SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default June sales figures are in

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...16338#contacts

Interesting that the Cobalt has outsold the Ion almost 3:1, the Equinox only outsold the Vue by less than 2:1. Also, the Vue outsold the Ion by about 50%.
The Uplander outsold the Relay by about 7:1.
Saturn as a whole was up about 33% from June of last year, but still down nearly 8% for the year.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1
Default Re: June sales figures are in

Looks like the employee sale really spawned a buying frenzy especially in the upscale sectors and light truck sectors of GM

Truck sales up 70%

Hummer sales up 198.6%

Cadillac up 63.8%

GMC up 84.8%

Saab up 57.2%

I guess the more you spend the more you would save with the employee discount or at least that is what the figures show

I wonder if Pontiac (-17.4%) will follow Olds to the grave?

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Perhaps a good part of Saturn's -8% were from the loss of the full L-Series range?

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Looks good for Saturn. I predict ION sales will be flat or gradually fall until the new model for 07 arrives. Relay will increase in sales, as it has been doing well. The 06 VUE will be a big seller over 05.

I can't wait to see what calendar year 2008 will show for Saturn. All the new models will be readily available. It looks like Saturn can hang on until then.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
HighV0lt6ge
HighV0lt6ge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
I can't wait to see what calendar year 2008 will show for Saturn. All the new models will be readily available. It looks like Saturn can hang on until then.

Saturn isnt going anywhere for a while. With all the money GM is pumping into Saturn (Aura, Sky, New Vue, New Ion, Bigger SUV) they arnt going to give up for a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HighV0lt6ge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HighV0lt6ge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HighV0lt6ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Elsongs
Elsongs is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Don't blame me, I bought one in June!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elsongs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elsongs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:26 AM   #7
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwill
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...16338#contacts

Interesting that the Cobalt has outsold the Ion almost 3:1, the Equinox only outsold the Vue by less than 2:1. Also, the Vue outsold the Ion by about 50%.
The Uplander outsold the Relay by about 7:1.
Saturn as a whole was up about 33% from June of last year, but still down nearly 8% for the year.
As I see it the VUE is keeping Saturn afloat.I wonder how much of those VUE sales were due to the V6 Honda motors?Maybe Saturn is on to something here?Would the Aura with a import engine make for a sure success?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #8
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt
Would the Aura with a import engine make for a sure success?
L and Vue's (before the Honda engine) had an import engine and it didn't make for a sure success with those models.
Most people who buy a car can barely recognize the engine, much less care where it came from.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo
L and Vue's (before the Honda engine) had an import engine and it didn't make for a sure success with those models.
Most people who buy a car can barely recognize the engine, much less care where it came from.
I dont buy that arguement. Most all the comments about the 05 VUE by the reviewers about its Honda engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwill
Equinox only outsold the Vue by less than 2:1.
Even though the motor for the Equinox was built in China

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #11
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

How is Olds still selling cars??? They sold 5 Sillouhettes and about 130 or so Bravadas in June of 05?!?!?!?

Old Old's dealers still have stock left???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todaresqSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todaresqSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

There were probably some multi-line dealerships that had some Olds left over. I go by a small Olds-Subaru dealership in Herndon, VA alot. He still had a Bravada and a few Silloettes (not sure how you spell that) left just recently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #13
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by todaresqSL2
How is Olds still selling cars??? They sold 5 Sillouhettes and about 130 or so Bravadas in June of 05?!?!?!?

Old Old's dealers still have stock left???

I thought that was bizarre also....I guess it shows you how well they were doing in the end.....looks like Pontiac is next.....The G6 would make a good Saturn re-badge

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As I see it the VUE is keeping Saturn afloat.I wonder how much of those VUE sales were due to the V6 Honda motors?Maybe Saturn is on to something here?Would the Aura with a import engine make for a sure success?
Hmmm, but I thought that Saturn was supposed to be GM's "import fighter", not some rebadged import? Also, GM has been selling rebadged Toyotas made at the GM/Toyota NUMMI joint venture in Fremont CA for 20 years:

The early Corolla outsold the mechanically similar Nova.
The later Corolla also outsold the mechanically similar GEO/Chevy Prism.
The nearly identical Matrix made there currently outsells the Pontiac Vibe.

These "twins", made on the same production line by the same workers out of the same parts, have uniformly been distinguished in a couple ways: the Toyota versions, on top of always outselling the GM versions, have always commanded a higher selling price when new, and have always retained re-sale value better.

I guess, if GM really wants to beat Toyota and Honda, maybe they can finally do it by sneaking into their dealerships all over America and sticking those new GM badges on all the Accords , CIVICs, Corollas, and Camrys?

(Sorry, Walt! I couldn't resist taking a poke at GM. I'm just another disappointed Saturn Fan.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
100KSW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

i still don't see how the Eek outsold the Vue and the Cobalt outsold the Ion, maybe it's geographic or something? i see far more Vues than Eeks and the only Cobalts i seen have to be rentals.

Lorie helped those June sales figures......she bought her Ion QC on the 7th of June...chalk one up for Saturn...u go girl!!!!!

Side note: JD Power ranked the Eek as the "best entry level SUV". What about the Vue? More options, better looks, polymer? To me that award should've gone to the Vue!

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #16
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I don't think its the fact that the VUE's V6 is made by Honda that makes it so desirable. It's that it is incrediably powerful and efficient.

But I do think many people buy it because it's made by Honda, but just not the majority.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #17
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

I agree with spencerb--it's the best-in-class power that people like, combined with very good fuel economy.
Plus, VUE's are more common now than they were 2, 3 years ago...so people are more likely to see them and be interested in it.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:13 AM   #18
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
The VUE has always done well, even prior to the Honda V6 getting dropped in it, so I don't know that it has a ton to do with that.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:34 AM   #19
walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
I agree with spencerb--it's the best-in-class power that people like, combined with very good fuel economy.
Plus, VUE's are more common now than they were 2, 3 years ago...so people are more likely to see them and be interested in it.
Suppose the VUE had as powerful motor as the Honda but instead it was manufactured by KIA. Do you still think the VUE sales would still be as good?I think the Honda name carries a lot of clout. True VUEs are more common now ,but dont forget the VUE now has a brother it must share it popularity with in its own price range and from the same family.I think the Honda engine along with the red line package has put the VUE in the popular position it is in currently.Where else can you get a American performance suv,with import drive train reliability under 25 grand?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Old 07-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #20
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

I would argue that it's not so much that its a Honda engine as its power, NVH characteristics, and the fact that typically this engine is installed in vehicles costing much more money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haypops is offline   Reply With Quote