SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Default Talked to Jill Lajdziak

I had the occasion to speak briefly with Jill Lajdziak a couple weeks ago when she came to address our team members at a dinner. Gotta say the upcoming product looks halfway decent ( esp. the Sky).

I don't think she liked my question, though. I asked her why GM keeps giving Saturn the guinea pigs (Vue, Ion) that have tons of mechanical problems and we get slammed in the press. They then give Chevy the models after most of the bugs are worked out ('Nox, Cobalt). Didn't seem to go over well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
M.Nguyen
M.Nguyen is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1993 SL2
Default Re: Talked to Jill Lajdziak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNut
I don't think she liked my question, though. I asked her why GM keeps giving Saturn the guinea pigs (Vue, Ion) that have tons of mechanical problems and we get slammed in the press. They then give Chevy the models after most of the bugs are worked out ('Nox, Cobalt). Didn't seem to go over well
And people were B|tching that the ION and the Cavalier/Sunfire were sharing the ecotec...you really can't make anyone happy now-a-days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M.Nguyen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M.Nguyen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M.Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

Quote:

Just curious...

What was her response??

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

"""Just curious...

What was her response??

Kevin"""

My guess would be something like, ""uh, umm, let me get back to you on that""

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnfreak01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfreak01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfreak01
"""Just curious...

What was her response??

Kevin"""

My guess would be something like, ""uh, umm, let me get back to you on that""
That might have been the same answer she'd have given if you asked her why the Saturn marketing efforts in the past ten years were the worst the industry has ever seen. Want to talk real marketing? Try Honda, Ford trucks, Subaru, Little Giant Ladders (have one, love it), Magic Bullet food processors, to name a few.

Unseen + untold = unsold, as the saying goes. Up this way, there are STILL people who don't realize that for five years, Saturn built a mid-size car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dieseljack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dieseljack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dieseljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Her reply was a bit vague, but she hinted that she told GM she didn't want to be placed in the role of 'Mikey" (Life cereal guinea pig).

I agree whole-heartedly about the marketing. Watch the Cobalt chasing the 'Vette around or the basketball game with the 3 versions of the car-pretty cool. Then be underwhelmed by the 'People First' crap Saturn puts out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #7
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Her reply was a bit vague, but she hinted that she told GM she didn't want to be placed in the role of 'Mikey" (Life cereal guinea pig).

I agree whole-heartedly about the marketing. Watch the Cobalt chasing the 'Vette around or the basketball game with the 3 versions of the car-pretty cool. Then be underwhelmed by the 'People First' crap Saturn puts out.
Good point. Saturn marketing has always sucked. They catered to the pre-soccer soccer moms, and uber-nerds. Now that Saturn actually has some cars that the general populous considers cool (based on the reactions at car shows and such), the marketing needs to get with the program. The ads I've seen for the Vue and Ion Red Line are a good start, but they are really in need of a swift kick in the arse.

The Cobalt ads rock. The new ad for the G6 made me want to run out and have sex in one (after I bought it, of course). Since the Aura will be on the same platform as the G6, I think I'm going to really love the Aura as well. Saturn is growing up, getting more competitive, more sporty, modern, comfortable, almost luxurious (for an entry to mid-level car). I am pleased with the changes in the product, for the most part, but they sure don't have the ad $$. I see 5 times more ads for Hummers than I do for ALL Saturns, which has 6 products, versus the two Hummer products. Weak.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:47 PM   #8
silverbugeye
silverbugeye is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:

2007 SKY uses the 2006 Solstice as its guinea pig.

2007 Aura uses Malibu, G6, 9-3 as guinea pigs and Caddy CTS, SRX, STS as engine guinea pigs.

2005 Relay used all of GM's vans resources as guinea pigs.

2007/2008 will use Opel as its guinea pigs

I think she was more interested in telling you about New News than the Old news you spoke of.

Getting something first isnt always bad, but it isnt always good either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverbugeye's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverbugeye reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverbugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:06 AM   #9
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

With GMs new diection for Saturn ,I guess the new Saturn ads will have upper middle class people at the local country club talking about their golf game as they put there clubs in their new Saturn,talking about how hard it is to find good help from the little people(thats us) with their business.THis is the new direction Saturn is heading right?Poor JIll,she has one of the hardest jobs on the planet right now.I hope she is getting paid plenty for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #10
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljack
That might have been the same answer she'd have given if you asked her why the Saturn marketing efforts in the past ten years were the worst the industry has ever seen. Want to talk real marketing? Try Honda, Ford trucks, Subaru, Little Giant Ladders (have one, love it), Magic Bullet food processors, to name a few.

