SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
BullyCanadian
BullyCanadian has a spectacular aura aboutBullyCanadian has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Intermittent Service Engine Soon problem

Comes on once in a while, whilst driving at a constant speed. I finally got all the repairs done (Rad, water pump, number suspension items) Now its on to this. Any idea if 92 saturns store codes? Cause it generally turns off as I come to a stop or slow down/accelerate.

What can I do? Take to saturn and pay the $100 to diagnose it?

1992 Saturn SL2 has been sold as of June 2007...
2003 4.6L v8 Mustang 5speed Sold as of March 2014...
Daily Driver ... 2003 i4 5speed Vue
Mileage Currently @ (09/30/2014) 268,000 km (166,500 mi)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BullyCanadian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BullyCanadian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BullyCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: Intermittent Service Engine Soon problem

Well ur canadian so jump over to partsource and theyll read the code for free...and if the 92 doesnt store codes theyres a good how-to in the tech section explaining how to "jump start" your computer into giving up the codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_new_raceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_new_raceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
BullyCanadian
BullyCanadian has a spectacular aura aboutBullyCanadian has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_new_raceman
Well ur canadian so jump over to partsource and theyll read the code for free...and if the 92 doesnt store codes theyres a good how-to in the tech section explaining how to "jump start" your computer into giving up the codes.
I called part source and they said none of their locations do that! Ok, I'll try the thing in the how - to section and try that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BullyCanadian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 AM   #4
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Thats really odd...i go to the one in Barrie and they do it for me all the time. Maybe its only selected locations that do it. Now once you get the codes remember to post them on here if you dont know what the codes are. Also disconnect the negative battery terminal for like 15 seconds to clear the code. Like i said though its odd that the location you called said they dont do it...i always thought partsource was the canadian version of autozone which does it at all their locations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_new_raceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_new_raceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

You should be able to read the codes yourself on a 1992, and yes it does store them.

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

ok I just tried it, it doesnt store codes, it kept giving me code 12 for like 5 minutes,

So how can I get it? The light ONLY turns on when driving at a constant speed, it never just stays lit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyCanadian
ok I just tried it, it doesnt store codes, it kept giving me code 12 for like 5 minutes,

So how can I get it? The light ONLY turns on when driving at a constant speed, it never just stays lit.
It will store it if you didn't unplug your battery.
If it popped up since the last unplug, you may want to pull the owners manual out.
I have read that it will come on intermittently if it is time for maintenance. The owners manual should show you what needs to be done and how to reset it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa
It will store it if you didn't unplug your battery.
If it popped up since the last unplug, you may want to pull the owners manual out.
I have read that it will come on intermittently if it is time for maintenance. The owners manual should show you what needs to be done and how to reset it.
and it was on, today (right before checking it) and yesterday also
The battery was dissconnected for a bit last weekend, but not since.

ya I gotta go and buy the owners manual, my bro stupidly threw it out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

ok I got the service codes today they were 26, and 32, and according to the link abover they are:
32 EGR system fault. Fuel mixture did not change when EGR solenoid was commanded ON and OFF.

26 Any of the quad-driver module circuits had an open or short for 25 seconds

How do I fix these?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
poorboy
poorboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

95% sure the EGR solinoid is bad. Easy fix. Remove old solinoid and replace with new. Its located by the EGR vavle.

Good Luck

94 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poorboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poorboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #11
rkuris
rkuris is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Sounds like your EGR is bad. The quad input code 90% of the time means EGR, and since you have an EGR error code also, the odds are almost conclusive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rkuris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rkuris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rkuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #12
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy
95% sure the EGR solinoid is bad. Easy fix. Remove old solinoid and replace with new. Its located by the EGR vavle.

Good Luck
I'm a noob :S where is the EGR valve exactly? And would taking this part from my parts car be ok?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:33 AM   #13
rkuris

1995 SL2

Can you tell us which model you have, single or dual overhead cam, etc?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rkuris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #14
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuris
Can you tell us which model you have, single or dual overhead cam, etc?
1992 SL2 Dual Overhead came, ~100k Miles, new rad, new alternator, SES sign has been coming one for last 2 months ~ 1500k (km), and just got the error codes this morning

parts car is a 1993 SL2 ~ 160k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #15
poorboy
poorboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

You need to fix code 26 first. Since code 32 is also present, that leads me to believe it is the EGR solenoid. It is located on the drivers side attached to the valve cover. The EGR valve looks like a big round silver object with a vaccum line runnin to it. The vacuum line runs to the solenoid. The solenoid also has an electrical connector on it. For the specs on the solenoid check this site out http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...es/dtc/26.html

Good Luck.

94 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poorboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poorboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
jlevino
jlevino is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
1991 SC

On a 92 SL2, the EGR valve and solenoid are located on the top of the engine, right next to the valve cover on the driver side of the engine. (The valve looks like a gold or silver "mushroom" with a vacuum line coming out of the top.) The solenoid is right above the valve and is super-easy to remove and replace. As has been said before, if you have a 26 and 32, you're almost gauranteed that it's the EGR solenoid. Cost is ~$30 USD plus shipping from saturnparts.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jlevino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jlevino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jlevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM   #17
rkuris

1995 SL2

I think the EGR solenoid is the same on both models. You can pull it and make sure they look the same.

Note that the EGR does seem to go out since the E stands for Exhaust, which means HOT, so there's a chance that the valve is the same.

One easy way to check is to go to, say, napaonline.com and do a parts search. The part number for the '92 is CRB226026, and do the same for the '93 and make sure you get the same part number.

There's a picture of the EGR there also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #18
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

question, did I do any damage driving roughly 1500km's with the light coming on and off every now and then?

BTW thanks for the help, I am gonna get to it this evening

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #19
rkuris

1995 SL2

Other than additional contributions to greenhouse gasses, probably not. The main point of the EGR is to reduce NOx emissions. So, you'd probably fail a smog check with too high NOx levels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!