SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?
Yes 37 12.46%
No 231 77.78%
Don't Care 29 9.76%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #41
saturnhater2
saturnhater2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Would You Buy a Saturn Made in Mexico?

I'm assuming that the design will still be done in the US.

So... my thoughts are: The high costs of Union Labor have pushed yet another manufacturing operation outside the borders of the USA. Too bad!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhater2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhater2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #42
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Not only would I not purchase a Saturn from Mexico, I would not sell them either. If all (or a significant portion of) production goes south of the border my conscience would force me to change jobs. I'll sell Canadian Camaros and Buicks first!

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #43
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M
Not only would I not purchase a Saturn from Mexico, I would not sell them either. If all (or a significant portion of) production goes south of the border my conscience would force me to change jobs. I'll sell Canadian Camaros and Buicks first!
Don't you drive an Australian Pontiac?
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 AM   #44
spooky
spooky is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHOKIE97SL2
I will not buy any car built in Mexico or any other cheap labor market, or worse yet, a car built under an oppressive Communist regime like China's! As it is, sometimes we have little or no choice with other products, but I hope it doesn't come to that with automobiles. And even if it does, I will continue to fight the trend, at the very least by voting against the politicians who support unregulated "free trade" at the expense of middle class U.S. jobs and often at the expense of our strategic interests.
I sympathize with your viewpoint and feel your pain... however, pick up several objects in your home and tell me, please, what does the "MADE IN..." stamp say on the underside? Not that easy to be committed to unpopular points-of-view in America, huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spooky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spooky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #45
spooky
spooky is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Rumors suggest that the next generation VUE will not be manufactured in Spring Hill, Tennessee, but possibly at a GM plant in Mexico instead. Would you consider buying a Saturn made in Mexico? Post your thoughts.

Thanks for participating,
Charlie
Charlie,
Is this the SAME plant GM I heard was rumored to be built in Mexico City in the mid 1990's? If so how does GM justify outsourcing work to a 3rd world country, like Mexico, that has all sorts of problems none more critical than overt political corruption and covertly sanctioned illegal drug trafficking Into America? Won't this involve Spring Hill lay-offs? How will this impact Spring Hill and Tennesse local economy due to loss of tax income from Saturn? Will this be the causality to incresed Tennessee crime rate as it has been apparent troughout the rest of America recently? What will the Bush administration do to stop this wholly un-American act of disloyalty? Will costly US government-inspired safety recalls be enforceable once Saturn is there? Is this inspired by NAFTA or is it just another un-American "end-run" around taxes and middle-class American salary needs like Stanley Works (Connecticut) tried to pull a couple of years ago? Will their telephone customer service departments wind up in Bangalore (India) like all of the other loyal American company's have done recently? What's happening to America!

So many questions but so few answers...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spooky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spooky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #46
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky
I sympathize with your viewpoint and feel your pain... however, pick up several objects in your home and tell me, please, what does the "MADE IN..." stamp say on the underside? Not that easy to be committed to unpopular points-of-view in America, huh?
In many cases you have no choice. Look at you shoes, clothes, electronics etc. Most are not made in the USA. Dell may assemble PC's here (I believe the laptops are made in the far east) but the parts are mainly from offshore. America is losing it's manufacturing base and this downward slide is continuing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #47
futurevue
futurevue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2002 SL1

Right now I would have to say no. If it actually happened I could change my mind in a few years. After a couple years of being built in Mexico the numbers for quality would be out by then. I wouldn't buy a first year car made out of Mexico. I'm a Detroit girl so I try to pick my car based on how much is American and where it is built. GM, Ford and Chrysler all have their HQ's in the Detroit area so the money they make gets pumped back into the local economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to futurevue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help futurevue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
futurevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #48
lone_wolf
lone_wolf is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

If Saturn goes to Mexico made cars, this will be my first and last Saturn for sure!!!! My previous car, a 02 Z24 Cavalier was made in Mexico, you can tell by the VIN #. In the 3 years I owned it, it rusted horribly, always broke down, never ran right, etc. My gf's 02 Cavalier was made in the US, it still runs strong, and rust free today.. Coincidence? I dunno. But I'm not buying Mexico made cars.

Red 2005 Ion-3 coupe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lone_wolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lone_wolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #49
our03VUE
our03VUE is on a distinguished road

HELL NO!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to our03VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help our03VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
our03VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #50
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnhater2
I'm assuming that the design will still be done in the US.

So... my thoughts are: The high costs of Union Labor have pushed yet another manufacturing operation outside the borders of the USA. Too bad!
Honda and Toyota build cars here and pay as much or more than UAW workers get, and they provide a similar benefits package. It can be done.

But what difference would it make if design went overseas, as well? People seem to think that the white collar positions are immune to outsourcing/offshoring, but they're not. I'd bet many GM engineers make roughly what the assembly plant workers make. Why is it OK if the assembly operations go to a third world country, but not design?

You're right. It is too bad that the jobs that have supported our middle class for so many decades are going overseas. Too bad that two people have to work in the family to make ends meet because two low paying service jobs are needed to replace that one well paying factory job. Yes, that is too bad. We'll all be paying the price for corporate greed eventually. Who will buy their products when there is finally no more credit dollars left to give?

Ed
2005 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 5AT
http://community.webshots.com/user/edwilson13185

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edwilson13185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edwilson13185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edwilson13185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #51
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

I have a Dodge Ram assembled in Mexico so far I only found one bolt that wasn't properly torqued. The fit and finish was good. All the trips this truck has been to the dealer for have been related to engineering issues not poor assembly.

I always figured that Spring Hill was the Heart and Soul of Saturn. I find it hard to believe that a non Saturn automobile would be made there. I hope this is all roomer mongering.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #52
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

For those who think that Japanese made cars don't support poor working conditions, look beyond the car company to the parts suppliers. This may have changed since I learned about it, but at least in the late 80's/early 90's, major japanese automotive companies would purchase their parts from small vendors who often had shops in horrible locations & in horrible conditions. Chemicals not handled properly, etc. The companies used these small vendors to protect themselves from changes in economy - market takes a downturn, these small vendors go out of business. As I said, this may have changed, but I don't know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #53
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwilson13185
Honda and Toyota build cars here and pay as much or more than UAW workers get, and they provide a similar benefits package. It can be done.

But what difference would it make if design went overseas, as well? People seem to think that the white collar positions are immune to outsourcing/offshoring, but they're not. I'd bet many GM engineers make roughly what the assembly plant workers make. Why is it OK if the assembly operations go to a third world country, but not design?

You're right. It is too bad that the jobs that have supported our middle class for so many decades are going overseas. Too bad that two people have to work in the family to make ends meet because two low paying service jobs are needed to replace that one well paying factory job. Yes, that is too bad. We'll all be paying the price for corporate greed eventually. Who will buy their products when there is finally no more credit dollars left to give?
Toyota just opened a plant in Mexico recently

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #54
L-300
L-300 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet
Not for the American price right now.
This country is going to Hell faster every day now
I say that exact same thing every day. with the supreme court voting on the side of big business and instating the law that let's the government take your home if it deems your home empeeds progress by not giving in to the "wal-marts of this country (the government can take your home if big business wants to build a factory or store on your property or neighborhood) this country is turning into communists. WE MUST STAND UP TO THESE TYRANTS!! THIS COUNTRY REALLY IS GOING TO HELL!! THANK GOD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE TO RECONIZE THIS FACT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L-300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L-300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #55
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-300
instating the law that let's the government take your home if it deems your home empeeds progress
You think that's new? lol that's funny. Read up about the highway running through Boston - not the new dig one, but the one that that big tunnel project is replacing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #56
RatLabGuy
RatLabGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwilson13185
I refuse to buy a Saturn/GM vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter, that is assembled in a third world country under substandard labor conditions. It's bad enough that just about every consumer product is built in, or at least has a few parts from, a third world country. If GM ever wants me to buy one of its vehicles again, it has to make me believe that its quality is at least that of the Honda I have now, and it must be built under good labor conditions by workers who are paid well for their time.

It's not just where the entire car is put together, either. If major parts of the car are put together under poor working conditions, they can count me out as well. Engines from China or Mexico, for example.
Um, I hate to be an ass, but Mexico is not by ANY means considered a third world countries, nor is China.
Right up front, I'm a believer in supporting your/our country's economy, so other things being equal buying an American-made product is the way to go.
But the fact of the matter is, it comes down to how much Joe American is willing/expecting to pay for his automotible, and how much that "built in America" sticker is worth to him.
It just costs more to build cars here, that is a fact. Currency value aside (and that's a BIG part of it), a big chunk of the cost is related to this idea of how workers are compensated and treated by the company, and the flipside, what they are willing to put up with to have employment. That is, GM American employees are expensive, b/c they expect decents benefits, retirement, and a good wage (>$10/hour). I'm not saying that's unreasonable; that's just what yer average American considers to be normal. In contrast, Jose Mexican (Joe's counterpart!) is willing to work for much less, and have no benefits - he's just happy to have a job of some kind.
As long as we have standards that are more stringent, it is easier for the company to go to other places. That's just economics and capitolism playing against us.
President Foxe recently goty into a lot of trouble for teh way he said something, but what he meant was completely true - Mexico and Mexicans are getting more work b/c they're willing to do things that Americans are not.

With 200+ Billion electrical parts, the world most impressive machine resides insides you own skull.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RatLabGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RatLabGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RatLabGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:56 PM   #57
PurdueGuy
Master Member

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Some good comments, ratlabguy. Makes me wonder,though, is there such a thing as a second world country? Why do we never hear the terms first and second world country?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #58
SL02Sport
SL02Sport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Would you consider buying a Saturn made in Mexico? Post your thoughts.

Thanks for participating,
Charlie
Before I comment one way or the other, our government, particularly the intellectually-elite folks in the Senate, need to face-the-fire over the miserable -failure- of NAFTA and other so-called "free trade" agreements... which haven't lived-up to the hype. The President and others on Capitol Hill need to start making some serious noise toward trading partners that aren't playing by the rules.

As for Saturn potentially building in Mexico, I say, "Go ahead", but I won't buy one. The Japanese and Koreans employ Americans to build cars to sell to Americans, so let Latin-American countries by Mexican-made Saturns. The next car that I buy will be from a company that has a demonstrated commitment to employing Americans, and if they're with the UAW, that would be a plus. I believe in unions, but as someone else in this thread pointed out, paying a UAW member $35+ an hour is partly why they're headed south-of-the-border in the first place. GM deserves to make a profit and pay -their- retirees, too, without deflating their stock price and jeopardizing their employee pension fund, like what happened with United Airlines. The original Saturn-UAW labor agreement was groundbreaking, and what a shame that both sides elected to abandon rather than re-work it. Now we're back to the same ol' management/union adversarial relationship. IMO, the only way the American automakers and the UAW will survive is to be forward-thinking: throw-down-the-gloves, cooperate as they once did, and keep jobs here in the U.S.!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL02Sport's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL02Sport reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL02Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #59
vinnie_86
vinnie_86 is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Here's my spin on this. I voted "Don't Care." Why, because I will buy a vehicle that meets my needs at the time needed. I bought my '99 SW2 because: I needed something bigger with kids on the way, I liked the fact it was built in the USA, and I like the no haggle buying (I did my research on the net and walked in wtih my printout of exactly what I wanted and said "Find This." I had my car within two days. The car has been great, I'm sure due to the fact it was built in the US. Sadly Saturn has a way of coming out with cars people like after the other makers, that is why I have an '05 Odyssey, Saturn came out with the Relay too late. And the whole corporate greed thing is way out of control. How many jobs could be created or saved if the top tier of these corps. took a pay cut of $1 mil or more a year each? Just how smart are these people at the top anyways? What exactly makes you worth what you earn? I bet you'd never get a direct answer!
Sorry, back to the Mexico thing. If the price dropped to match the labor costs, I might(?) consider buying, but probably would not and look elsewhere. Most likely Chevy. And if you try and buy "AMERICAN", please stay the HELL out of Wal-Mart!! Thanks for letting me vent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vinnie_86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vinnie_86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vinnie_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #60
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Did anyone notice how GM uses actors to portray American GM employees in those GM employee discount ads? Obviously GM wants to have it both ways, pretending to be a US company supporting US jobs while in actuality moving jobs out of the country.

A more realistic commercial would show a bunch of Mexicans saying, "You pay what we pay. Oh wait, I forgot, I can't afford a GM car even with the discount because I only make $1.50 an hour!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote