SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 06-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
schematicpiping
schematicpiping is on a distinguished road

Default SW2 won't start! Fuel Pump?

Hey!

I own a 1995 Saturn SW2 with 150k. I recently had a problem where the car just died. The car would turn over, but it wouldn't catch. Sometimes it would barely get a rev in, but then it would die back to the starter. I had a spark.

So, we disconnected the fuel lines, turned over the car, saw that no fuel was leaving the lines, so we changed the filter. Tried to start it, but it still wouldnt catch. Then we changed the pump. This time, it started, and after coughing up all the air in the lines, it ran like a dream.

However, 1 mile down the road, it began to loose power. By 2 miles, the gas pedel stopped responding, and again, back to ground zero. It turns over, but doesn't catch.

By the way, I did all the work myself.

Curious as to why this is happening, I pulled out the old pump that I threw away, and attached it to 12 volts. It tried to turn, but couldnt. I reversed the polarities to unstick it, then normalized them, and it somewhat ran. But I think it was running much slower than it should have. (So it would appear that yes, the pump was bad, and replacing the pump did do something.)

So, what is actually wrong? Is it a computer problem, causing the fuel pump to die? Or maybe a harness problem?

Thank you SO much for your help.

Jeff Ott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schematicpiping's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schematicpiping reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
schematicpiping is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
schematicpiping

Default Re: SW2 won't start! Fuel Pump?

[EDIT] Just thought of something. The second time the car broke down, I checked to see if there was fuel pressure. I disconnected the fuel line from the filter to the engine, and, yes, there was plenty of fuel pressure (and yeah, that probably wasn't a good idea to do that). But now, the next day, there is no fuel in the line, even when the car is turning over.

Which makes me think. If there was pressure in the line, while i was on the side of the road, why wouldnt it start up? It sounded like it almost wanted too, but, it seemed like there was plenty enough pressure in that line to feed the engine.

This is too wierd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help schematicpiping reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

Wish I could help you with this but I really don't know. I doubt that resetting the computer by unhooking the negative battery terminal would help---because I'm sure you did that when working on the car in the first place. (Same with installing the fuel filter) Hey, check for gas line blockage or leaks! Could you have twisted the gas line when installing the fuel filter? Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful. Good luck,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
schematicpiping

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to follow the fuel line tomarrow and maybe (hopefully) I'll find a twist. Also, if there was a blockage in the line, any idea how I'd find it?

However, I still think it must be something more complicated. I was reading around and remember someone having trouble with starting a car and problems with with the fuel pump, and someone mentioned replacing a computer chip, if i remember right. I'm not much of a mechanic, but, a bad chip causing a pump to fail would kinda make sense. I don't really know, however. Just throwing out ideas.

Anyone else have a spark of inspiration?

Thanks so much guys. I wish I found this forum sooner. What a good group of people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2005, 03:06 AM   #5
truteck1
truteck1 is on a distinguished road

Examine your Spark plugs, if they are crappy, replace them.
Check out the spark wires too.
If they are old, replace them.
Also, remove & clean your EGR valve.
Are you not getting a "service" warning light?

Truteck1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to truteck1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help truteck1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
truteck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:20 AM   #6
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Check the pump function before the filter.
There may be a check valve in the filter that is keeping it from flowing.
Did you install the filter in the correct direction? (assuming that the threads are the same on both ends). It may be also that you just have gotten a dud fuel pump, but I would check the function first before pulling the tank again.

If you have fuel pressure, check your spark plug wires, plugs and ignition module. Saturn uses plug 4 to simulate a crank position sensor, so if the wires or ignition module or coil pack goes bad, it won't fire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
LeGreatOne
LeGreatOne is on a distinguished road

Did you check the fuel pump and fuel injection fuses and/or relays? If a fuse or relay fails, you'll likely get no power to the pump, or the injectors will not operate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LeGreatOne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LeGreatOne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LeGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
schematicpiping

The wires are new, but, I'll check the plugs. You never know, I guess.

How would I check the "pump function" ?

Thanks guys, again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
schematicpiping

[UPDATE]

Okay, so, today I decided to troubleshoot the fuel pump. Since there was no fuel pressure after the filter (even in AUX [Thats what it is called right? The key setting right before ignition]) , I decided to see if there was pressure before the filter. So, I disconnected the 3 fuel lines coming from the tank (I really don't want to drop the tank again, a 2nd day in a row), had my mother put it in AUX and then turn it over, and still, no fuel. There was residual fuel in the lines when I disconnected them, but no pressure.

So, further following this, I listened to the fuel tank as my mother put it in AUX. I was hoping to hear the little whine of the fuel pump, but, blah, I got a rather different noise. As she turned it into AUX, I heard a rather strange thump, and then a smaller thump 1 second after that. Almost sounds as if the pump is sticking.

So... When I replaced the pump I didn't replace the screen (too much $ $ for the whole package) but it was very clean, so I doubt that there is junk in my tank that has somehow killed two pumps.

When I put the pump assembly back together, I was suprized that the orange cylinder case didn't snap together. Rather, it seemed like it was just held together against the internal spring by the top of the tank cap and the bottom of the tank. Maybe, <i>maybe</i> it was put back together wrong? I highly doubt it however. I'm also very certain the wiring was put on + to +. - to -.

I dont know why, but I still wonder if it could be a computer problem, causing the pump to fail.

Any other suggestions? I'm going to now try to reset the computer, check the plugs, and well, pray. I really don't think its a fuel line kink, and I know it isnt a leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

Not sure about the "AUX" but if you turn the key to the "ON" position without actually turning the car over you should be able to hear the fuel pump motor----if that's what you mean. If you don't hear the pump, you've really narrowed your problem down! Good luck,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote