SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
webxfx
webxfx is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Cadillac - VUE Based version

as the title says - enjoy

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0504_spied/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to webxfx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help webxfx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
webxfx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
slowneo
slowneo is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Re: Cadillac - VUE Based version

WTF????

"Expect a major upgrade in componentry from the Theta-based Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent on which it's based"

They don't even MENTION the VUE !!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slowneo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slowneo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slowneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Cadillac - VUE Based version

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowneo
WTF????

"Expect a major upgrade in componentry from the Theta-based Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent on which it's based"

Well, technically, the Equinox / Torrent is a bit longer than the VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
webxfx
webxfx is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowneo
WTF????

do your homework 1st before you ....

The GM Theta platform - started with the VUE, it was to point out how well it did and now everyone is stealling it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to webxfx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help webxfx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
webxfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Well, I wouldn't say 'stealing'....this platform was designed to be 'shared' since its inception. The Delta-platform in ION is also being 'shared' as well.

I see nothing's wrong with Platform Engineering. See how well VW/Audi/Porsche (the SUV platform) do as well as Ford/Jaguar, etc. One solid platform for a class is what they need to derive bunch of good but distinctive vehicles.

The solely platform which Saturn owns exclusively is just the Z-platform, which is our lovely S-series. Yea, no GM cars shared it, thus it has reached its EoL (End of Life) fate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Qlara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
TPFilm
TPFilm is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Suzuki and GM developed the Theta platform together. Saturn was the test... After the success of the VUE, GM realized they had a winner. We may have only had the S to ourselves, but at least we got the VUE first. All others are simply badge engineered VUEs!

Theta Platform:

VUE
Equinox
Torrent
New Vitara
small Caddy SUV
Daewoo (Asia & Eroupe only)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TPFilm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TPFilm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TPFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

I don't think Suzuki had anything to do with Theta. Why would they co-develop the platform and not get a vehicle off it for over 5 years after the VUE?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
TPFilm

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C
I don't think Suzuki had anything to do with Theta. Why would they co-develop the platform and not get a vehicle off it for over 5 years after the VUE?
D C: are we starting this again?

GM Theta platform
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Theta is General Motors' new crossover SUV automobile platform. The architecture debuted in 2002 with the Saturn VUE and was later used for the Chevrolet Equinox. The platform was developed by GM and Suzuki Motors, but a substantial part of work for upcoming 2006 Theta-based models was done by GM Daewoo and GM's Shanghai, China engineering operation, Pan-Asia Technical Automotive Center.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TPFilm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

TPFilm -- way to quote Wikipedia!

The point of the post was to rant that once again, Saturn was being ignored, dropped off the radar in favor of Chevy and Pontiac.... c'est la vie....

Personally, I think this is pretty cool. Maybe we can steal more than just the steering wheel out of the new Theta-based Caddy... Can you say taillight assemblies??? I've always lusted over the tails on their midsized SUV, the SRX. Perhaps if they have a Theta-platform vehicle, it'll be a direct swap for some parts (like the console from the Eek!). *fingers crossed*

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:11 AM   #10
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Please GM not another rebadged Caddy.Give Buick and Pontiac and Saturn some more of your time and dollars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:39 AM   #11
D C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFilm
D C: are we starting this again?
lol

What I know for sure is that the guy on my street that works at GM says wikipedia is completely wrong about Suzuki having a hand in the VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

The Cadillac Theta isn't a direct rebadge, GM's not really into rebadging with Cadillacs anymore it seems unless the name begins with "E" and ends in "scalade." The Caddy Theta is supposed to get the 2.8 and 3.6 V6's which the other Theta's don't offer. I'd say this is a lot more than a rebadge.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
Skuterdude
Skuterdude is on a distinguished road

The next article while have the VUE baesed on the sucess of the equinox.....LOL!

I get the feeling Saturn is GM's little "black sheep" of the family........

2004 VUE AWD Honda V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Skuterdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Skuterdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Skuterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #14
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuterdude
I get the feeling Saturn is GM's little "black sheep" of the family........
Careful now, you may cut yourself with that sharp sense of observation. ;p

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #15
Skuterdude
Skuterdude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
Careful now, you may cut yourself with that sharp sense of observation. ;p

Sorry, but we always thought the Saturn division was GM's prodigy..........

2004 VUE AWD Honda V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Skuterdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Skuterdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Skuterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #16
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Sure, but we got the only plastic SUVs! Hey, some maroon whacked the snot outta my door the other day, and left me a 2" scratch. I can fix that in five minutes, where with a steel door skin I'd have a scratch AND dent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #17
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

Well, what can i say--we're dealing with Motor Trend here. Home of the most biased, prejudiced Saturnbashers out there. On a review of the Hyundai Tucson, they mentioned the Tribute/Escape but not the Vue. i figure those ppl r too spoiled by the Aston Martins and Maseratis to even acknowledge Saturn.

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #18
TPFilm

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C
lol

What I know for sure is that the guy on my street that works at GM says wikipedia is completely wrong about Suzuki having a hand in the VUE.
Now, now, D C... I didn't say Suzuki helped with the VUE... I said they had helped develop the platform. GM had no experience with small SUVs. The Tracker was a Suzuki and the Blazer was based on the S10.

Besides, don't you think it is ironic that right after the last Tracker/Vitara rolled off the line in Canada they began building the Equinox there? There must have been plans to do Theta there all along. I am not an engineer, but I think that it would have to take a long time (longer than the time it took from end of Tracker to beginning of Equinox) to convert a factory from body on frame to unibody.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #19
D C

Plants can be re-tooled pretty quickly. I don't know how fast they did it at CAMI, but it's a pretty routine thing in the industry, especially for GM. If you look at the typical GM plant in operation today, it's building a unibody vehicle of some kind. 20 years ago, it was building a body-on-frame vehicle. Those manufacturing-type people are pretty good at that stuff, and there really isn't all that much different between the two plants. Unibody plants don't have the separate chassis build-up obviously, but they have separate sub-lines for building the engine & cradle & all that stuff. Sort of like a 1/3 scale version of the old frame/chassis. All that stuff gets stuffed in from the bottom, pretty much like before. I think it seems like a big change, but those plant people do a pretty good job of doing what seems like a miracle in a maze of machinery in short order.

CAMI started production in 1989. That was well before anyone had so much as a twinkle in their eye about building a car-based SUV. I think the RAV4 or CRV were first out and that was in '96? GM reacted to those with plans to do the VUE, then the 'nox followed (obviously). They probably stared planning for the re-tooling as soon as they got wind that the 'nox was going to CAMI. That was probably a couple years ahead of production that they had to plan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #20
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFilm
We may have only had the S to ourselves, but at least we got the VUE first. All others are simply badge engineered VUEs!
I like to tell people the ECOTEC is a saturn engine- 1st introduced in the LS, then everything else. then they keep the engine and kill the car.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote