevinthenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #99
haypops

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenerd
? If GM moves Saturn to Mexico, I don't know what I'd do. The SKY is amazing, but I won't buy it unless it's made here.
Ths SKY will be made in Maryland at the plant that used to make the L series

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #100
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by haypops
Ths SKY will be made in Maryland at the plant that used to make the L series
Delaware, Delaware

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote