SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

Default The end of an era.........

Last week my wife totalled her '99 SL1. It was towed off yesterday and it ends an era for her. For all of the five years we've been married she has had her trusty little ride and seen it through thick and thin. It is truly a sad day, and what's even sadder is the thinking my wife has lately. She was going to trade up for a Vue or an Ion QC but the wreck changed her opinion about Saturns in general. She thinks that they're easily damaged in accidents and r unsafe. She in her dispair is talking about getting a pickup. See, she had another accident in it a couple of years ago, but in this one, some guy cut out in front of her and she rearended her. She figured i guess that being a small car and all, it doesn't stand a chance against large pickups and SUVs. She also thinks that an all-metal car like a Focus would be safer than our Saturns.......i just hope she has a change of heart! To see her in anything but a Saturn would be really strange to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Dimundave911
Dimundave911 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1998 SC1
Default Re: The end of an era.........

Thats a shame to hear about that.... ultimatly its her opinion, but saturs esp S series are strong little cars. She says they are easily damaged in accidents (i'm assuming bad ones) but what it really important is that you walk away from an accident. And saturns are good at protecting the passengers during wrecks.
In regards to metal door panels- I doubt they are any better than polymer in an accident, unless a minor one where the dent risistant part comes into play.
Good luck w/ what happens

Dave

2002 SC2

"Did you ever Dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dimundave911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dimundave911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dimundave911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
binkybaby

thanx. i told her how robust the S series is. i just hope she doesn't find out some other type of car (like the Neon rental she's driving now) is not as good the hard way.......yes it's her choice but it'd tickle me to see her in a Saturn again. It is her who got me to love them in the first place!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
LV Hospice RN
LV Hospice RN is on a distinguished road

I bought my 99 Saturn SC2 new...have a bit less than 50,000 miles on it now...I am planning on replacing it fairly soon, probably within the next six months....and probably not with another saturn...

I want something a bit more sporty...my previous car before the Saturn was a Toyota MR2...prior to that, well, ANOTHER MR2...

The styling of Saturns, from a sporty point of view, leave me a bit unimpressed. Some possible replacements i am contemplating are:

1. The new Pontiac 2 seater, cant remember name off the top of my head..

2. A used, 1-3 year old, MR2

3. A new Mazda Miata

4. A used, 2 year old or so, Infinity G35

5. A 2005 Mustang...something about a V-8 with a manual tranny!

Vehicles are a very personal choice, when my wife needed a new vehicle, we had been married less than two years...while i assisted her, it was her decision. She ended up in a 2001 Chevrolet S-10. I was initially unimpressed, but its grew on me...has the V-6 and very good acceleration...been a good truck...

Just IMHO
darrell
sin city

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LV Hospice RN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LV Hospice RN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LV Hospice RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Can't deny physics - a heavy vehicle will generally inflict
more damage than a light(er) one. Having said that, Saturns
are extremely tough for their size/weight, with the space frame
providing the strength - not relying on the exterior panels
to provide it (as in most vehicles).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
binkybaby

Of course......one day i was driving my company truck and some bozo in a big tank of a Pontiac Parisienne tried to pass me on the shoulder as i was turning right. i barely hit the car and as big and sturdy as it was it was catapulted into a ditch. The truck i was driving was a 68,000 pound concrete truck. So yeah, physics applies no matter what......

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #7
LV Hospice RN
LV Hospice RN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybaby
The truck i was driving was a 68,000 pound concrete truck. So yeah, physics applies no matter what......

I bet he seen stars...LOL...i am constantly amazed on the road how many people cut trucks/semi's off...they, the idiots, dont seem to realize that that truck/semi cant stop as quick as they can...and its going to hurt them much more than they can hurt the truck....

Stupidity has no limits....

Just IMHO, YMMV
darrell
sin city

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LV Hospice RN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LV Hospice RN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LV Hospice RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:48 AM   #8
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

with a pick up truck u replace the bumper and driver. in a well designed car u replace the car and the driver lives. crumpling is a good thing in an accident. i would much rather see the machine hurt than me or the people with me
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:59 AM   #9
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Glad to hear your wife was not hurt, sorry to hear of the end of a great car. Like you said, the next one has to be her choice. I would agree with the others who have expressed the faith in the "S" Saturns ability to protect it's occupants. I have a good friend who has been in the tow truck business for over 30 years. He as told me numerous times of the wrecks he has responded to and seen Saturns totally destroyed but the owners are standing over at the side with maybe some minor cuts and bruises. While he watches the ambulance take the occupants of the other vehicles away.

They themselves take the energy of the impact. My wife totaled her 93 SC-2 last November in a roll over accident. She unhooked her seat belt, and crawled out of the upside down car through a broken window. She only got a few cuts from the broken glass. The car had over 215K miles on it and was a real mess, but she walked away from it. She is now driving a 95 SL-2 with that we bought new. It has over 200K miles on it.