Unseen + untold = unsold, as the saying goes. Up this way, there are STILL people who don't realize that for five years, Saturn built a mid-size car.
Or: "you want to sell them or dust them?"
SOOOOO true.
I have seen more ads for Saab with 1/4th the sales of Saturn and dozens of ads for Mitsubishi which is collapsing than I have one dumb ad from Saturn.
Use it or lose it, GM. Better yet, lose that moronic agency that does Saturn ads, or get out of the game.Come back when you're serious about selling some friggin' cars.
It's twisted. The ad copy in the brochures is great, especially the Sky scratch and sniff folder. Makes me want to get in one and take off on a month long road trip.The TV ads make me embarrassed I bought a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:41 PM   #11
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84
Or: "you want to sell them or dust them?"
SOOOOO true.
I have seen more ads for Saab with 1/4th the sales of Saturn and dozens of ads for Mitsubishi which is collapsing than I have one dumb ad from Saturn.
Use it or lose it, GM. Better yet, lose that moronic agency that does Saturn ads, or get out of the game.Come back when you're serious about selling some friggin' cars.
It's twisted. The ad copy in the brochures is great, especially the Sky scratch and sniff folder. Makes me want to get in one and take off on a month long road trip.The TV ads make me embarrassed I bought a Saturn.
I have to agree with you. What's more, Hyundai has a really solid ad campaign that makes me want to go out and buy a new Sonata! I don't feel that way about any of the current Saturns. The 2007 model year seems so far off when Saturn's competitors are offering 'gotta have' product as I post.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

The Saturn ads would seem to say "People first; then cars."

Let people find out about the car and then discover the dealer experience on their own. The experience isn't what gets the person in the showroom; it's the car that does it. Saturns original slogan was way better--"Different kind of company, different kind of car."

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #13
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
The Saturn ads would seem to say "People first; then cars."

Let people find out about the car and then discover the dealer experience on their own. The experience isn't what gets the person in the showroom; it's the car that does it. Saturns original slogan was way better--"Different kind of company, different kind of car."
I agree. What kind of slogan is "People first." for a car company? For an HR firm, or a services company, or heck, even a credit card company or bank, sure, that might work... But for a car company? Uh, no. That's lame. Even the moronic "zoom zoom" is better than that. I guess it's marginally better than how Ford admitted for years that their cars *used* to suck and now they suck less "Have you driven a Fr0d, lately?" LOL I liked the "different" slogan a lot better, but now that Saturns are being "folded in" to GM, they aren't so different. Maybe they need to get a slogan that speaks more to the revitalization and reinvention Saturn is going through. Like maybe "All grown up and ready to play." Hey, that's f'in brilliant! LOL Saturn should hire us to do their adverts.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The ION is wonderful, quiet, comfortable, competitive in mileage, has a huge trunk, etc. if a potential buyer tests drives one, they'll like it. First they need to HEAR about it. The VUE is the perfect size, probably the best product Saturn has and the Relay is very handsome and has a lot of salable features.
That folksy "people first stuff" last worked in NINETEEN NINETY FIVE, GM.
I wish some of the fans could produce our own ad for Saturn featuring dorks backing into each other and "crashing" and cutting each other off to show that idiot ad agency what those stupid commercials actually look like to the public.
The tag line could read: " Have you heard what people are saying about Saturn? Now you know. DOH!!!!" Fade and cut.
So WHAT if that agency got awards for those insipid spots. They're supposed to be selling cars, not themselves.
I don't remember ever seeing any ads for the ION in any of the car rags, ever.
It makes me soooooo angry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 PM   #15
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Speaking of idiotic ads, my girlfriend subscribes to a mag called "Real Simple"... basically a Martha Stewart type of mag that gives you all sorts of tips on simplifying your life and doing domestic stuff better/easier/cheaper, whatever... Obviously directed at women and specifically housewives. This month's issue has an ad on the BACK COVER.... for a Hummer H3. WTF??? Like we need more soccer moms driving Hummers... my lord... please, leave the Hummers to the idiotic rednecks with testacles for brains and something to prove. I see 5 times the Hummer ads than Saturn ads, what's up with that?

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2005, 11:29 PM   #16
BUBBLEMAN
BUBBLEMAN is on a distinguished road

Moparnut go away.

No really great question, but didn't Saturn have the S series all to itself?

BTW does Bob still work up there at OP?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BUBBLEMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BUBBLEMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BUBBLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:00 AM   #17
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

I know one thing for sure. Future Saturn ads of Aura,Sky and up comming ION and VUEs will NOT have anyone swing off of trees into Saturns or smashing doors into fire hydrants.The new and future Saturn will say ouch,just like the rest of the GM line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:28 AM   #18
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
Speaking of idiotic ads, my girlfriend subscribes to a mag called "Real Simple"... basically a Martha Stewart type of mag that gives you all sorts of tips on simplifying your life and doing domestic stuff better/easier/cheaper, whatever... Obviously directed at women and specifically housewives. This month's issue has an ad on the BACK COVER.... for a Hummer H3. WTF??? Like we need more soccer moms driving Hummers... my lord... please, leave the Hummers to the idiotic rednecks with testacles for brains and something to prove. I see 5 times the Hummer ads than Saturn ads, what's up with that?
Didn't you know? A gross display of gluttony is the "new" black. It goes with everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #19
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljack
Try Honda, Ford trucks, Subaru...

Can you say "Baja"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote