SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Default Oil Change 2003 L200

Now that my warranty has expired, I would like to do my own oil changes. Where do you get the socket to take off the oil filter cap on an Ecotec? Is it a standard 14-flat oil filter socket, or do you have to get a special socket for it from Saturn/GM? I feel stupid asking this question, but considering the cap is plastic, I really don't want to use a pair of channel lock pliers or some other shade-tree method to get the cap off. Thanks ahead of time.....

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1
Default Re: Oil Change 2003 L200

My daughter has a Grand Am with an Ecotec
I just use a six point socket
can't remember what size it is
definitely not a special tool

that filter setup is the nicest one going
easy to access and doesn't spill a drop
make sure to snap the new filter into the cap, then thread the cap by hand into the block
check your manual for the proper torque on the cap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

1 1/4 inch on the raised middle hex part of the cap. Use either a socket or a wrench. Watch high tight you go on it. Torque spec may be printed on the cap.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
David
David is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Word of Caution on Removing the Oil Filter Cap

You can use a 1 1/4 inch socket to loosen the cap. Not sure what size this is in mm.

However, on the L you can't use a regular 1 1/14 inch socket to remove the cap because the socket will probably hit the bottom of the intake manifold. I use a crescent wrench once I've got it loosened or unscrew it by hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I noticed on the top of the cap it says 75Nm...what is that in ft-lbs.? Thanks everyone, I'll go pick up that socket today.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Word of Caution on Removing the Oil Filter Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
However, on the L you can't use a regular 1 1/14 inch socket to remove the cap because the socket will probably hit the bottom of the intake manifold. I use a crescent wrench once I've got it loosened or unscrew it by hand.
Not true on our 2002 L100 SE. The 1 1/4" socket fits fine for loosening the filter cap. I wonder what's different about your setup?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Check the L-series boards with a search, sat 69.
A couple of weeks ago, spork or somebody posted something regarding this. I have tried a 1 1/4" socket to no avail. After you turn the socket about 1/8 turn, the socket hits the intake manifold. Somebody mentioned to machine down the socket. Great idea if you can find someone with a lathe.

While it may sound shadetree, I have used a crescent wrench with success. After you remove it the first time, don't tighten it too tight when you put it back on. Hand tight, and maybe a tad more with the wrench. The o-ring seals pretty well that way. After installing, run the engine to see if there is any leak there. (there usually isn't)

Hope this helps.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

You may have misread the cap, here's what the book says:

Tighten the oil filter cap until fully seated, DO NOT exceed 25 Nm (18 lb ft).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
napa1
napa1 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I use a 1 1/4 inch 1/2 drive, with an eight inch extension to clear wires etc. This is an NAPA brand socket which fits well and has enough clearance to fit. Drain oil pan first and leave plug out. Remove the filter cap from the housing and lift out the element and then the oil will drain from the housing with out air locking. Replace the oil pan plug. Clean o rings and inspect real well , replace if needed. Lubricate the o rings on the cap and install the filter and cap in an assembly. Torque to about 18 inch ls. Add the 5 qts of high grade 5w30. Check for leaks and you are done. These are one of the easiest cars to change oil and filter. Check all the liquids, belts, hoses, air filter and check the cabin filter a few times each year.
Bill the NAPA Man
napa1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to napa1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help napa1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
JPDucketts
JPDucketts is on a distinguished road

I use a 1 1/4 craftsman socket that I cut down to clear the intake manifold. I wouldn't use a cresent wrench to do it. snap-on and mac do make special sockets for this purpose but it is not worth the $25.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPDucketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPDucketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2005, 11:08 PM   #11
btrautman
btrautman is on a distinguished road

A typical socket will not work...it will hit the intake manifold. I have been doing my own oil changes for quite some time.... 2001 L200. Just use a large crescent wrench. The cap is not torqued down that much..if you torque it too much you will crack the cap. Using a crescent wrench will not mar it at all....

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to btrautman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help btrautman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread