SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
EvilCody
EvilCody is on a distinguished road

Location: Massachusetts (Currently stationed in Cherry Point N.C.)

1997 SL2
Default My 1997 SL2 tune-up:

Well I went to my local auto hobby shop on base and I finally started doing some preventive maintenance to my baby.

Yesterday I changed the sparkplugs and to my suprise found almost no oil and burning. I did find that one gasket on the far right plug opening had a leak but it was VERY minor at that. I'm very suprised because I hear all the time that Saturns leak like hell but my 97 with 80k miles must be a special case.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm planning on replacing the gasket and cleanining out the throttle body. Are there any more suggestions for things I could do to keep my car running as smooth as it is now? I'm not replacing the ECT because it's not broke and I'm not going to stark spelunking(sp?) into my car to fix something that works fine.

Adam

(I promise I'll take some picture if I get around to it...)

Support our troops!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvilCody's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvilCody reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: My 1997 SL2 tune-up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCody
Are there any more suggestions for things I could do to keep my car running as smooth as it is now? I'm not replacing the ECT because it's not broke and I'm not going to stark spelunking(sp?) into my car to fix something that works fine.
Change the ECT sensor. That's a know design flaw, and it will eventually fail. Saturn even issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) about it.

Anyway, in my opinion, it's easier to change the ECT sensor than to change the valve cover gasket (successfully w/o leaking).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I absolutely love the Auto Skills Shop at an AFB. Nice warm garage with lots of tools, lifts, and expertise.

As far as PMs for Saturns goes, if you don't have the brass ECTS, you might as well spend the $18 and replace it. The resin ones will fail sooner rather than later. Other things to check should include the serp belt, check and clean the ignition coil towers of corrosion then apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to protect them, and just a general check of all the fluids and air filter. Thats just good PM for any Saturn. Anything else is a waste of time until something actually happens that warrants work. For me, until the throttle starts getting sticky at idle position, I wont clean it.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
EvilCody
EvilCody is on a distinguished road

Location: Massachusetts (Currently stationed in Cherry Point N.C.)

1997 SL2

Replacing the ECTS hmm... does anyone have any pictures/instructions? I know it's fairly easy to do I just prefer to have some reasurance when doing it.

I think I'll pass on the TB cleaning too. I'm still going to inspect it though for excess gunk and do what both of you recommended.

Support our troops!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvilCody's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvilCody reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCody
Replacing the ECTS hmm... does anyone have any pictures/instructions?
Top 2 threads in the How-To Library Forum (subforum of Tech Talk). Those threads were made "stickies" to keep them at the top for a reason. Replacing the ECT sensor is probably the most frequently recommended repair mentioned on this forum for S-Series cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
Amp67
Amp67 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I would recommend the water decarbonization. It doesn't cost anything, and you'll be amazed by the amount of gunk coming out of the tailpipe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Amp67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Amp67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread