SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 01:19 AM   #1
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line
Idea Get Saturn on "Made in America"

Okay, so in the past, we have been invaded by Honda owners, invaded by SRT-4 owners, Acura owners, and a number of others i'm sure...

People who would register, post a few snide comments about Saturn, start a few wars, and bad mouth Saturn just for the sake of it. Thankfully, Charlie's been there to ban, delete, and remove them...

Anyway, It's our turn to invade a forum...
No, we're not going to go blast SRT-4 owners....

I need all of you, to go and register on the travel channel's website forum dedicated to the show John Ratzenberger's Made In America!!!

Go here: http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/jrmia/jrmia.html Click on "Suggest a Topic" and you'll be taken to the "Made in America" forum.

Register, and post a new topic, and possibly even reply to other's, about how he should go tour the Saturn Factory in Spring Hill, TN while they are still producing only Saturns (This means now people!). Be sure to make the thread title something better than "suggestion" or "show idea"... Make the title something like Saturn Automotive Plant, Saturn Corporation in Spring Hill, TN, Saturn in Spring Hill, TN... An american car, etc...

If you're interested in helping, you might even mention the dates for the SaturnFans Homecoming this Summer (June 27), and maybe we can get him to come to the meet and he can interview all of us, and we can show off all of our high mileage, long lasting, great looking Saturns... And some of the newer ones too...

Okay, so Saturns aren't 100% made in America any more, few vehicles are. However, Saturn, by far, is the most American car company around to date! I mean, Saturn was origianally founded on the pricinple of "For the American people, made by the American people". The S-series was 100% designed, engineered, and manufactured in America, particularly, Spring Hill, TN.

My 2004 Red Line 3.5L V6 VUE ( yes, the engine is made by Honda ..but by Honda at their plant in Anna, Ohio) is 100% American made, a fact that I am proud of!!!! Heck, it's the reason I bought my Saturn! I wanted something I knew was American made, and as a former Tennessean, and forever a Tennessean at heart, It felt good to know that by buying a Saturn, not only was I buying American, I was buying something built close to home.

So, please, please, take a moment, go and register, and suggest... Or rather... Tell John he has to go visit Saturn in Spring Hill, Tennessee!!!

If you decide to help out the effort, please post a reply in this thread with the link to your post or topic over there. Thanks!!!

2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
GreyDuck
Advanced Member
GreyDuck is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Re: Get Saturn on "Made in America"!!! Everyone, we need your help!!

http://discovery.infopop.net/1/OpenT...1216#640101216

My 2 cents.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreyDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Get Saturn on "Made in America"!!! Everyone, we need your help!!

Just replied, and maybe this should be a sticky at the top of the page?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
EvilCody
EvilCody is on a distinguished road

Location: Massachusetts (Currently stationed in Cherry Point N.C.)

1997 SL2
Default Re: Get Saturn on "Made in America"

Done!

Support our troops!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvilCody's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvilCody reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
ArghIGiveUp

I'm not trying to be negative here, but maybe people are missing something. Does it really count as being made in America when so many of the parts, even for the '91 model year, were made in places such as Canada and Mexico? Sure, it's assembled in America, but even the first Saturn contained a lot of foreign components.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArghIGiveUp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArghIGiveUp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 04-16-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

Actually, I think you missed the point.

The final assembly is in America. They've done Corvette, which isn't 100% from America, but the final assembly is. In fact, I'm betting most of the products they cover contain foreign parts, but they're "made" in America.

According to the sticker on my VUE, it's assembled with something like 95% American parts. That's "Made in America" to me!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2005, 01:14 AM   #7
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Done.

This seems like a really good idea. After overviewing the other shows that they have done, Saturn seems as if it could fit in quite nicely.

(Put something about "TV SHOW" in this thread's topic, I thought you were talking about parts content, and didn't click on it for a long time ) You'll probably attract more people to this thread if you say something about TV.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

Last edited by burnout; 04-17-2005 at 01:22 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'm not trying to be negative here, but maybe people are missing something. Does it really count as being made in America when so many of the parts, even for the '91 model year, were made in places such as Canada and Mexico? Sure, it's assembled in America, but even the first Saturn contained a lot of foreign components.
when the 1991 Saturn was introduced it was something like 97-98% USA parts. you'd have to look on the window sticker. from what I remember. the speakers are made in Japan, the spare tire jack is made in Canada. Canada and Mexico are part of NAFTA so we count them as part of America

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #9
ArghIGiveUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotovue
Actually, I think you missed the point.

The final assembly is in America. They've done Corvette, which isn't 100% from America, but the final assembly is. In fact, I'm betting most of the products they cover contain foreign parts, but they're "made" in America.

According to the sticker on my VUE, it's assembled with something like 95% American parts. That's "Made in America" to me!
Yeah, I guess I did.

I've never seen the show, so I wouldn't know what they would consider to be American-made.

If Corvettes can get on there, we for darn sure should be able to!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArghIGiveUp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArghIGiveUp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 04-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #10
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

We're just as much as freaks as the Vette owners are.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
when the 1991 Saturn was introduced it was something like 97-98% USA parts. you'd have to look on the window sticker. from what I remember. the speakers are made in Japan, the spare tire jack is made in Canada. Canada and Mexico are part of NAFTA so we count them as part of America

Yeah, I remember when we were in Spring Hill them telling us this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
EnglishSL2
Advanced Member
EnglishSL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol
LOL, that tickled me, dude! I just had to quote you in my signature elsewhere!

*Simon*

1993 Volkswagen Golf GTI. No Saturn at the moment, but one day, hopefully.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EnglishSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EnglishSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
nah, vette owners are way more freaky. you should goto a corvette club autocross. they have as many classes for corvettes as scca has for everything else. changing the blinker fluid or using aftermarket falangies puts you into another vette class.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:47 AM   #14
GreyDuck
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
nah, vette owners are way more freaky. you should goto a corvette club autocross. they have as many classes for corvettes as scca has for everything else. changing the blinker fluid or using aftermarket falangies puts you into another vette class.
Everyone in Bowling Green has a vette. And they are DIE-HARD.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #15
GreyDuck
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Alright come on guys, lets keep posting. I'd really love to see us FINALLY get the postive attention we deserve.

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #16
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that thread already has more posts than most on the travel channel forum. The 5 stars, and high post count will attract some 'higher-ups'.

http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/jrmia/jrmia.html

Click on "Suggest a Topic" and you'll be taken to the "Made in America" forum.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #17
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2

Posted on the Made In America forum!

Too bad we couldn't have John Ratzenberger JOIN us when we tour Spring Hill next month!

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #18
Admiral Beez
Advanced Member
Admiral Beez is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Some of the Big Three's (and Japan's) best vehicles are made here in Canada. I often try my best to buy made in Canada products.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Admiral Beez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Admiral Beez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #19
dp97sc2
dp97sc2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Hopefully,
we can get it on there when the last polymer rolls off the line. Then it will drum up more awareness that this good feature is going to be stupidly eliminated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dp97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dp97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #20
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Love the program, and love my Saturn. Haven't seen another
vehicle highlighted (ex. Harley-Davidson) on the show. I'm
happy to do my part if it helps promote the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread