SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
L300GATTLINGGUN
L300GATTLINGGUN is on a distinguished road

Default Aura Redline to get 300hp 3.6 DOHC direct injection engine?

I have a friend who works for Adam Opel AG
in Germany. He claims that the Vectra will have a 3.6 liter 300hp
direct injection DOHC by the end of 2007.
Is this the same engine that Aura redline will be getting?
Wouldn't that put Aura to close to the Cadillac CTS
which is rumored to be getting a 305 direct injection technology 3.6 liter DOHC engine?

anyone else know anymore more details on the Aura redline?

If this is the engine thats really going to make a lot of people happy.
Although it won't have the same torque as the 5.3 liter LS4 engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300GATTLINGGUN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300GATTLINGGUN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L300GATTLINGGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Aura Redline to get 300hp 3.6 DOHC direct injection engine?

Will there be an Aura Redline? I haven't paid much attention to the Aura... to be honest, from what I saw at NAIAS, the styling direction has taken a huge step in the wrong direction from the 03+ L series. Then again, everyone out there but me hates the looks of the '03+ L series.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Well, I'd imagine that any redline version of the Aura would be atleast $30,000. I mean, they're not going to make a car that's more desirable than a Pontiac G6 GTP and then sell it for less money than the G6.
At $30,000 it seems reasonable considering the pricing stategies most car companies have. At that price range, you're looking at only needing to spend a few grand more and you've got a Caddy CTS with the same engine. So, do you want the FWD psuedo-sports semi-mainstreamer sedan, or do you want GM's answer to the BMW 3-series for a few grand more and comparble straightline performance?
Heck, I think it would be really interesting to see GM phase out their High-Value engines, make the 2.8L Caddy the base V6 for the entire corporation, and keep the direct-injection version for the base Caddy engine, and offer the 3.6L as it currently stands across the board, and make the direct injection version available on the most expensive models throughout each of the brands.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Bob, you're probably correct in your assessment. Let us examine the Sol/Sky relationship for a moment. The Solstice is a bit more bare bones than the Sky, which has more creature comforts standard, a slightly jazzier interior, and IMHO, a much bolder and better looking exterior. I think GM is trying to position Saturn's offerings as a little more up-scale than Pontiac (wow, are we in an alternate reality here or what?). The base price on the Sol is "just under $20k", whereas the Sky is around $25k. You get more options standard on the Sky, but a similarly equiped Solstice is a tad cheaper than the Sky. My bet is that the Aura will come out with a base trim similar to the mid-range "GT" G6. I have no idea if it will have the same 3.5L or the 3.9L (240HP!) V6, but my guess is the latter. The engine choice for the Red Line? Who knows at this point. I don't know how well the 3.9L would take to boost. I wouldn't mind the 3.6L as mentioned by L300GATTLINGGUN. The base CTS currently has a 255HP 3.6L V6 VVT, and this is the first I've heard of them changing the engine in it. I've driven a manual CTS with the 3.6L and it was very nice. Granted, the CTS-V kicked it to the curb, but that's another story...

Given that the Aura/G6 are FWD and the CTS is RWD, it would probably take some serious shoehorning to get the Caddy's RWD engine mated to the FWD transmission for the G6/Aura.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if AWD will be an option on the Aura? I haven't seen it on the G6. If Saturn is going to compete with Audi, we need comparable drivetrains!

BTW, was surfing around, found this link where they show a couple fuzzy spy shots and mention the "caddy-derived 3.6L engine" as a possible powerplant.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8679.html

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

Last edited by Dante; 06-19-2005 at 09:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

There was a techbit in the July issue of Motortrend detailing a rumor that GM is working on a new version of the 3.6L High Feature that might produce as much as 305hp.
As the 2.8L is built on the same block it should stand to reason that it would be easy enough to mate the new fuel injection system to the other motor.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #6
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

Considering a Pontiac G6 GXP has a base price around $27,000, I would expect the base price for an Aura RL to be about $27,000 + (the difference between a bare-bones G6 and a bare-bones Aura).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote