SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2005, 03:43 AM   #1
tgferg67global
tgferg67global will become famous soon enoughtgferg67global will become famous soon enough

Default 97 SC1 partial throttle surging/power loss

I have some acceleration problems I can't pinpoint. No SES light.
Under partial throttle, the car slightly misses when cold and and gets much worse when warmed up. When warmed up, under partial throttle, the car loses power and surges/bucks like horsepower is cutting in and out.
Idle, cruising and full throttle are normal.

New items
*Plugs(NGK)
*Wires(Double-Silicone-Autozone)
*Coil Packs(Wells)
*O2 sensor front(Bosch Universal)
*Fuel Filter
*Fuel pump replaced 35,000 miles ago at dealer.

Things I have tried
*Fuel injector cleaner
*Blocked off EGR and problem persisted.
*ECTS is brass already but not sure how old it is.
*Cleaned/Removed throttle body and IAC
*Cleaned sludge from MAP sensor orfice.
*Inspected/Cleaned all connectors and grounds.
*Seafoam combustion chamber cleaner.

Where should I go from here?
Throttle position sensor?
DIS module?
Map sensor?
ECTS (even though mine is brass already)?
Fuel pressure regulator?
Alternator(doesn't seem likely since problem gets worse when warmed up)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tgferg67global's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tgferg67global reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tgferg67global is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2005, 04:36 AM   #2
tgferg67global
tgferg67global will become famous soon enoughtgferg67global will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 97 SC1 partial throttle surging/power loss

I forgot to mention the car is an automatic.
After the car is warmed up the loss of power under partial throttle is so bad that I have to press the gas pedal 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down to accelerate normally compare to just barely touching the gas pedal to get the same power when the car is cold. The whole time this is happening the car surges with more and less power.

Could it be a weird transmission problem such as the torque convertor cutting in and out and/or wrong gear selection masking itself as an engine problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tgferg67global reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Throttle Position Sensor

I'd take off and replace the TPS, for years ago, when I replaced my unit, I actually opened up the old unit and found that there was an area on the arch swing, where there was a loss of contact. This may be the case with your unit.
It does wear down.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
tgferg67global

Default Re: Throttle Position Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I'd take off and replace the TPS, for years ago, when I replaced my unit, I actually opened up the old unit and found that there was an area on the arch swing, where there was a loss of contact. This may be the case with your unit.
It does wear down.
Wouldn't a bad contact show up when revving up the engine out of gear?
When I do this no bad spot shows up. The drivability problem seems to occur under load. Do you know if all the TPS is just a potentiometer(like a volume knob on a radio) or is there more to it than that and it could fail another way under load that wouldn't show up when revving the engine up out of gear?

Last edited by tgferg67global; 07-04-2005 at 03:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

> Global <
Very good point; The "load" issue has me stomped.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
tgferg67global

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
> Global <
Very good point; The "load" issue has me stomped.
Looking through some posts didn't you have a crank position sensor that was causing drivability problems for you?

I just bought a multimeter and will be testing my sensors. Funny feeling that everything will be within range

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Did you clean up your coilpack bolts? My car used to hesitate and kind of jerk a little while driving at partial throttle. It was unnoticeable while revving in neutral. After cleaning the bolts off w/ my bench grinder brush it was VERY smooth.

That may be your problem...

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
> Global <
> didn't you have a crank position sensor that was causing drivability problems for you? <
Yes, and now I have a back-up unit, hoever, when that fails, the engine will not run at all. It will simply shut down. The engine will turn over when you attempt to start it, but will not start. That would not be your issue.
Quote:
> SOHC <
> Did you clean up your coilpack bolts? <
Nice alert -- didn't even think of that. We do continue to learn...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 07-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
tgferg67global

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
Did you clean up your coilpack bolts? My car used to hesitate and kind of jerk a little while driving at partial throttle. It was unnoticeable while revving in neutral. After cleaning the bolts off w/ my bench grinder brush it was VERY smooth.

That may be your problem...
Yes I dipped them in muriatic acid along with other rusty ground fastners.
They are completely silver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Tps ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2005, 01:27 AM   #11
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

a bad TPS can be tested with a ohmmeter/multimeter.

i can see a bad TPS only showing up under load, remember it is consided the "driver demand" sensor. in park/neutral you aren't "demanding" any power, you have no load, the PCM is only injecting enought fuel to match the airflow and RPM, it is not enriching the A/F for added power, as it would if you were actually accerating.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #12
tgferg67global

Well I swapped out the TPS sensor with one from a junk yard and the problem still exists. The TPS sensor was fine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2005, 08:27 PM   #13
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

reset your computer by unplugging the negative battery cable for a few minutes. (get your radio security codes before you do this)

You usually need to do this whenever you change a sensor out (like ECTS) if you didn't it could just be the problem. Also try cleaning the ports that lead to your EGR as well as the EGR just to be sure. Cuz I really can't think of much else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
tgferg67global

I never posted the resolution to this problem.
It had something to do with the map sensor. I replaced it and also noticed the area behind the sensor in the intake was packed full of oil with a "grease like" consistancy. I took off the vacuum hose underneath the sensor and sprayed carburator cleaner in the map sensor hole in the intake. Gobs of partially solidified oil came out the vaccum hose outlet on the bottom of the intake. So between the new map sensor and cleaning out the "cavity" caked with oil behind the sensor, the problem was resolved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!