SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2
Default Friend in need...

So my friend has a 96' SL1. He doesnt exactly take the best care of it, although he does basic oil changes and he doesnt drive hard at all. Anyway, so he tells me he has been having problems lately. When driving, under moderate acceleration, he can hear " whirling sound" that seems to get louder as rpms increase. He also mentioned after this started happening it would occasionally shoot up in rpms sporadically for a second or so.

I was thinkin it is probably a belt-driven accessory (alternator, water pump, etc) that is causing the whirling sound, as it increases under rpms. I believe he has never replaced the ECTS, this could be the cause of the RPMS shooting up occasionally correct? Although he says his engine temp gauge is working fine.

From what you've read, do you think i'm going in the right direction? I'm gonna have a look at it thursday and see what I can do, before he goes and pays a mechanic to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
rkuris
rkuris is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: Friend in need...

The whirring sound could be tires or a bad CV joint. How is it going around turns?

The ECTS is very likely to be the engine RPM problem. Check in the HOWTO forum for details on how to replace it (it is a sticky there).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rkuris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rkuris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rkuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2
Default Re: Friend in need...

I got to ride it in today the the sound seems to be distinctly coming from the engine. I'll let you guys know what I find this thursday...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote