SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 10:09 PM   #1
means-52
means-52 is on a distinguished road

Happy Squeaky Brakes

I have always had a problem with my '96 SC2 brakes being squeaky. I bought the saturn brand new and under warranty I questioned my dealership with their squeakiness. They turned the rotors a couple of time, and finally gave me the answer that these cars now have no-asbestos brake pads and so are subject to squeak. I can always count on them sqealling to a stop in the morning, late evening, or if it has rained recently with high humidity (even if I have not driven through water). I have 90K miles and have noticed a jerking with braking at high speeds. Thinking the rotors were wearing uneven, now well out of warranty, I took the front rotors, front pads, and rear drum rotors in to autozone to have them checked. They said I had plenty of depth to turn front and back rotors and were slightly warped, and I have plenty of pads left. I told them my squeaky problem and they suggested either a new type of brake pad, or a product to either spread on or spray on that was supposed to decrease brake noise.

...anyone know how to alleviate my problem. Any brake pad recommendations, any anti-noise product recommendations. Also as an aside, are the front brake pads suposed to be the same thickness as rear drum pads. Just looking at them the rear pads are about 1/2 or less thick individually. Also, if one has never taken off drum brakes, and they don't have that special tool to loosen the springs, would it be advisable to just go and have them replaced by someone else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to means-52's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help means-52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2001, 01:16 AM   #2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I can't help you with the squeaking. My car has 4 wheel discs, and Saturn pads all around. Fronts changed once, rears still stock. I haven't had any squeaking except the wear indicators.

As for the rear pads being thinner, that's probably normal, since the front brakes do most of the work. My fronts were replaced at 66k miles, and my rears now have 100k. A repair manual should tell you the minimum specs.

As for the rear drum spring tool, you can buy those at auto parts stores, so no need to bring it to a shop if your comfortable doing it yourself. The spring tool is like a long screwdriver, where it's just used as a lever to stretch the spring, allowing it to slide off the tool onto the brake hardware.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2001, 03:04 AM   #3
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

squeeking is common in disc brakes in general, I don't know about Saturn specifically. The usual fix is silicone applied to the back side of the pads between the pad and the caliper piston.
I'm not sure what it does, but my guess is that it dapens out the noise. I've used either the blue or the orange silicone that is made for automotive gasket sealer. You might want to check with Saturn before you do it to be sure it won't hurt anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2001, 06:54 AM   #4
Son93SL2
Advanced Member
Son93SL2 is on a distinguished road

Bevel the edges of the pads and this will stop the problem for awhile until you wear away the bevel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Son93SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Son93SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2001, 11:28 AM   #5
Ernie's 00SWP
Ernie's 00SWP is on a distinguished road

2000 SWP
Thumbs Up

My SWP had squeaky brakes, had them replace and still squeaked. I tried some WearEver Sliver pads, and got only 2865 miles out of them before I had to replace them. Just had some Raybestos Quite-Stop pads put on. So far no squeaks and I use the car one day a week to deliver mail. Brakes get hot with the stop and go. So far they have held up and are quite. Price for the Quite-Stops was $95 plus labor.

These pads are not made with matalic stuff, it's made with ceramic so as not to get as hot like the matalic ones. The also have a limited lifetime warranty on them. My next venture is to get the cross drilled rotors.

Just my input....

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie's 00SWP; 10-01-2001 at 11:35 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ernie's 00SWP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ernie's 00SWP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2001, 11:51 AM   #6
newt
Advanced Member
newt is on a distinguished road

I don't think anyone has answered the brake shoe (for the rear drums) thickness question yet--so, I'll throw in my $0.02.

I installed new rotors and pads in the front and I figured while I was at it, I'd turn the drums out back and throw in some new shoes--they're pretty cheap at the dealership.

It took quite an effort to get the drums off because of 5+ years of Minnesota winter driving (about 100k miles). Anyway, with the aid of a big 3-jaw puller and a hammer, I popped the drums off only to reveal that the shoes were almost unworn! So I returned the new shoes and re-assembled the back of the car. The thickness of the shoes was pretty thin as compared to the front pads--maybe half, possibly less than half.

As far as the squeeking, make sure everything is clean, re-lube the caliper slider pins, make sure the anti-rattle clips fit nicely on the calipers without a ton of flaking rust making them super tight, and use anti-squeal goop--I think most "spread on" types require you to wait a few minutes to allow it to set up a bit prior to assembly. So, don't slap everything together too quick--kick back, have a beer or 5. After about 10 or 15 minutes, slam your last beer and the goop will be tacky. Now the fun part--fumble around with your tools while stumbling over empty beer bottles and attempt to get everything back together.

Hope this helps,

-Newt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2001, 10:54 PM   #7
Ernie's 00SWP
Ernie's 00SWP is on a distinguished road

2000 SWP
Happy

Update from my last post...

I had the Raybestos Quite Stop pads installed.. So far they are doing great.... They really are quite and as far as break dust, after driving on my route (63miles) stop and go I have next to no brake dust. In fact it looks more like road dust. I am very pleased with that and the braking is very good.

They are a bit high in price ($95) but I think for the type of work I do, these Quite Stop pads seem to be the answer to my problem. As far as the wear life that is to seen. I know that they will last more then 2800 miles (which is all I got from WearEver Silver pads) and talk about brake dust... My wheel covers was blacker then my tires with those cheap pads..

Ernie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ernie's 00SWP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ernie's 00SWP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread