SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 04:27 PM   #1
drewsl2

Default anti-theft

Any suggestions on keeping my car (and the stuff in it) mine? I have a 94 sl2 anniversary edition. i had an aftermarket alarm installed but i am now forced to park the car on surface of a metro pittsburgh univeristy campus (parking office messed up my permit, and thus my garage spot). i try to park in the "good" spots, but im still concerned.

any input is appreciated.

--drew

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drewsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drewsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2001, 06:00 PM   #2
YELO_SC2
YELO_SC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Sad

My only suggestion would be not to place any belongings in the cabin of the car. Make sure you put everything that is not attached into the trunk where it cannot be seen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YELO_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YELO_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2001, 06:14 PM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Maybe if you put a big sign on your car that says "Please steal me" people will wonder what's going on and will avoid your car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2001, 09:47 PM   #4
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

While they are easily defeatable, the club or something like that is a nice visual deterrent for the lazy thief. These are cheap.

You may want to look into an ignition immobilizer switch - these require some sort of code or button to be pushed in order to override the result of the ignition being ripped out and the car started with a screwdriver.

Don't leave cords, radar monitoring devices, purses, change or anything like that out in the open view. If you have to stash valuables, stash them from somewhere else and then drive to your destination. Thieves case parking lots and look for people stashing stuff.

Get involved in your student government and try to have them make the school put video surveillance in the parking lot under the guise of student safety. These systems are cheap and there is probably a grant for them anyhow.

Also, park near lights. Thieves don't like lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2001, 09:56 PM   #5
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

My college campus just spent $125,000 on a campus video survelance system. Just about 99.9% of the student think it was a waste of money. There simply aren't enough on campus crimes to warrant it. Yes, a couple of cars get broken into every week, but so far the video system hasn't stopped anyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2001, 02:15 AM   #6
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

hehe... our school invested in wonderful rotating cameras. Unfortunately, it took over a minute to make a complete cycle. One year, a girl was attacked (although nothing bad happened to her since two students scared the guy off) -- none of it was captured on tape though since the camera was rotating the other way. So much for security!

Anyway, you could probably never spend too much money when it comes to security. I would throw a computer in the trunk and slap on a CDPD modem. Put some cameras in the car and have it store to the disk as well as backhaul the images across the wireless link. You could also throw a GPS in the system if you are worried about your car being stolen. Perhaps even put a microphone and digitize in mp3 format at something like 8kbps. You could also write all this data into a "blackbox" placed in a secure area.

Although i havent specifically intended it for car security, i have done them all seperately and it worked out very well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread