SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
poifect
poifect is on a distinguished road

Sad changed plugs in my sc1 now no start

changed the plugs in my sc1 1997 car ran for a couple of days now it is not starting at all smells as if it is flooding oil smells of fuel car turns over but does not start please I need help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poifect's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poifect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
poifect is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: changed plugs in my sc1 now no start

Work backwards from plugs-figure those are good, but pull one or two to check to see. Check wires, Then check for spark, check coil packs. Check fuses, etc....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

what brand of plug did you use? what gap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:03 AM   #4
Noobsaturndude
Noobsaturndude is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

yea also did you do each plug one at a time as not to mess the fireing order up? but I would check the gap I belive its suposed to be gaped at .40 but im not 100% sure if thats right. also did you change anything else or just the plugs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Noobsaturndude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Noobsaturndude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Noobsaturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:20 AM   #5
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC

Gap is .040". Firing order should be 4-1-2-3 as you face the engine. Both should also be indicated on the radiator support sticker. If it still won't start, take both wires off one of the coil packs, have an assistant crank the engine, and see if you get spark between the two exposed towers.

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
rkuris
rkuris is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

One other possible cause: if you pulled on the wire instead of the boot, you may have damaged the spark plug wires. You might want to check them to verify that they have the proper resistance. If not, replace them! You should have checked the resistance anyway when you were replacing the plugs. If you don't have a multitester, get one; they aren't all that expensive and come in handy for other purposes anyway. Here's an example, although you can probably find one cheaper:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=22-223

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rkuris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rkuris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rkuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
ud503j
ud503j is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
2002 SL2

Make sure the plugs are also properly seated and didn't get crossthreaded on installation. Under and/or overtightening them could cause an issue too.

1997 SW2 --> 'Vi'
g/f's 2002 SL2 --> 'Raven'

R4V3n SP33D's boytoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ud503j's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ud503j reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ud503j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
poifect

Sad Re: changed plugs in my sc1 now no start

I also changed the plug wires at the same time. car started for a couple of days and now won't I removed 1 plug at a time so I believe the wires are in the right order but I will double check and let u know thank you foor your time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help poifect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:06 AM   #9
poifect

I used champion plugs when I changed them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2005, 09:20 AM   #10
poifect

Dazed Re: changed plugs in my sc1 now no start

I am able to get the car to start but I still smell fuel quite badly and the car ran poorly on start just chugged alot then leveled off thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poifect
I used champion plugs when I changed them
I would recommend, as well as many other here, to use NGK V power plugs.
They seem to work best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Are the plugs tight? They may have loosened up badly. This is the only thing I can come up with since the car ran for a few days and now there is a raw fuel smell.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:40 AM   #13
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

remove O2 sensor and test drive, if performance increases a restricted exhaust is to blame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #14
poifect

my car is now starting badly and is over heating My daughters boyfriend says that the catylitic converter is bad if so what would be my options to make it run better

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Wrench Re: changed plugs in my sc1 now no start

Overheating? I don't think a Catalyic converter needs to be replaced....try putting in a new ECTS...and check your threading on the spark plugs again as well as wiring them in the proper firing order. Change your PCV valve as well.

Are you getting an SES light on? Check for codes too...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:16 PM   #16
poifect

where is the ects. also where is the pvc valve located I aprediate everyones help on the problems I am having with my vehicle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
rkuris

1995 SL2

It sounds to me like you might have several problems, and so you need to do several tests.

The first problem is the car not running. That's a separate (and more serious) problem than the car overheating.

I'd suggest removing the O2 sensor and seeing if that makes the car run better. If so, then you have an exhaust problem (like the catalytic converter or the muffler). It is easily accessible. It's in the front of the engine, right on the exhaust manifold. Just remove it, and see if the car starts/runs better. Other than it being a bit noiser. (Don't run very long like this, it is just for testing).

The overheating problem is often the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor). It is a bit tricker to remove and replace. Check here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24003 and here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37884 for photos and detailed instructions.

One thing to do when your car is thinking about overheating. TURN ON THE AIR CONDITIONER just for a second regardless of the outside temps. This will always turn on the cooling fan for the engine. Some people use a switch so they can manually do it, I just hit the AC button for a second.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rkuris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #18
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Wrench Re: changed plugs in my sc1 now no start

PCV location....

When you stand over the engine from the front of the car, it will be visible with a small hose attached to it at the back part of the top of the cam cover, closer to the driver's side of the car. You simply pull it out, detach the small hose that is attached to it, put a new OEM PCV valve from Saturn in, and reinsert back into the cam cover.

The ECTS is located on the driver's side on the side of the engine block, depending. I believe on the 97 model year, it has the wiring clip that has 2 wires coming out of it. You can only change the ECTS on a COLD engine!!! The car must have a cold engine (preferably sitting overnight). You detach the wire clip (be care not to break it), and take a 13 MM deep socket wrench to change over from the plastic to brass tip. You WILL loose coolant, but don't be alarmed, you can replace that.

Check the how to section. There are pictures posted in the how to on both of these that will probably have pictures.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:30 PM   #19
rkuris

1995 SL2

Oops, missed one answer. Just as a normal routine maintenance item, the PCV valve should be cleaned or replaced. If it is plugged up, you can get some nasty symptoms. Here's a link on how to fix that:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35214

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #20
poifect

I just went out and found where the pcv valve was when I pulled the hose off I noted that the hose has cracks in it do I need to change the hose. the cracks are all the way through the hose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!