SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Just saw two 2006 IONS

Tonight my dad and I stopped by the local Saturn dealer so I could show him an ION2 they have that I swear was built just for me, but anyway...

They had 2 2006 IONS there. The window stickers were delivery stickers, and had no information on them and said the cars were not to be displayed with those stickers and so on.

I'm guessing they were there as demos or something, because 06 production hasn't started yet. The retailer they were shipped to was the sister retailer.

One was a 2006 ION2 QC in black with hubcaps, and the other a 2006 ION2 4 door with the alloy wheels. My first impression was that the coupe looked like a Cavalier, the wheels are awful. IMO I think they should have kept the current design for the hubcaps and alloys. The radio is way different and looks much more upscale, but it doesn't match the car at all. Other than that, it looks pretty much the same as the 2005.

I like the 2005 better I think just because of the radio and the wheels, but those aren't too much to worry about. I do like that the 2006 radios have MP3 plug ins.

Has anyone else seen any 2006's out yet? It's just randomness that I saw the two parked there and I guess they're demos or something based off the window stickers...

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clemsonsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Recoil
Recoil is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default Re: Just saw two 2006 IONS

As I just mentioned in another post I saw what I beleive is a preproduction 2006 with a 2.4l engine. I know it was a 2.4 because of the 2.4 on the back of the car. I also noticed the drivers headrest had a whole through it. Not sure if the 05s did too or not. From what I could tell while driving everything else was the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recoil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recoil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE
Sad Re: Just saw two 2006 IONS

Ok, whose with me? Let's kick clemsonsaturn butt for talking about seeing 2006 Ion's and not providing pictures.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I have heard next to nothing about the changes for 06. Is the front end different? Back end? What about the interior, is it just a new radio? Door panels same? Do the sedan and QC still differ in styling?

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Service Advisor
Service Advisor is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Im astounded that a dealership had 2 2006 ions, we do not have any 2006 ions and do not plan to get them for some time. I have heard not many changes were going through the shoots on the 2006 vs 2005 - alot more has changed with the 06 vue vs 05. Im interested to see what kind of wheels are on it. Ne ways save ur money for the Aura, looks awsome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Service Advisor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Service Advisor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Service Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

I for one, do not believe they were 06 IONs. The 06 ION spyshots and changes weren't even yet released. How can dealers be getting them already. Something doesn't add up here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
clemsonsaturn

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnd00d
I for one, do not believe they were 06 IONs. The 06 ION spyshots and changes weren't even yet released. How can dealers be getting them already. Something doesn't add up here.

I SWEAR to you they were 2006 models, my dad is my witness to this.

I can tell by:

1)Window sticker, said "2006 ION" and mentioned the car should not be displayed on the lot with the sticker. It didn't even have MPG ratings or options or features, it was the regular 8.5 x 11 Saturn window sticker though. Picture a Saturn window sticker, blank except for the heading which states the year, color etc. Under that where all the standard equipment, options, and MPG should go was an italicized statment like what I said above...that the cars were not to be displayed on the lot and so on.

2) New wheel designs. The 06 ION2 coupe was black with hubcaps and tan interior. The 06 ION2 sedan was Pacific Blue with grey interior and the alloy wheels. Both these NEW wheel styles are shown on this board in a previous thread about upcoming 06 changes.

3) Radios. The new radios are the "piano" style radios with different buttons and a more sleek, elegant design, like I said, it doesn't match the ION.

Other than that, the 06 is a carry over of an 05. The body is identical, but there are different wheels and the new radios.

I did not have my camera with me at the time, I was coming back from getting dinner. Also, these were parked outside near the side of the building, not on the "lot". So, I guess they are pre-production demos or something. I would NOT lie about his, I have no reason to lie. I promise they were 2006 models because I have been keeping track of changes on the 06 models, and these cars had the changes...not to mention the window sticker specifically said "2006".

I don't really want to say the retailer I saw them at incase they get mad because a few workers browse the board...but look at my "location" and you should be able to know what dealer I'm talking about.

I swear to you, I'm a very very attentive person to change...especially in Saturns and I can tell you for a 100% FACT that these were 2006 models.

They are there though, the two of them parked out beside the building away from all the other cars, plastic still on the seats and floors etc.

Center IP is still there, and the interior trim looked the same to me.

Maybe tomorrow I can swing by and get a pic, if they are still there. I'll go after dark though, I don't want to look like an idiot taking pictures while they're open.

Last edited by clemsonsaturn; 06-13-2005 at 08:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
clemsonsaturn

1992 SL2

Mission complete!

After my last post, I decided to make the 10 mile trek to my local Saturn retailer and take pictures so I can prove my case.

Pictures are below, and ofcourse in my gallery.

Note: The window sticker DOES display MPG ratings at 32 MPG. Both had automatic transmissions, so I assume a these still have the 2.2 Ecotecs.

I apologize for my picture quality, it was 10:00 pm and my low battery light was flashing on the camera so I was just trying to get whatever pictures I could before it died.

On the window sticker, zoom in and you will see "2006" posted at the top, and you can also see some of the disclaimers I was mentioning about not displaying the vehicle, and the car not being for display etc.

I feel like I've broken some security breech, but they were on the lot just like all the other cars for the general public to see, so I guess it's ok.

Enjoy!

2006 ION2 QC

2006 ION Sedan

2006 ION Sedan and QC Together

2006 Window Stickers (please zoom in to see better, sorry for the quality)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

Good job taking pics. I think they may be mule cars though. Maybe the outer skins look the same but are not final production. Good job on getting the pics though. I like the alloys on the sedan from what I can tell. They seem to look good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #10
redblazerx
redblazerx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonsaturn
Mission complete!

After my last post, I decided to make the 10 mile trek to my local Saturn retailer and take pictures so I can prove my case.

Pictures are below, and ofcourse in my gallery.

Note: The window sticker DOES display MPG ratings at 32 MPG. Both had automatic transmissions, so I assume a these still have the 2.2 Ecotecs.

I apologize for my picture quality, it was 10:00 pm and my low battery light was flashing on the camera so I was just trying to get whatever pictures I could before it died.

On the window sticker, zoom in and you will see "2006" posted at the top, and you can also see some of the disclaimers I was mentioning about not displaying the vehicle, and the car not being for display etc.

I feel like I've broken some security breech, but they were on the lot just like all the other cars for the general public to see, so I guess it's ok.

Enjoy!

2006 ION2 QC

2006 ION Sedan

2006 ION Sedan and QC Together

2006 Window Stickers (please zoom in to see better, sorry for the quality)

Those pics look very familiar. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redblazerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redblazerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redblazerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:24 AM   #11
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Great job agent ClemsonSaturn. For your next mission we want you to infultrate Saturn headquarters and get specs on the final production Aura and Sky. Should you, or any member of your I.M. force, be caught, or killed, the Charlie will disavow all knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five seconds....

BOOM!!!

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #12
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

At least the rims look better.

So the ONLY changes were the radio (but not the center bezel) and the rims?! I was expecting something more. Like at least new door panels.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #13
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertillion
Great job agent ClemsonSaturn. For your next mission we want you to infultrate Saturn headquarters and get specs on the final production Aura and Sky. Should you, or any member of your I.M. force, be caught, or killed, the Charlie will disavow all knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five seconds....

BOOM!!!
The Mission Impossible tape recorders did not blow up .... they smoked and fizzled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Thanks for putting those up.
I saw some 05 ION 1s that were using the same seat cloth as the VUE. NOT the same as the 05 ION 1
I bought in January. It looks so much better.
Wonder if it's a build out to make use of leftover cloth or std for the ION 2 for 06.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #15
Isaacsmommy
Isaacsmommy is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
Dizzy Re: Just saw two 2006 IONS

I went in search of an Ion 3 at my local dealer and they couldn't find what I want...so, they're supposed to be modifying an incoming '06 to the options I want. I'm getting a little nervous about this whole idea since I can't find much information regarding the changes from '05 to '06. So you think it's just the wheels and the radio changing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Isaacsmommy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Isaacsmommy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Isaacsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:40 PM   #16
seamus1066
seamus1066 is on a distinguished road

Folks...you shouldn't have doubted him. We've been building the 2006 IONs for the past week and a half...not to mention all the pre-builds we did.

We've only once done a model change that came out in Aug-Sept. All the rest have happened in July or late June.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seamus1066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seamus1066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seamus1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #17
VegasSaturn
VegasSaturn is on a distinguished road

Hopefully I can clear up some of the confusion. Those are production 2006 Ion's. Production began the week of 6-6-05 and shipping began on 6-8-05. So, that being said, retailers close to Spring Hill are likely to have Ions on the lot. Those of us on the west coast can expect to see ours in the next couple weeks. (usually takes 10-14 days) The reason why they are parked out back and they are not able to showcase them is that at the time of production the pricing information had not yet been released.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Neal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VegasSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VegasSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VegasSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:45 PM   #18
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

I actually think those wheel covers are a big improvement over the 2005 QC2 wheel covers. The alloys on the sedan in the picture actually look pretty sweet, IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #19
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84
Thanks for putting those up.
I saw some 05 ION 1s that were using the same seat cloth as the VUE. NOT the same as the 05 ION 1
I bought in January. It looks so much better.
Wonder if it's a build out to make use of leftover cloth or std for the ION 2 for 06.......
The supplier for the 2005 4 Cyl VUE/ION1 cloth changed mid production, and they could not get a matching fabric.

For those of you who haven't seen/noticed - the new cloth for the 2005 VUEs, and what is now on the ION1 which was originally the small stitched square pattern, has been replaced with a pattern that has half circle seashellisque patterns... I like it a lot actually.

~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:31 PM   #20
plane
plane is on a distinguished road

The rims rock!
That is so much sportier than the 4 spoke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plane is offline   Reply With Quote