SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
pjterry
pjterry is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 VUE Water Pump Replacement

I'm looking for how to instructions, technical guidance, on replacing the water pump on my 2003 VUE 6 Cylinder. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pjterry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pjterry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pjterry is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2003 VUE Water Pump Replacement

If its like others, its pretty straight forward if you are already familiar with sealing gaskets. The new pump should come with a new gasket and you'll want to get some Ultra-blue (my preference) goo to seal it. After you remove the belt there are 4-5 (as I recall) small 10mm bolts that hold the pully on the pump. It can be tricky removing them because the pully wants to turn. After you get the pully off there will be several slightly larger bolts (12mm??) that hold the pump on. It may take some pulling to get it off since the old sealant works a bit like glue. Once its off, you'll want to 100% remove all the old sealant and gasket from the housing. I use light sand paper, other use a razor. Then pull a **thin** coat of sealant on the new gasket (both sides) and let it set for about 10 minutes. Afterwards install the new water pump with the new gasket and secure the mounting bolts. Do not, not, not over tighten the bolts or you will squeeze our your sealant. It does not take much torque to hold the pump on (you may want to use a torque wrench if you aren't familiar with the amount of pressure to put on your wrench. Then reattach the pully and belt. I like to wait an hour before I put water in the system and fill it up to give the sealant a chance to really set. In a couple decades of working on cars, I've never had a new seal leak so I think I'm doing it right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
saturnhacker
saturnhacker is on a distinguished road

disconnect connector from mass air flow sensor in intake pipe, disconnect intake from throttle body, remove intake and air filter box.
support engine using a jack and block of wood, remove upper engine mount, including mount bracket that bolts to engine, loosen water pump pulley bolts, remove accessory drive belt, remove water pump pulley, remove plastic engine harness channel that bolts to timing cover and set out of the way, you can use a piece of wire to hold it, remove timing cover, (i cant remember, you may have to remove crank pulley, its held on with reverse torx bolts, if so its accessible after removing tire and splash shield),
remove water pump. if you jack motor up slightly while working it will give you a bit more access to pump etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
srpat
srpat is on a distinguished road

Default Need help removing pulley

I'm working on the timing belt right now. Until now, no big hangups on removing everything. How do I get the waterpump pulley out? I have the 3 small 10mm bolts removed and the acc. belt is off, engine mount is off. But, the pulley doesn't seem to want to pop out. There is a large nut in the center of the pulley, does this need to be unscrewed? Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to srpat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help srpat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
srpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Need help removing pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpat View Post
I'm working on the timing belt right now. Until now, no big hangups on removing everything. How do I get the waterpump pulley out? I have the 3 small 10mm bolts removed and the acc. belt is off, engine mount is off. But, the pulley doesn't seem to want to pop out. There is a large nut in the center of the pulley, does this need to be unscrewed? Thanks for the help.
The Saturn repair instructions don't address pulley removal but other instructions at local library say to remove pulley bolt and then pulley.

The pump remove and replace instructions are too large to post but I can email if you (1) want them, and (2) will PM an address.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
srpat
srpat is on a distinguished road

Well, I got the pulley off. Unfortunately, I had to bust up the timing belt cover ($120 replacement) to do it. I had to rig up some 2x4s and get a sledge hammer to knock the old pulley out once the water pump was off the engine. It should have.. just popped right out after removing the bolts.

Anyhow, I have the new timing belt on and I am fairly confident that everything lined up right. I used ideas from the other posters to mark where the cams were with a little whiteout, marking the old belt and transferring the marks (these lined up perfectly with the marks that came on my new gatorback belt), and locking the cams with 2 vice grips.

I was only able to move one of the tensioners so it took a bit of wiggling to get the new belt in there, but all the marks do line up now.

Is there any advice anyone can give me to double and triple check that it is in fact right?

The new cover won't come in for 3-4 days, so I have plenty of time to check my work, and finish the water pump, spark plugs, thermostat, and acc. belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to srpat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help srpat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
srpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
barrettabney
barrettabney is on a distinguished road

So I wonder if his engine ran ok, I will assume it did or he would have been back here to repost.

Anyhoo, my waterpump pulley is wobbeling and I haven't removed any bolts yet. Is there an easy way to hold it still? This is gonna be a loooong day of fighting with this thing.

Also, my wife talks back to me all the time, never ceasing. Is there a way to get her to stop? Oh, wait, this isnt the mental health forums..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to barrettabney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help barrettabney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
barrettabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettabney View Post
Anyhoo, my waterpump pulley is wobbeling and I haven't removed any bolts yet. Is there an easy way to hold it still? This is gonna be a loooong day of fighting with this thing.
Wobbeling!? This started by itself? Instead of leaning on your wrench, give it a sharp rap with something (poor man's impact tool).

PS - If you find an answer to your second question, pls post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
barrettabney
barrettabney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Wobbeling!? This started by itself? Instead of leaning on your wrench, give it a sharp rap with something (poor man's impact tool).

PS - If you find an answer to your second question, pls post.
I got this vehicle from my brother-in-law who put water in the oil. He claimed it was too dark to see the cap clearly and got confused....

So this is the last thing in a long series of repairs that I am dealing with. The coolant is leaking from the waterpump and when I removed the belt the pulley flopped around so much I thought the bolts had already fallen off... Now getting it to stand still with a screw driver while I turn the bolts is frustrating.

(According to my wife, I am the source of all her nagging. Get rid of me and her nagging will stop... Lord help us.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to barrettabney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help barrettabney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
barrettabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettabney View Post
blockhead!
Well ain't that an understatement!
It's easier to loosen those bolts while the belt is still on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
navyeodcm
navyeodcm is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Idea Re: 2003 VUE Water Pump Replacement

I have been reading up on all the discussion threads concerning removal of the water pump pulley, and thought I would chime in for some sound advise. I seem to be mirroring the efforts of another member who has been unable to budge the water pump pulley, and has tore up the timing belt cover in the process.

I have borrowed a dozen different pulley removal tools, none of which fit for one reason or another, i.e. does not grip pulley, spindle too long for limited space between pulley and fender well, too small etc.. There is one that comes close, but the spindle keeps drifting off the center piece and popping off since pump head is not punched.

Having looked at my new water pump, the pulley is pressed on over the water pump head, correct? Just want to make sure I'm not working against myself.

I can disarm bombs, but can seem to get a darn pulley off to replace a water pump. Please help!!!

I really would like to get the pump replaced and start a whole other headache in replacing the timing belt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to navyeodcm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help navyeodcm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
navyeodcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Welcome to the Board.

Are you sure that you are working on the water pump pulley. The water pump pulley is held on by three bolts.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
mshashmi
mshashmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnhacker View Post
disconnect connector from mass air flow sensor in intake pipe, disconnect intake from throttle body, remove intake and air filter box.
support engine using a jack and block of wood, remove upper engine mount, including mount bracket that bolts to engine, loosen water pump pulley bolts, remove accessory drive belt, remove water pump pulley, remove plastic engine harness channel that bolts to timing cover and set out of the way, you can use a piece of wire to hold it, remove timing cover, (i cant remember, you may have to remove crank pulley, its held on with reverse torx bolts, if so its accessible after removing tire and splash shield),
remove water pump. if you jack motor up slightly while working it will give you a bit more access to pump etc.
very good instructions. precise. short "n sweet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mshashmi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mshashmi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mshashmi is offline   Reply With Quote