SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
94stoner
94stoner is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Bad Fuel Injector?

94 SL2 98,000 miles. Automatic
My #1 fuel injector is intermittent? When the engine is cold it works fine, I check this by pulling out the ignition wire to that cylinder expecting the motor to stumble or not. When I start my car when the engine is hot I get no fuel to that cylinder. The only way for me to get that injector going again is to tap that injector plug on top with the end of a screwdriver. Then it works. I already tried 2 bottles/tanks of the injector cleaner but still the same problem. My question is: Is the injector just clogged? Or the coil winding is bad?
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94stoner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94stoner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Bad Fuel Injector?

If you are tapping the injector connector to get it working there is a chancve that the connector has a problem with a loose connection. If you believe it to be the injector for sure try swapping the injector with another cylinder to see if the problem follows the injector. If it does replace it.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
> ssicarman <
> If you are tapping the injector connector to get it working there is a chance that the connector has a problem with a loose connection <
Very Good piece of analysis -- that slipped my mind. I would have simply assumed that it was the injector

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
94stoner

1994 SL2

Just an update.
I haven't did anything to my problem yet, but I found something out about gasoline. Everytime I fill up with ARCO gas 87 because it's the cheapest around here in LA I get my intermittent injector problem. But when I fill up with Mobil (87) my injector problem goes away and I do notice a little more power. Of course I shouldn't have any problems with any type of gas I use but it's strange. I still have to take care of my problem though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 94stoner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, I've been using Arco (Los Angeles & Orange Counties) for decades with no problems. You may, though, be getting bad gas from one particular "old" (thus underground tank) station.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
94stoner

1994 SL2

Luke I think you are correct. Since my last post here I have been using other brands of gasoline (even a different ARCO) and I don't have that injector problem anymore. BUT I did go back to that ARCO about two days ago and guess what! My injector problem came back. I won't go there anymore and now I have to put up with my problem until I use up all of that gas.
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

To make sure that it's not the injector, you could try swapping number one with 2 or 3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

I woud be a little suspicious of the fuel as problem idea. If it was fuel, would you have problems with other injectors as well? Also tapping on injector wouldn't solve the problem. Still sounds like a short in the injector connection. Could be mistaken, but I would try swapping injectors just to see what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:30 PM   #9
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansl2
I woud be a little suspicious of the fuel as problem idea. If it was fuel, would you have problems with other injectors as well?
not nessicirally, if the injectior is partilly clogged the better gas(Mobil) may work but the lower quality fuel(ARCO) won't. its possible but i don't think that is the cause in this case. i think i'm going with ssicarman on this one.

first measure resistance of the injectior both cold and hot and compare. if you have a NOID light handy, you may want to see it you are getting a injectior signal when warm, then with the NOID light still installed wiggle the wire and connectior see if the signal changes. also you can use a mechanic's sheitiscope or a long flathead screwdriver to listen for the injectior ticking. if the injectior is ticking and you have no fuel, the injectior sounds clogged to me. also visually inspect the connectior.

one way or the other, odds are the injectior will need replaced, or there is a small chance the connectior/wiring is damaged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2
Default Arco Customer Relations Complaint

Arco Customer Relations Complaint telephone number is 1800 - 322 - 2726

You'll need the station location and "number"; you'll find that on your receipt.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 06-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

a wise old Standard Oil of Ohio (now BP) engineer once told me:

switch brands of gas often
everybody cheats on the additives but everybody cheats on different ones at different times

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread