SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
KellysVue
KellysVue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Clutch Pedal Height

Well, yesterday I traded my 03 Vti for a 2005 manual. It's Dragonfly Green. I miss my cool orange tigger car, but I LOVE my new Vue already. I am having a problem that is worrying me though....

I have a very bad right knee (will eventually be having a knee replacement.) But hey, no problem, clutch is on the left. So here's the problem I didn't see coming. The position of the clutch and how far it has to be depressed (to the floor, which I assume is normal) compared to how far the accelerator and brake pedal need to be depressed makes it so that to have the seat close enough that I can push the clutch all the way in it is WAY to close for the comfort of my right knee for the gas and brake pedals!

I'm only 5' 10", but I wear 36" inseam jeans. I have long legs. I had the seat all the way back in my 03 vti and still needed another inch. To be able to fully depress the clutch my knees are up under my chin, but to have the seat back at a comfortable distance I can barely get the ends of shoe on the pedal to get the clutch all the way in and then I'm sitting kinds turned in seat and that's even more uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any ideas? Can the clutch pedal be adjusted so that it sticks out farther? Can it be adjusted so that it doesn't have to go all the way to the floor? I hate to rewind this Vue, I really love it, but if I'm going to have to, I want to do it ASAP. They have an auto 4 FWD in blue. I really don't know what to do. I'm going to the service department tomorrow to see about adjustments. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I really don't know what to do. I only have 53 miles on this Vue so far! I feel like such an idiot. I NEVER thought that my right knee would have anything to do with my decision to get a manual!! I don't know if it was excitement, stupidity, or what. I'm just really frustated and totally pissed off at myself.

Sorry for the rant!

Kelly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KellysVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KellysVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KellysVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Clutch Pedal Height

Take another manual Vue out for a test drive and see if there is any difference. If both Vues are the same then I would think the best course of action would be to install a thick pad or block on the clutch pedal to get it closer to you. (I dont recall it being adjustable).

Did your 2003 Vue have a VTI transmission or the 3.0 V6?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
KellysVue
KellysVue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

It was a vti. I like to keep cars for a long time, but wasn't willing to take a gamble on my vti after the warranty runs out. With the 06's being so dang ugly and the good deal and trade in I got, I went for it.

I'm going to the dealership this afternoon, I didn't think about trying another one, thanks for the idea! I hope I can make this work, I'd rather have this dragonfly green manual than a blue 4 fwd, but I know I'll love my new Vue as much as I loved my old. Probably even more!

Kelly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KellysVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KellysVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KellysVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Ghostrider
Advanced Member
Ghostrider is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain. I have bad knees too, and that's one reason I like the Vue; I don't have to sit way down like a car, or climb up like a truck. If you really like the manual Vue, it's no problem to add an extender to the clutch. The dealer may even do it for you if they don't have their own alternative.

http://www.creativecontrolsinc.com/pedal-extenders/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghostrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghostrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #5
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Are you SURE that the clutch has to be depressed the entire way down? I vaguely remembered from when I had a fwd4 manual, but I don't think it has to be pressed as far as you think.

'99 Volvo S70 GLT
'07 Camry SE V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Ken Baker
Ken Baker is on a distinguished road

Yes it has to be pressed all the way. It is difficult to get into gear if it isn't. I have noticed this on a number of occassions when I get abit lazy. If the vehicle is stopped and the clutch is off the floor just abit it is difficult if not impossible to get into gear. Push the clutch peddle down all the way and it shifts as smooth as butter. It is the same while moving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken Baker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Baker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ken Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #7
CaTiRo
CaTiRo is on a distinguished road

yeah he's right the clutch does have to be pressed down a good bit. try other seating positions to see if that works. i notice if i go up/back a notch from my normaly position it feels a little weird for me. and i'm 5'10. whenever my wife drives she moves the seats and sometimes i have a hard time finding my position. its so easy to skip a notch on these seats.

2000 Honda Civic Si -- [I]SOLD[/I]
2004 Saturn Vue (white)
2004 Honda Civic Ex

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaTiRo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaTiRo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaTiRo is offline   Reply With Quote