As for the person who stated that they had purchased an S-10 pick-up, those are tough little trucks. Saturn never made a pick-up. I have had two of them starting in 1985. I am still driving the second one. When you need a truck, you need a truck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Im sure bigger is better,but remember you will have to put the gas in it.Right now is the time to buy big SUVs and pick ups if you dont mind dropping a 100.00 or more than your paying now for fuel a month.Dealers are practically giving them away.I would frst figure out what you mpg would be on the larger vehicle, plus fill up costs. That smaller saturn may not look so bad to your wife after you do that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:26 PM   #11
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Got pics or more details on the accident? If she spun out doing 60 on a highway and she thinks Saturns are unsafe, well...

Does she realize it's better for the car to be damaged in an accident and not her?

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #12
binkybaby

Well, i didn't take pics but she basically rearended someone who cut out in front of her. She hit a fullsize pickup at about 35 MPH and her frontend was bashed in. The car leaked coolant and barely made it home. Yes, what counts is that she's allright. She said she'd look at Saturns too, but she really has her eye on a Ford pickup for some reason. i think i'll just let HER pay for the gas if she does that though....or maybe take out a second mortgage so we can keep gas in the thing.......anyhoo we'll see how it all goes there......*cuddles up with wife in bed as she sleeps, kisses her gently on the cheek, watches her smile half asleep and whispers in her ear BUY A SATURN*

-sXe for life-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2005, 08:21 PM   #13
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

odd, seems most people who get into accidents in their Saturn go , "Holy crap, so where's the nearest Saturn dealer?"

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #14
binkybaby

i bet Lorie got a head injury in that wreck. She had to have the way she's been thinking lately.....i know she'll come to though.

-sXe for life-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2005, 09:54 PM   #15
eric02SC2
Advanced Member
eric02SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol
odd, seems most people who get into accidents in their Saturn go , "Holy crap, so where's the nearest Saturn dealer?"
That describes us to a T

We ordered our '02 SC2 before receiving the insurance check for our totaled '01 SC2! Had to borrow my bosses rusting Honda to drive for a few weeks while waiting for our '02 SC2 to arrive though

Eric & Genieve
2002 SC2m 39.2K miles

http://www.GEMS-Family.net

See how Eric lost nearly 1/3 of his body weight:
http://www.GEMS-Family.net/WeightLoss

See our secret to weight loss and good health:
http://www.GEMS-Family.net/USANA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric02SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric02SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric02SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
kg6mvb
kg6mvb will become famous soon enoughkg6mvb will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

Simple laws of physics that no car maker can change:

An object in motion wants to stay in motion.
Energy = mass * velocity squared.

When you get in an accident, that energy MUST go somewhere. The larger the vehicle (and the faster you are going), the more energy to displace. Every bit of the car crumpling is energy being absorbed that YOU the driver didn't absorb. Again, that energy MUST go somewhere.

Cars are material objects, that CAN be replaced, even Saturns.

People can't be replaced.

She should glad that she is home thinking about a pickup truck and not in the hospital (or morgue).

Glad to hear the Saturn took the blow and she is alright.

Tom

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #17
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

saturns are totalled easier than some cars because of their small size and mainly because they ride relatively low to the ground. It is a real shame your wife wants to go for a big vehicle now, this is the thinking that so many Americans have and our roads are plagued with people driving around large vehicles making it more unsafe for those who want to drive smaller vehicles and those people often don't know how you drive a big vehicle right. Saturns are very safe cars. They have an excelent safety record and the S series were top in their time in safely. They may total easy but thats because they make the colision as best as possible for a driver by sacrifying the body in any big colision. She is probably just scared and paranoid from her accident, just make her think for a while before she makes a bad decision based off of her fear from her recent accident. Besides there is not much benifit of safety in a pickup, they have an extremely high CG making them easy to roll over and the rear wheel drive is really dangerous in the snow or if it hydroplanes in bad rain. She might come around, try with the VUE its still a big car. And the new ION's probably wont have as bad as problems with the S series on getting totaled because they are higher off the ground. My brother totaled a 93 SC2 in a relativly slow colision because he rear ended a big vehicle and the front end went under the other car destroying everything from the top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #18
kmix99
kmix99 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybaby
She hit a fullsize pickup at about 35 MPH and her frontend was bashed in. The car leaked coolant and barely made it home.
Sounds like her Saturn held up pretty well if she drove it home after the accident.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kmix99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kmix99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kmix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #19
binkybaby

Well guess what......
i have some great news to tell u as an update to this tragedy! Well it seems Lorie looked around, and made a determination. Looking at other brands didn't make a lasting impression on her like Saturn did. After doing some thinking (see i told u it was a head wound lol) she went to Saturn of Mesquite to give the red planet another look see. SHE FELL IN LOVE ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!! She ended up buying a Summer Blue (read:baby blue) Ion QC. Before any of u start to think of her as the fourth Powerpuff Girl, remember she fell in LOVE with that color. She deserves it after all she's been through. And she proves that it takes a true Saturn fan to support our beloved make in the ultimate way-by buying one. So this isn't the end of an era but a new beginning.

Lorie's so busy showing BabyBlue off that it may be dark by the time she gets home. i'll post pics as soon as i can!

-sXe for life-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!