SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
silverblueL200
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

Default Power steering pump replacement, difficulty & cost?

My power steering pump is making some horrible noises here lately, is this a difficult item to replace & is it overly expensive?

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
1stSaturnowner
1stSaturnowner is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Power steering pump replacement, difficulty & cost?

hey silverblueL200, did you get it the info you wanted?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1stSaturnowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1stSaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
jslw300
jslw300 is on a distinguished road

Sorry if this is obvious, but did you check the power steering fluid level...

I have ~180K on my LW300, 2001 and recently i heard a deep groaning type noise when I stopped at the gas pump (turning the wheel hard at a slow speed).
My power steering fluid was nearly empty. I was concerned that I might have had a leak, but it appears to be holding steady after a couple of weeks, so it must have just been a slow/over time kind of thing....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jslw300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jslw300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
1stSaturnowner

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Dizzy Re: Power steering pump replacement, difficulty & cost?

Because I went to the part center at the dealer(Saturn of Orange Park), and they told me it was like $300+ for a power steering pump! Needless to say, I was dumbfound and the service dept. rep. who was with me, and even he was surprised!! (shakes head) I am curious myself what the part would cost!! I don't know why the part was $300+, but I would not go buy a part that cost my arms and leg My goodness!!

Last edited by 1stSaturnowner; 04-27-2005 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Correction

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1stSaturnowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #5
btrautman
btrautman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSaturnowner
Because I went to the part center at the dealer(Saturn of Orange Park), and they told me it was like $300+ for a power steering pump! Needless to say, I was dumbfound and the service dept. rep. who was with me, and even he was surprised!! (shakes head) I am curious myself what the part would cost!! I don't know why the part was $300+, but I would not go buy a part that cost my arms and leg My goodness!!

You can get a new one from Autozone With reservoir for $72.00.. It is not that hard to install. It is at the top of the engine....

It really rubs me the wrong way when dealers act like thieves in trying to take as much money as they can get in purchasing parts. Saturn helps this along by not allowing the aftermarket to sell parts for their cars to a big extent....No more Saturn for me.......

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to btrautman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help btrautman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
1stSaturnowner

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank btrautman, I never thought about going to AutoZone or maybe, Advance Discount Auto Parts, and I agree with you about the "markups"! I thought the parts for my 93 Olds was expensive, (shakes head) my goodness!! Anyway, I hope this helps silverblueL200!!

Hey, btrautman, do you know if Autozone will that the old one back?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #7
btrautman
btrautman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSaturnowner
Thank btrautman, I never thought about going to AutoZone or maybe, Advance Discount Auto Parts, and I agree with you about the "markups"! I thought the parts for my 93 Olds was expensive, (shakes head) my goodness!! Anyway, I hope this helps silverblueL200!!

Hey, btrautman, do you know if Autozone will that the old one back?
I think they do want the old. I made a mistake in posting, the replacement pump does not come with reservoir, you need to use your old one.....

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to btrautman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help btrautman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
1stSaturnowner

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Happy Re: Power steering pump replacement, difficulty & cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrautman
I think they do want the old. I made a mistake in posting, the replacement pump does not come with reservoir, you need to use your old one.....

Bob
thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread